Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Gransport that is still under warranty until May 2009. I just found a hairline crack in the rear wheel that is causing it to lose air. I did not have an accident or hit anything. There is no obvious damage to the wheel other than that small crack and the tire is brand new.

Since I bought the car used, I am not that familiar with the Factory Warranty.
Does anyone know if this would be covered under warranty?

Also, other than the dealer, does anyone have a good source for these wheels?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Don't drive that car with that cracked wheel as you will assume all risks and preclude any recovery should it develop into a problem.

Do whatever you can to find a replacement until you resolve the issue.

Chances are that an 05 would be out of warranty (?) and that would preclude a manufacturer's replacement.

Pleanty of folks sell replacement wheels. Check eBay as wheel shops will take them in trade when selling new rims/tires, and will subsequently offer them at great pricing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had the right rear on mine crack.... You can have the wheel re-furbished at a local wheel store, pay $712.00 for one from Eurospares or pay an arm and a leg to get one from Maserati.. Also watch Ebay...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would be very suprised if you got your wheel replaced under warranty. Some shops will weld a small crack but it depends on where it is and the general condition of the wheel itself. It is about $150 - $200 to have it welded.

I have seen a few 18" wheels on eBay recently and I recently purchased a 19" wheel from www.lawheels.com for a reasonable amount of money.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That looks like a stress crack and not a fatigue crack.

So either as FastFreddy said it's a result of improper tire installation or you hit something like a pothole.

Either way it is not good! But you knew that!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I ended up sending my wheel to these guys for repair.

They welded the crack, re-machined the wheel for trueness, and refinished the wheel in the original factory color for $240.

A new wheel at the dealer would have cost me $1300! They turned it around within a week and did an excellent job. I would highly recommend them if you have any wheel issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Great. I used these guys for about a half-dozen BBS wheels on my BMW and was more than happy with their quality and price. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had the right rear on mine crack.... You can have the wheel re-furbished at a local wheel store, pay $712.00 for one from Eurospares or pay an arm and a leg to get one from Maserati.. Also watch Ebay...
you can't repair a cracked wheel (safely), read my previous posts on Maserati wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts