Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at the Focal 165CA1 6-1/2" speakers for my front doors, and thought I would also look into replacing the speakers in the side panels by the rear seats.

Does anyone know what size those things are??? I'm guess from the looks after pulling off the cover, that they are 5 x 7? They are too small to be 6 x 9. I've just never seen that size before......

I don't think I'll replace, what Maserati calls the Sub-woofer speakers on the rear parcel shelf behind the rear seats. But, anyone know the size of those just in case.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've already replaced the fronts, and am using an audio control device for line level conversion and a 5 channel amp for front/rear/sub. I was thinking of replacing the rear deck speakers for some better volume and fill, and just disconnecting the side panels. The sound quality difference is easily noticable from front to rear with my Memphis components up front and the factory rears. Where did you see the rear decks are called subwoofer speakers? Are the rear decks and side panels part of a three way crossover, and that is why they only appear together as two rear channels?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooops, my mistake... I looked in the parts manual again and caught my error...

They call the rear deck speakers: Loud Speaker Woofer

They call the speakers by the rear seats: Loud Speaker

The Front Door speakers are called: Loud Speaker Woofer

The Front Door Tweeters are called: Loud Speaker Tweeter

The only reference I could find for a "Sub Woofer" is what they call the speaker in the Spyder just below the headrest: Part number 189405.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I know the upper rears in a spyder are 5.25" rounds I would assume the package shelf on the coupe to be the same

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The factory speaker measures 5", I replaced them with 5.25"

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm using an audio control LC6i.

FD - Did you replace the rear deck and side speakers? I was thinking about disconnecting the sides and just replacing the rear decks for volume and fill, but is there a crossover hidden somewhere that uses the deck as a woofer and the side panel for mid and high? I assume this because the NIT only has a 4 channel amp...

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Yes, I cut in some 6x9's where the 5x7's were. We replaced all the speakers and the deck but we desperately need to install an amplifier as the new deck amp doesn't cut it. I don't remember a cross over, but it's been a while.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm on Focal in my GS - here some pics and the Focal products used:
http://www.exclusivcarhifi.ch/Maserati_Gran_Sport.42.0.html

One of my main requirements this time round was not to fill the car with hi-fi so no subwoofer in the trunk etc. Also, from past experience (a 3200GT a few years back http://www.exclusivcarhifi.ch/Maserati_3200_GT_Bj_2005.1258.0.html) we opted NOT to use or install any rear shelf speakers at all (more effort than it was worth) and the system sounds fantastic with just front & rear side speakers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have decided to replace the rear deck speakers with upgraded 5.25's. Has anyone removed the rear deck, and can explain the steps? It looks like its going to be a major pain getting a deeper replacement speaker mounted in place without removing the deck.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
I have decided to replace the rear deck speakers with upgraded 5.25's. Has anyone removed the rear deck, and can explain the steps? It looks like its going to be a major pain getting a deeper replacement speaker mounted in place without removing the deck.

The speakers are attached to the deck and I don't think you can remove the speakers without removing the deck. Its a pain but here goes - we needed to do this to tint the rear window.

1. Remove the panel behind the rear armrest - it just pulls away but you have to pull hard. You'll see the bolts holding the rear seat back. Remove the bolts and then unlatch the seatback and remove from the car. You'll then see the screws holding the front of the rear deck. Out comes the screws. This has been the easy part.

2. Now you have to get to the screws holding the rear of the deck down. To get to all the screws you have to remove most of the trunk liner. Remove the spare and start removing the trunk liner resting against the rear trunk wall but to get to all the screws youl need to remove the side walls as well - or at east partially. Once the rear trunk liner against the back wall is free, you'll see the remaining scews holding the rear of the deck to the frame.

3. Now the whole rear deck should come out with some wiggle.

It's not hard, just a pain.

Hope this helps.

Now, can anyone tell me if the front and rear side speaker screens simply come off and can I then simply "plug and play" new speakers - i.e., without having to take the door panels and rear side panels out - if so, this seems like a very good way to make the first audio upgrade - i.e., the speakers before I do anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts