Maserati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 4200 came with only one key & the key it came with is in such horrible condition. I have been worried that it will break so I am pretty careful with it but have been looking into getting a replacement.

There are no cheap alterntives for 4200s currently, no reproductions of blue key the car came with so It seemed like the only option was the dealer or OEM key cut and programed by dealer level software, not exactly inexpensive. The Granturismo and Quattroporte both have inexpensive replacement keys so I thought it would slove the 4200s problem if retrofit was possible.

As a temporary solution I bought one of the cheap no button red keys that is just a Fiat/Alfa Romeo Blank which I was going to have cut atleast to open the trunk and doors. While this would be good in an emergency, everday use wasn't really an option with it.

For over a year I questioned, was a Granturismo key cut to work for a 4200 possible, The short anwser is No (Maybe possible but I don't know how). The blade itself is a different style, so I searched for what key blank the 4200 uses. Figuring out the blade design was pretty easy but finding the blanks was pretty hard espically blades that would be compatible with the GT/QP flip key. I bought a granturismo replacement key with the internal electronics. I was able to sucessfully swap over the blade which I think was the biggest hurdle.

I ordered 5 blank blades since the shipping was expensive to get them from overseas, and didn't want to just buy one. If anyone wants to try the retrofit PM me I have the blades that are needed.

My new Granturismo key is all set to be finish, but my car is in the shop having the A/C worked on. So the final verdict will have to wait for a few more days. It should work just how others have been able to self program keys with the cars learn feature, granted this only is an option if you currently have a working key. Worst case I'll have this programmed by my indy shop and I should be good to go. If the DIY way works I should be all in under $100 plus you get the flip key, which is cool!

Here are some pictures

·
Registered
359 Posts
If this works, please let us know. I ordered a replacement key from Maserati for $400. Then had to take the car 5 hrs to the nearest Ferrari dealer for programming, 1hr service another $150, bypassing 2 Maserati dealers on the way, because they couldn't program the car. From what I've been told it takes either a Leonardo or SD2/3 system to program the car to accept a new key. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts