Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Radio on my 2002 Coupe has the dreaded sticky button disease. A new radio costs thousands and a new CD changer costs thousands more. I'd rather just trash the 14 year old technology and replace everything with a modern Alpine or similar system that will allow me to have integrated GPS, Rear video, back up alarm, much better audio, etc.

I looked online for posts on how to replace the factory plastic radio surround with a custom aftermarket surround that will allow me to put an Alpine double din unit in the car and have it look OEM. Unfortunately, the most recent post I found was dated 2007.

Does anyone know if there are any companies out there that make custom aftermarket surrounds for the radio that will fit right into my dash the way the factory unit fits? Has anyone installed any modern audio equipment in their Spyder or Coupe and can recommend brands and installers (I live in LA).

Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
With inexpensive 3D printers available, we should find someone to do the drawings for a custom surround for a high end unit and we can get them printed. 3D printing should be a good option for low production car parts. What do you guys think? Does anyone have the skills to do the 3D model?

Maybe we should have a location on the site for 3D drawings for parts.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I have been working on a 3D model of the bezel as well. I want to install the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX double DIN unit. the only issue is whether I can remote mount the main unit. I have removed the removable face plate of the Pioneer and I am in the process of making up a long ribbon cable to test whether the signal loss for the display is too much to remote mount it. You can see the link to my thread regarding keeping the Maserati display of the HVAC and trip page. we are working on the video conversion board now so i can input the Maserati display into an auxilliary video input of the Pioneer unit. I have already soldered in wires to the right push/knob and the Trip button and the 4 way flasher button and tested them. As i discuss in my thread, i will install three micro momentary contact switches in the new bezel to keep these functions. I will post more over the next week or so.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can help with the 3D model and Printing, if needed. The real issue is depth in that space. I used the Alpine iLX-007 as I thought it has the least depth. I wish there was just a Display Unit and a remote head unit available somewhere. I even tried finding the Board to Board connector for the Display so I could build a cable to interface the Display to the Stereo/Headunit, but I could not source this connector.

I had to remove all the connectors on the rear of the unit and wire them directly to the board because if you even used right angle connectors on the back of the unit, it added too much depth and hit the airbox. Even after doing this, I had to machine down the aluminum heat sink in the back of the radio so it wouldn't hit the airbox.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Please pardon the ignorance but why is it not possible for example to put an Android or iOS based tablet there (with the surroundings printed on a 3D printer) and then use the Bluetooth to connect to a remotely mounted stereo unit (say in the trunk).

Use the tablet to store and play the content and the bluetooth to send it to the stereo for playback. Offline GPS apps can be used for GPS or alternatively use the cell connection for Google Map based GPS.

·
Registered
671 Posts
1. make a custom IO board that accepts all Maserati cables that plug into the stereo unit.
2. Get a $35 andruino computer to convert these signals to usb format.
3. Write android app that has the correct graphics for the AC, Stereo, phone connections
4. install an android tablet in place of the stereo
5. plug the converted usb into the tablet
Voila- modern, upgreadable, "smart" infotainment
From what I have seen the Maserati stereo unit is Windows based anyway...

·
Registered
149 Posts
A 2 DIN is about 7"x4" and an iPad Mini is 7-3/4" x 5-3/8" so it won't fit. You could probably do a 6s Plus, but then you would have to rely on other gadgets to get Radio, Back Up Camera, Etc.

For me I don't maintain a high level of Audio files on my phone/devices... Also I am the only loser who still uses Sprint and their data sucks... Furthermore, I hate subscriptions so all the nice music apps require spending $5-$10 a month to eliminate commercials and shit.

I guess I am just too lazy... I still can hook up my iPhone, USB, Etc to my Alpine...

Finally I had no other options as either my Mas Headunit or my Amp was shot and it didn't make any sense to buy a used one in hopes it was one or the other. Also all of the speakers were falling apart due to age and quality.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1. make a custom IO board that accepts all Maserati cables that plug into the stereo unit.
2. Get a $35 andruino computer to convert these signals to usb format.
3. Write android app that has the correct graphics for the AC, Stereo, phone connections
4. install an android tablet in place of the stereo
5. plug the converted usb into the tablet
Voila- modern, upgreadable, "smart" infotainment
From what I have seen the Maserati stereo unit is Windows based anyway...

Let me know when that is a finished product!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking into a wiring option that would "trick" my 2003 CC into thinking it was playing the CD changer but, in fact, playing an iPhone input. In the end, I decided it was just easier to get a cup holder from Lorenz06-MT (it is great BTW) and get an UE Boom 2 wireless speaker and play, via Bluetooth, anything off my phone. The sound fills the cabin even with the top down. I replaced the sticky buttons myself which was actually easier than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Radio on my 2002 Coupe has the dreaded sticky button disease. A new radio costs thousands and a new CD changer costs thousands more. I'd rather just trash the 14 year old technology and replace everything with a modern Alpine or similar system that will allow me to have integrated GPS, Rear video, back up alarm, much better audio, etc.

I looked online for posts on how to replace the factory plastic radio surround with a custom aftermarket surround that will allow me to put an Alpine double din unit in the car and have it look OEM. Unfortunately, the most recent post I found was dated 2007.

Does anyone know if there are any companies out there that make custom aftermarket surrounds for the radio that will fit right into my dash the way the factory unit fits? Has anyone installed any modern audio equipment in their Spyder or Coupe and can recommend brands and installers (I live in LA).

Any help will be much appreciated.
Are you interested in selling your old radio unit? [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Are you interested in selling your old radio unit? [email protected]
You are posting in a 4 year old thread to someone that hasn't logged in for two. If you need radio parts or sticky buttons fixed, you might try searching for that or starting a new thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts