Maserati Forum banner

Coupe/Spyder End-of-Life Concerns?

6K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
Now that the current models are kaput, I suppose the natural question to ask is whether it is a wise choice to hang on to them or not? The upside is that they will become more collectible as the last "Ferrari-inspired Maseratis", but the downside may be availability of parts and spares.

I'd like to hear your collective thoughts on this. I'm really torn on this one.

As an aside, the Tesla looks quite intriguing to me...thinking about plonking down a deposit on a 2008 "just in case"...

#4 ·
These models may be collectible, but, will depreciate precipitously as soon as the GT becomes available. The '05s and '06s will be valued in the low $40k and possibly in hi $30k range in 12 to 18 mos. If you love the car keep it and enjoy. If your trying not to lose too much, sell or trade asap.

#7 ·
I disagree. The new GT appears to be a very different car, with no link to Ferrari. Further, since spottings of Maseratis are so rare to begin with, the 05 and 06 bodies won't look any more aged in three years than they do now. If anything, I would expect values to continue the decline at no worse than usual pace, and maybe less.

#5 ·
I tend to agree. Putting issues of desire and space aside, the "cash" value of the car is far outweighed by its performance and exclusivity. There are so few on the road, it will remain a head-turner and conversation-starter even as the new model is rolled out. For those "automotively vain," the average person will not know these cars can be had for so little. I consistently get asked how much the car costs, and when i tell them they can get a new one in the 100k range, they are shocked that the price is so low. This demonstrates what Kalbfell was talking about relative to the perceived position of Maserati in the automotive pecking order.

Finally, though the styling of the original coupe may be a bit conservative, it is nonetheless "classic" looking, much like a Patek Calatrava or even a Rolex DateJust. I don't think our cars will ever be in or out of style; anything Italian with a compliment of curves will always be celebrated. Some people think our cars are much older than they are because of that classic appeal.

I'm keeping mine indefinitely. I did add a Miata to "mia scuderia" recently (which I LOVE by the way) to mitigate the mileage issue on my Maserati, but otherwise, it's staying.

#9 ·
If the new Maserati is a hit, and the number of dealerships expands, it may bouy up the value of the older cars.
Drivers who desire the 120K Gran Tourismo but can not afford it may look at an older coupe.
If more dealerships start popping up, the concerns about where to get it serviced may subside.

#10 ·
My car is wonderful! I only financed a small amount so I'm not too worried about depreciation. The question to keep or not has a lot to do with out-of-warranty service cost and whether MNA will offer extended warranty on this model. I have this weird feeling we'll get left in the dust. Did I mention I love my coupe? :)

#11 ·
Valuation

I guess I'm just not following the logic. Why is there any reason to believe that these cars should depreciate precipitously faster than say an SL 55 AMG? Warranty issues aside, when u mix the exclusivity factor as well as the other issues that drove people to purchase the maserati to begin with, i just didn't see why things would change on a relative basis.

One might argue that the model change is the reason, but like the post before, the exclusive nature of the car seems to further the idea that they are just different models in a line-up rather than replacements. They don't have the same name either! Its not like the BMW 3 series change, or the Jeep Grand Cherokee change, when they literally both went from boxes to a smoother shape.

We've been through the other issues regarding the new GT over and over as well.. the performance is worse and the styling is more Japanese save for that amazing looking front air intake.

If anything, I'd have to imagine that the GranSport would hold its value significantly better than the coupe. The race inspired seats, larger front intake, bodywork, etc, clearly sets it apart from anything else... even the coupe. (Thats not just b/c i own a GS, though it is largely why i bought it instead of the coupe even though performance is nearly the same).

With the logic being used for depreciation on the 05/06... i guess ill be able to pick up some 03/04 for ~ 20k. I just don't think people will be selling used coupes/spyders at the same price point as used Lexus GS 330s.

#12 ·
I guess I'm just not following the logic. Why is there any reason to believe that these cars should depreciate precipitously faster than say an SL 55 AMG? Warranty issues aside, when u mix the exclusivity factor as well as the other issues that drove people to purchase the maserati to begin with, i just didn't see why things would change on a relative basis.

One might argue that the model change is the reason, but like the post before, the exclusive nature of the car seems to further the idea that they are just different models in a line-up rather than replacements. They don't have the same name either! Its not like the BMW 3 series change, or the Jeep Grand Cherokee change, when they literally both went from boxes to a smoother shape.

We've been through the other issues regarding the new GT over and over as well.. the performance is worse and the styling is more Japanese save for that amazing looking front air intake.

If anything, I'd have to imagine that the GranSport would hold its value significantly better than the coupe. The race inspired seats, larger front intake, bodywork, etc, clearly sets it apart from anything else... even the coupe. (Thats not just b/c i own a GS, though it is largely why i bought it instead of the coupe even though performance is nearly the same).

With the logic being used for depreciation on the 05/06... i guess ill be able to pick up some 03/04 for ~ 20k. I just don't think people will be selling used coupes/spyders at the same price point as used Lexus GS 330s.

Good points.....it is worth distinguishing between GS and coupe because GS was only made two years. Also, don't expect values to drop too quickly until you start seeing the 02's and 03's get into the high $20's low $30's. Assuming the market is even slightly efficient, there will be a nice bump on the values of 06's and 05's versus earlier models. Why would someone pay $45 for an 02 if they could get an 06 for the same price? The point is they won't be able to, because the premium will continue until we get far enough away from 06 and warranty issues are no longer a factor.
I think you'll see things unfold the same way as what happened with the NSX. A 92 is about the same as a 96, but only because we are so far removed from those years. In both cases, values have leveled off, and a great NSX still brings about $30k, and has for many years.
Still bullish on GS values!

#13 ·
Well, given that the Coupe is better looking than the GS :) (I don't like cars that wear "skirts", and the 7 spoke wheels on the Coupe look sooo much cleaner), my hopes are buoyed a bit.

My main concern was/is parts availability. While parts are available for most Ferraris, as someone points out, it isn't uncommon to wait weeks for them.

Back to the other topic, any thoughts on the 2008 Tesla?

#14 ·
Rick,

Having owned an 02 coupe before the GS, I can see where you are coming from. Personally, I like the looks of the "skirts" and the wheels of the GS more, but also like the clean look of the coupe. All that said, the skirts are strictly aesthetic with no practicality whatsoever. I learned that the hard way the first time I got out of the car after driving in the rain, and had to go change my soaking pants.
Steve

#16 ·
The new Gran T won "best in show" at the Geneva auto show. I just read that today in Autoweek. In my opinion (which means about as much as pissing in the wind) I would like to see Maserati have the Gran and the Sedan. Sell the Gran T. for $130,000 and have another version of it like the GS for $150,000 ish. and Keep the sedan as. Then have a smaller 2 seater 2 door model aval for around $80,000.

I love the new interior on the Maserati. It is red red

#18 ·
i don't see any new spyders for 2007. may be not even 2008.

i agree with steve's more optimistic projections.

if anything that sharply decrease the value of the giugiaro coupe/spyder/GS it is not the new GT but the lack of warranty. many times i have mentioned here for MNA to be successful, they need to back up the current owners with a good extended warranty.

#19 ·
M!, I couldn't agree more. It seems insane to me that the value of a low-mile Maserati has to plummet because of the lack of a reasonably priced extended warranty safety net. I might or might not get one, but the mere existence of one would allay some potential buyers' fears.

#22 ·
Obviously the laws of supply and demand, but Coupe/GS prices in the UK are rock-solid. I can say that prices are pretty much at par as same time last year, and you've added 1 year of usage. Obviously this applies to low mileage examples, which have done circa 5K miles in 10-12 months.

#23 ·
I'm bullish on GS prices. When the GT rolls out people, and I mean Maserati-people, will realize that they have thrown away the sporting Maserati, the Ferrari-Maserati, in a bid to compete for marketshare with Benz and others....as a result the "last of the great sporting Ferrari-derived Maseratis" (the late model GS and MCV) will remain somewhat desirable. I'll be keeping mine until I know Maserati is back with a sportscar...which won't be for years. Current GS owners aren't really going to want the GT when they get in it (I wager) and won't part with their GS very easily....just another opinion.......

#25 ·
Gota hold on

For me the GS is still the best bang for my $$$. The 400+ club is starting to fill up M3, RS4, ISF and so on. But none have the flair, presence and ambiance of the GS. The price may drop but the intangibles will remain. Read the responses from the new wave of owners (people picking up 2002 at great prices) the current cars will be in style for a long time.

PD

#26 ·
The 390 club ain't bad either, and you don't have to wear a skirt... ;-)

#30 ·
Ok I'm starting to look a little sooner than expected. I have narrowed my choices down to 3 cars Gransport 2005, coupe 2005, and a BMW 645 conv.

I figure a good deal will come down the road in the next 2-3 months.

I'm hoping to find a nice coupe 2005 in the hi 40's-lo 50's.

#33 ·
I reckon the new model GT will only serve to improve brand recognition and bring more buyers to the used Maserati market. I haven't seen one yet (just got my invite to the UK launch) but by all accounts it is bigger and fatter and slower than the outgoing model and fits more into the niche occupied by the Aston DB9.
I had a DB9 on order but after having driven several examples, both auto and manual I pulled out and went for the AM V8 instead as a more involving drivers car. For this reason I feel there will still be a demand for a more sporting car, keeping the Maser coupe market bouyant with sporting drivers, long-term maserati fans and new owners brought to the marque by the international exposure of the new model.
BTW: The GS in particular offers a better drive and better much better value overall than my V8 Vantage. Though perhaps not as pretty.......It's just an opinion.:)

#39 ·
BMW much like Porsche quit building sports cars with souls a long time ago...I still wish I had my friends cars from HS one had a black E30 M3 widebody the other a grey market import white MB 190 evolution both were beautiful...and I still dream of them both on occasion

#41 ·
Also realize that the M6 has essentially zero rear set legroom. I seriously considered one until I sat in the back at the dealership. The Maserati, while tight, can legitimately fit adults.

#42 · (Edited)
leg room for back seat? not worried about that of in a sports car . I am just a BMW guy so leaning towards the m6... but forget tat

It is rare I had 4 people in my car so thats not an issue. Just myself and as long a set of golf clubs and a weekend bag fits is all my worry.

I do remember having 4 gorgous blondes (3 smashed togather in the back seat) in the m3 vert driving back after a good night of partying to drop them off sunday mourning (their hair was all messed up from last night in same clothes etc) and the top was down I pulled up to a male in his 30-40s in a mini van with his ole lady and he just glazed at us forever at the light! she was a bigger women just looking at us as well. It was classic

It was one of the best moments in that car besides doing a donuts and figure 8s in a grass field while raining with the top down

I did decide I am going to get a 2003-2006 Yellow spyder GT soon. I just need to finally buy this condo here then comes the Maserati. If all goes to plan I will own a yellow spyder GT in September

I am going to just do it.It will be nice since an m6 will be around 85-90k while a used Maserati will be around 45k-60k. so savings is huge and I will just budget 3-4 grand per year for tires and any work if needed

So excited to get a Maserati !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.