Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here! I am looking at purchasing an '02 Coupe GT that was actually posted here back in July. It is located at Maserati of Minneapolis. Silver with Red interior. This would be my first Maserati, and first Italian car ever. I have done a lot of research on this forum to learn about reliability, and it sounds promising. (The car is a 6-speed, not a CC). I'm just curious as to what average service costs are. Do I really need to service the car yearly? I've had a BMW for 3 years now and have only had it serviced once for the 15k. Is it really vital to keep up with that? I can afford the car, but my pockets aren't deep enough to spend a couple grand every year to keep it up. What can I expect?

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from you guys. I am going to see the car this weekend. Wish me luck...

·
Registered
286 Posts
how long are you going to keep it? how much do you value resale? would you buy a car with out service records? are you planning on doing the small services yourself?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to the board... Annual Costs are reasonable

Make sure you search the thread for service costs. I started a long one where everyone posted their service costs... I am about to hit my 18,000 service and I will list all the costs there.

I drive my car about 6,000 miles per year. I have an excellent local mechanic that does my oil, fluid and filter changes. I buy Amsoil Synthetic and I buy the filter from the dealer. Total filter and oil, 100 plus another 75.00 for labor. At 6,000 miles I had the dealer do the service and it was a $400 oil change. I bought a new battery for $150.00 and a set of tires at 11,000 miles for 1,000.

Just bought the red performance air filter $100.00, brake pads $200, fluids and oil filter $40 for the 18,000 mile service. Total parts $350 ish with brake pads. The mechanic will probably charge me $300 for labor. Total cost $650 ish The dealer offers just the service NOT including brake pads for $1,800 ish.

Your biggest costs will be an F-1 Pump about $2,500 and a new clutch job $3,500 ish. I strongly suggest taking your car to a dealer for Maserati specific items. There is no escaping replacing your clutch and eventually an F-1 pump or two.

Other than that, drive it and enjoy it. The service costs are a bargain compared with passion and spirit of the car.

Just an aside, am I the only one that is sick and tired of reading how great the new GT is and how much our coupes and GS suck in comparison??? I know its the newest coupe.... But I still think our cars are excellent... Every article keeps ripping our cars......

Good luck.

CM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car I'm looking at is already at the Maserati dealer, so I can't really take it anywhere else for inspection. The next closest dealer is in Chicago, which is 6 hours away. It is also a 6-speed, so I was assuming I wouldn't have to worry about the F1 pump. Isn't that only on the Cambiocorsa?

And $400 for an oil change? Can't I just do that myself, or take it to some local lube place for $50? I used to do that with my 911 and they did a fine job (after they realized that there are 2 drain plugs in a 911).

Also, I am 3 hours away from the Minneapolis dealer, so I am trying to find an easier way to do the little services. But I do plan on taking it there for major work. Service records are available from the previous dealer but I haven't seen them yet (Lake Forest Sports Cars - north of Chicago.)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've just got a 05 GS PPI'd and they told me the car is in excellent condition, but the 12,000 miles is due. What service is that? (the car has 12,800 miles)

Also, the clutch has 40% wear. How many more miles I'd have before replacement?

Thanks!

Del.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Local Lube Place...

Question:
"And $400 for an oil change? Can't I just do that myself, or take it to some local lube place for $50? I used to do that with my 911 and they did a fine job (after they realized that there are 2 drain plugs in a 911)."

Answer:
Yes, if you trust the guys there and you provide the Filter and Oil, then they should be able to do it. There are two drain plugs as well on the Ferrari V8, one on the Sump Res and one on the pan, the filter is easy to get to and it will cost you about $35 at the dealer.. Make sure you get the copper crush washers, one for the plug on the pan, the other for the sump plug drain.. Oil is ultra important, I highly recommend the Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula Full Synthetic or go ahead and get the Shell Helix. Apparently there is a flavor of Quaker State that is approved as well and someone here will provide that information after my post...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great. I knew I'd get a lot of info from you guys. So far you've been a lot of help.

Now, can I get you guys to help talk my wife into getting the car? :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carfax report

Does anybody have a current carfax account? Would anybody be willing to throw this VIN in there for me? My account just expired a couple weeks ago and thought you guys would be friendly enough to help another out. ;)
I've seen an AutoCheck file, but it doesn't seem as detailed as a Carfax one.

ZAMBC38A820007114

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
not a bad car. I have to say though.....I just bought a sebring blue, with nav, cambiocorsa, skyhook suspension, audotorium sound, heated seats, piping, stitched headliner and on 15,000 miles for the same price. I just had the oil changed at the dealer and it was $350.00

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know. Yours is an '03 too. 1 year older and more than twice the miles on mine. What do you think is a fair price? I know this dealer is a sponser here, so it'll be interesting if he sees these posts. I was hoping to get it for around 34, but I don't know if they'll budge that much.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
MalMeg, you have a PM...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Of course I see the posts... ;)

I think it's more honest if I let everyone else speak first when you're coming here for third party advice on your decision to purchase or not. I tell a lot of prospective owners to come here to get a better education on the cars, what to expect for maintenance and reliability, and to get other questions they might have answered.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have above and beyond what's been answered here. The only little thing I've seen that's been off so far is the quote for the F1\clutch services, which would be different with this car being a GT.

I'm not sure if we've spoken before, since I don't do a lot on the sales side, but I'm always available to help if you need anything.

- Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark,

I've been working with Pete at your place and just talked to him minutes ago. I plan on being at your dealership this Saturday to have a closer look. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before making the trek. I am 3 hours away. Car looks great so far. Now I just have to talk my wife into it...

·
Registered
909 Posts
LOL best of luck with the wife. It's a great car, and only the second GT (Third if you count one we sold and took back on trade two years later) we've had in the three years we've had Maserati.

Pete should take good care of you, but if you ever have any other questions, or need anything, I'm around to help as well. (Just not Saturday.. One nice part about not being on the sales side of things..)

- Mark

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If its any help, I bought my 03 Coupe CC from Maserati of Minneapolis too...

Top notch guys, Pete and Mark will take care of you.

Ive had only one problem (well, "two". My key's trunk button doesnt work and the new key wont hold a "code" according to the LA mas dealer...) but they have been really good about working with me to fix them...

Like I said, top notch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think that is a good price, Most of the ones I was looking at were about
$39k - $44K with about 25,000 to 35,000 miles. I thought those were good deals, I think I may have lucked out. Its a nice ride and the blue book is closer to $50 -$55K on that model year. Good luck whatever you decide. I went from a 99 911 coupe to the Maser and I love it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just did my first service at Ferrari of Houston. People keep saying "oil change for $500". I had the oil changed, the brake fuild topped off and the brakes bled, the coolant flushed and replaced, and the hydraulic fluid in the F1 system topped off.
Then I got it back the next day washed and cleaned on the inside. It was worth every penny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts