Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys,

i just came back from doing some service on my car, i figured i would have it in tip to shape for our get together this Sunday. so i left work and drove to my mechanic...

i had a spare oil filter that i got some time ago. i didn't have time to go buy the oil at the dealer, but i called my shop to see if he had any red line oil (the only fully synthetic i know other than agip and the BMW dealer oil). he called me and told me that he didn't have it in stock, but he suggested "Mobil 1 extended performance". i said OK and kept going.

i also needed to take care of some stuff, steering boots were broken (i had the new one in my trunk for 3 months), the metal under tray was bent ( stupid parking cement things), alignment problem( i think i mentioned the aggressive specs that cost 3 sets of tires per year), and finally my air filter( BMC needed to be cleaned).

the things i noticed where funny:

the Mobil 1 oil is much darker that the agip, it looks like old used agip oil :) + its like $7.25 a liter :confused:

the metal under tray is really easy to fix, a couple of jumps up and down on it and it's like new :D

the air filter is a bitch to take out:mad: Maserati REALLY needs to redesign this, it took for ever to get it out man. oh, and then the cleaning got me completely wet ( i was the one that cleaned it )

over all it was fun and the best thing was the price... $80.00 plus the oil (oh, and i had the oil filter , boots)

bets 500+ at the dealer ha...

-willie

·
Registered
513 Posts
is it just me, am I an idiot???

s/b $5.00 qt at most
I can never understand Bundas postings

Ready to take a learning seminar from him....

Sincerely

Demoe

·
Registered
530 Posts
s/b $5.00 qt at most
s/b=should be
$5.00 = 5 US Dollars
qt = quart, US unit of measurement
at most = implies a maximum threshold at that price....

not sure if he's talking about Red Line or Mobil 1 tho....:D

"these are not the oils you seek, move on"

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So here are a few questions...

How often do you change the engine oil?
What Oil Filter is recommended?
How often is the Antifreeze and Water Flushed/Changed?
Any specific Antifreeze type or brand required?
How often are the spark plugs changed?
How often is the differential oil changed?
Any specific weight, type or brand of differential oil needed?
How often is the transmission oil changed??
Any specific weight, type or brand of differential oil needed?
Where do you buy your parts, fluids, etc?

I bought my Maser and it didn't come with the service manual, owners manual or other manuals... I have paid for the manuals on the maser home page, they say nothing about oils or specs.... Any answer would be greatly appreciated...

Former Mercury Marine, OMC Mechanic here.

·
Registered
660 Posts
1. How often do you change the engine oil?
2. What Oil Filter is recommended?
3. How often is the Antifreeze and Water Flushed/Changed?
4. Any specific Antifreeze type or brand required?
5. How often are the spark plugs changed?
6. How often is the differential oil changed?
7. Any specific weight, type or brand of differential oil needed?
8. How often is the transmission oil changed??
9. Any specific weight, type or brand of differential oil needed?
10. Where do you buy your parts, fluids, etc?
OK, in order :

1. On every yearly service or 10K miles (some suggest every 6K miles) whichever comes first. I use Silkolene Pro S 5w-40, OEM is AGIP Tecsint SL 5w-40. Always FULL SYNTHETIC.
2. BMC, cylindrical, part # 349/12
3. Ditto to 1, but you need to check level every ~1K miles anyway.
4. AGIP LL ALU protect, or (for that matter) any good blue paraflu would do.
5. As 1 above (yearly service or 6/10K miles) for which I use Denso Iridium Power spark plugs.
6. At major service intervals, but have level checked on your yearly service.
7. Check your owners manual.
8. Same as 6 above.
9. Ditto 7 above.
10. I'm in the UK, cannot help you on that.

HTH

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Many Thanks!!!

I sure do appreciate your help, I will post the differential and transmission information here once I find out what the lubricants and capacities are....

·
Registered
660 Posts
OOOPS...

On Q 2 (oil filter) I mentioned BMC but that's the AIR FILTER (NOT the oil filter). Sorry, misread on my part.

As for the OIL filter, I would use a Purolator. I think they make one for the Maser.

Apologies for the above mishap.

As for the tranny/gearbox oil I am almost sure it's on the original printed manual at the back, but can check with my mechanic. Most likely an AGIP one to be used as OEM; dunno what's used in the US.

On the engine oil, if you do a search on the forum you will find several discussions on the topic.

HTH

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks....

I will check out the Purolator site for the oil filter, if you can tell me the tranny and differential oil viscosity and recommended brands I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to do a full service on my 2002 Coupe, should be a lot of fun....

·
Registered
660 Posts
OK, here we go

Power steering -> (SAE 10W) AGIP ATF II D * / MOTUL DEXTRON III / Castrol TQ Dextron III

Gearbox -> (SAE 75W-90) AGIP Rotra LSX * / Silkolene Silktran Syn 5

Cambiocorsa system -> AGIP CHF *

(*) are those recommended by Maserati. MOTUL for the PS and Silkolene for the gearbox should be the ticket; worth checking availability in the US.

HTH

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks!!!!

I am off to the auto parts store to finish stocking up!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just double-check what's on store and take your time to compare different brands off-shelf, or better still, ask whoever is in charge for an opinion.

Again, Maserati recommends AGIP-branded products. I do go outside-the-book for best in quality/performance.

For Silkolene/MOTUL oils, you can get plenty of information fom the web.

Happy buying... :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So while I was there I found....

Mobil 1 0W - 40 European Formula Full Synthetic Oil... What do you think about this oil instead of AGIP or Shell Helix??? It seems to comparable in approvals for sure... Any one use the 0W-40 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic European Formula in your Maser???

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mobil 1 0W - 40 European Formula Full Synthetic Oil... What do you think about this oil instead of AGIP or Shell Helix??? It seems to comparable in approvals for sure... Any one use the 0W-40 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic European Formula in your Maser???
Cannot say, as Mobil 1 is not used hee in the UK, but if you comb the forum you will find several ppl around here use it.

On the issue of engine oils, it must be said that there are occasions usage of non-AGIP brands has sparked trouble; don't ask me why, and what's so special about AGIP. In fact, I do use Silkolene and the car runs smoothly as silk. But, e.g., in the UK Esso Ultron on occasion meant ppl loosing oil pressure @ high revs with engine hot; I think the problems backtracked to oil pump issues derived from the usage of Ultron oil.

End result AFTER oil pump replacement and topped with AGIP : not a single issue.

HTH

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Maserati Oil Filter....

After reading diligently throughout the threads here I have found that everyone buys the Maserati Oil Filter and then does the oil themselves... I am going to purchase two filters myself tomorrow from Stewarts Ferrari of Denver and use one, take the other one and match it up to another filter on the market that is cheaper.... I am quite sure that Maserati/Ferrari and all the others do not produce their own filters nor do they use a specific design to their own cars... I will let you know what I find, I will cut the second filter open with a hack saw and check out the filtration as well as the size, threading, capacity, etc... I am imaging the filter is close to a Ford 612 heavy duty filter but will no better tomorrow.. I prefer K & N oil filters for my vehicles as well as their million mile air filters so I hope to match the oil filter up to one of those... BTW, after draining the oil, putting in 7 quarts of Mobile 1 0W-40 European Full Synthetic, I am happy to say that engine noise from the lifters went to 0 and the engine idles more smoothly, etc.... I checked out the oil properties and this oil should work very well..

:)

·
Registered
835 Posts
what's the part number for the oil filter, anyone? I should have it on the past work orders but they are in one of the million boxes I haven't opened since I moved 5 months ago...

by the way, i use AMSOIL

·
Registered
660 Posts
After reading diligently throughout the threads here I have found that everyone buys the Maserati Oil Filter and then does the oil themselves... I am going to purchase two filters myself tomorrow from Stewarts Ferrari of Denver and use one, take the other one and match it up to another filter on the market that is cheaper.... I am quite sure that Maserati/Ferrari and all the others do not produce their own filters nor do they use a specific design to their own cars... I will let you know what I find, I will cut the second filter open with a hack saw and check out the filtration as well as the size, threading, capacity, etc... I am imaging the filter is close to a Ford 612 heavy duty filter but will no better tomorrow.. I prefer K & N oil filters for my vehicles as well as their million mile air filters so I hope to match the oil filter up to one of those... BTW, after draining the oil, putting in 7 quarts of Mobile 1 0W-40 European Full Synthetic, I am happy to say that engine noise from the lifters went to 0 and the engine idles more smoothly, etc.... I checked out the oil properties and this oil should work very well..

:)
I use Silkolene and TBH the engine feels much smoother and responsive; again, there are quality oils out there besides AGIP, but it is AGIP what factory recommends, and some ppl has had issues with non-AGIP refills. So there is nothing to suggest Mobil 1 would not deliver, but as it is not used here in the UK, cannot comment.

The OEM filter I think is made by UFI, but cannot be 100% sure.

Haha -> OEM oil filter is part # 188814

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Very Interesting Article....

http://www.maserati-rc.org/techtips/Techtip037.htm

What a bunch of helpful people you all are! If you recall, I recently asked if there was a third party oil filter to substitute for the QPorte's OEM Italian-made UFI 23.122.00 (for the larger 4.9 litre engine; evidently, there's also a 4.2 litre engine). My reason for asking was because the UFI's are often hard to find, and EXPENSIVE when you find them ($32 - $40 ea).

After much following-up of your various leads, I've come full-circle to where I started...I think I'll go with the UFI filter for the following reasons:

-I discovered that MIE, of all places, sells the UFI for only $10 each (a bit less, if you buy a 10-pack); so they are available and reasonably priced;

-After spending HOURS via phone & e-mail with various parts houses and filter manufacturers (UFI, Purolater, Fram), I came to the conclusion that parts cross-referencing can be tricky and definitely NOT an exact science (some of you told me so, and you were right).

After none of the other filter mfgrs were able to cross-ref their filters to the UFI, I contacted UFI in Italy (via web site) and was referred to their U.S. rep (via e-mail) who, in turn, sent me to their largest U.S. distributor ("Import Parts Distributor"). A very helpful rep at IPD, who says he's been in the filter business for 18 years, agreed to compare the specs of the UFI filter to see if there was a FRAM equivalent.

Initially, he reported back that "the specs of the FRAM PH2825 most closely matched the UFI...but that the taller FRAM PH3682 had the same specs, and would filter better because it had more volume" (he didn't know if the taller can would fit into the QPorte's engine space). He said that Lucas is out of the filter business, but gave me other mfgr's equivalents to the FRAM filter, and I thought I had a lot of good cross-matches. So far, so good.

Just to double check, I e-mailed Purolater, telling them of my findings and asking for confirmation that their filter was the same as FRAM.

Here's the e-mail chrono with Purolater:

---------------------------------------

[email protected] writes:

Sorry, Purolator does not manufacturer a filter for your car. The L24457 is made for Nissan & Subaru applications. We do not cross reference the OEM or UFI part numbers.

[email protected] replies:

Please clarify something. I contacted UFI, who cross-referenced their specs to FRAM's and determined that the FRAM PH3682 specs match the UFI 23.122.00. In turn, they said that the FRAM cross-references to Purolator's L24457, so the assumption is that Purolater will also work on the QPorte. Is that wrong? When you say that Purolator "does not manufacture a filter for my car" do you mean you simply don't have a cross reference for it, or do you mean that you have actually compared the specs and your filter really is physically wrong?

[email protected] replies:

This is a prime example of why cross referencing part numbers is not recommended. Purolator does not recommend using the L24457 on Maserati, nor will it warranty the filter on a Maserati application. I checked the Fram catalog and could not find the UFI part number listed or an application for Maserati listed. Since UFI gave you this information are they going to accept the liability ?. It is Purolator's policy only to warranty applications in its catalog and not to cross reference our part number to a different manufacturer to be used on a application that is not cataloged in ours or the competitor's catalog. It is our recommendation to use the OEM filter, or since UFI catalogs a part number to use their 23.122.00, but do not use the L24457 on your Maserati.

---------------------------------------

I went back to IDP with Purolater's response and they dismissed it as "typical liability paranoia" and stood by their FRAM recommendation.

So far, kinda so good.

I then went and purchased both FRAM filters (just in case the taller one didn't fit) and found, to my surprise, that the UFI 23.122.00 is TALLER than the longest FRAM by an inch. Since this contradicted what IDP said, I reported back to them and, when checking their records, they discovered that the dimension number for their own filter in their own book was wrong (it says the can is 4" tall, when in fact it's about 5-3/4" tall). They still, however, stood by the FRAM recommendation.

So far, looking less good.

I installed the FRAM PH3682, replaced the old synthetic oil with Castrol GTX 10-50, and then took a 200 mile road trip. I don't know if it was the difference in the filter, or changing the oil types, but the oil temp consistently ran hotter than previously (about 240 F rather than the usual 195 F); the oil pressure seemed to run a touch higher, too...maybe 10% more than usual. Usually, both gauge needles run straight up, but not now (except in short town driving).

Anyway, I'm waiting for my shipment of UFI oil filters. I might change over to Mobil One on the next change, just to see what happens.

Very best to all of you! -Scott (Keesling)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Don't forget this article refers to the OLD QUATTROPORTE (the QP IV) not to the current model in production. Anyway, it highlights the issues when going out-of-the-box: there are potential performance improvements to be gained when not going OEM, but you have to be careful. Period.

Maybe this e-mail sent to me some days ago can clarify things (although applies to Lambos)

Ed,

It is so important to use Agip oil in your Gallardo because the oil has been specifically engineered with the factory, for both the modern V10 and V12 units fitted to Lamborghinis.

As such, it has additives and detergents designed for your engine, in such a way that it will actively look after the seals and internal components of this engine better than anything else on the market. Should you decide to run your engine on anything else, you will run the risk of this oil effectively reacting with the seals, and causing internal damage to the engine. I know of at least 12 cars who's engines have had to be replaced because of this, and not necessarily paid for under warranty.

The reason that XXXX (UK dealer) do not use Agip, is that the whole group is under contract with Exxon Mobil...

Tend to disagree on some edges (e.g., MOTUL or Silkolene are as good as AGIP and I cannot think of a component in those RACING GRADE oils which would damage an engine...) but as said above, also know of sorry tales (not 12, but a handful.) None or Silkolene or MOTUL... guess which oil was used..?

So far I'm fine with the Silkolene on the Maser.

Just my 2c.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts