Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an estimate for replacing the front engine crankcase gasket/seal, it seems to be way too much (over $2400 including coolant).
Any of you guys had this done? Also the gearbox is a little wet on the outside.
How about the right catalyst replacement? The estimate from previous owner shows $2470 at Ferarri Maserati of Seattle. Do we really need catalysts? I would rather spend that money on some custom exhaust.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the the front crank seal done on my car under warantee. It supposedly a huge amount of labor (removing radiator and front bumper). I will look for the paperwork to see how many hours it supposedly was, but it did take a few days, so guessing that it was a lot.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It shows 18 hours for the seal anf 3.5 hours for the catalyst but just the part for this last one is close to $2000. Thanks for your help.
h.h.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Luckily, done while still under warranty

I had the front timing cover gasket replaced at 10,000 miles on my 2003 Maserati Coupe CC. Is that the same thing as the crankcase cover?? Anyway, I had a very slight leakage. My local foreign car mechanic called it "seepage" and that all cars "seep" a bit. I told my dealership (FM of Orange County, CA) and the Service Manager John told me he had seen a number of late model Maserati Coupes/Spyders with that problem. He said that the cover in that area had some weird corners and that a silicone gasket is used which tends to leak. To make a long story short, the car was repaired under warranty and was in the shop 5 days. They did a great job and no "seepage" since (18 months and 2,000 miles).

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You only need the front catalysts...

The ones in the rear are extra's.. If the front ones are bad you can gut them and replace them with MaxFlo or other catalysts. I would ask Jeff from FD to chime in here as he has replacements for this...

As for the seal, putting in the seal is a several hour job, as you can't just remove the oil crankcase cover/oil pan and replace the gasket without having to pull loads of stuff out of the way... $2400.00 seems a bit high but I don't know what the flat rate manual says...

MC12 or Kent Woodward need to chime in here, they know these rates and how hard the job is...

If I were doing it myself, I am sure it would be a day job but I don't do this for a living anymore.. it's not quite as easy as dropping the pan on an old small block chevy...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts