Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trading, for obvious reasons, my Carrera in for an 05 Coup or GSport, there's about a $10K diff between the two models, can someone tell me what the main diff is and if it's worth the spend. Thank you. S-

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
You'll find plenty of info on the site.

Here is a quick rundown:

GS extra features vs Coupe
- 10 HP
- Exhaust (producing a very nice sound)
- Body kit
- Lower ride
- Faster gear changes (only available with CambioCorsa gearbox)
- 19" wheels
- Carbon Fibre interiors
- Hill holder

Generally the GS has a better handling than the Coupe. As per the Top Gear review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mo4ZhNNNwM

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You can make the Coupe perform like a GS with FD parts (www.formuladynamics.com), and you can also buy a body kit to make it look like the GS, but you can't get the carbon fiber interior and the faster gear changes.

I personaly never liked much the Coupe until they released the GS.

Bottom line, if you can, buy a GS. IMO.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I prefer to work the gears myself

for me, that is 90% of the fun and so, a coupe gt it was.
Also, no f1 pump failures to deal with- just the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
You can make the Coupe perform like a GS with FD parts (www.formuladynamics.com), and you can also buy a body kit to make it look like the GS, but you can't get the carbon fiber interior and the faster gear changes.

I personaly never liked much the Coupe until they released the GS.

Bottom line, if you can, buy a GS. IMO.
I say he should get a GS and the FD Mods :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...the you tube piece is very telling...i work hard for my $'s so i was really thinking just save the 10 g's and go Coup but after that video clip i'm really thinking what the hell, i can afford it, the GS is worth the x money - i also hear it's a falacy that the Mas are hi maint, I have a BM'r too and I love it but not as much as it loves the "dealership only" repairs, sure would be nice to have a hi perf car that gave me a break on the freq flier miles repairs.. S-

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I say he should get a GS and the FD Mods :D
Like we did...;)

PS- BigFoot, I ordered ECU + DBW + air filter + springs + Tubi last Friday. Can't wait to get them installed! I'm curious to hear you car with the high-flow cats!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Nice one mate

Will post videos of the exhaust sound the minute I get my hands on the car :D (well, not that same minute ;)).

If I manage to keep the car (darn credit crunch), I am thinking of putting on the sway bars (assuming the reviews indicate they don't make the car too twitchy in city driving) and if Jeff gets a move on, a nice supercharger :D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I almost got the sway bars, but I'm afraid it was going to be overkill since I don't do track driving. But let's wait until people buy it and give us some reviews.;)

More than the supercharger, I'm interested in that "manettino" kinda system that FD is also developing. It will be nice to be able to adjust the suspension stiffness maintaining the fast shifts from sport mode.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
True, that's an interesting mod, but I don't really need to make the car softer - even in city driving ;)

Something to improve the shift times would be good though, wonder if the shift speed is constrained by the software or the mechanical parts (or both)...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would like to play the devils advocate:

I would suggest getting an 05 or newer COUPE CC, and then spending the 10k on the mods that Formula Dynamics has made for the cars.

Here is my logic:

The Coupe looks like the GS, minus the side skirts.
You will never REALLY need that "faster" shifting...
With the FD mods, you will get the nicer exhaust sound, it will handle leagues better than a GS, go faster than a GS, and so on and so forth...

You will get WAY better performance than the GS and will have saved money too.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
...the you tube piece is very telling...i work hard for my $'s so i was really thinking just save the 10 g's and go Coup but after that video clip i'm really thinking what the hell, i can afford it, the GS is worth the x money - i also hear it's a falacy that the Mas are hi maint, I have a BM'r too and I love it but not as much as it loves the "dealership only" repairs, sure would be nice to have a hi perf car that gave me a break on the freq flier miles repairs.. S-
good decision.

IMO get the GS. if you like how the GS looks, drives, and feels, go for it.
why bother with getting a cheaper car?

get the best car you can afford.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
+1

The GS is the top of the line, so if you can afford it why get the lower version and modify it to make it like the GS? It doesn't make sense. Like BigFoot said, buy the GS, do the mods and then you're going to have the best Maserati made. Not even the new GT-S is better.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
oops, forgot that one! :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Well, perhasp the MC12 is a tad better ;)

Oh and get it in Nero Carbonio, the fastest colour around ;)
there's an MC 12 around with Edo competition mods to 700 hp, so that it is just a tad better than other lowly MC12's that it might encounter on the road.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts