Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...

Just a few newbie questions about Maserati ownership.
I've been currently looking at 2002-3 coupes, GT/cc, 30Kmiles or so. I currently daily drive a 2001 Porsche 996, about 10000 miles a year, and I would just like to get a good idea about the difference in ownership cost between a Maserati/911 as a DD. Most importantly maint., insurance, and any major $$$ mech. problems with the coupes outside of warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Taking the easy way out....

I regret to say - I decided I couldn't afford to own a Maserati as a daily driver.

And I REALLY REALLY tried to work it out. Basically, it was a time factor for me along with the maintenance costs. That, and I've got a very hungry '61 Maser that demands much feeding and care.

Based on the many threads here about maintenance costs and comparisons between the GT (stick manual) and the CC (paddle shift manual), I came up with the following breakdown:

2002-03 Coupe GT - owning for 3 years, 10K miles per year: $2500/ year in maintenance costs which assumes about $1500/ year for regular service and minor fixes, and $1000 per year applied to one time clutch change (around $3K - maybe less)

2002-03 Coupe Cambiocorsa - - owning for 3 years, 10K miles per year: $3500/ year in maintenance costs which assumes about $1750/ year for regular service and minor fixes, $1000 per year applied to one time clutch change (around $3K - maybe less) and $750 per year applied to a one time F1 pump change (around $2200)

The other factor was time: It takes about a week to get an appointment with a dealer, and then who knows how long it might take to get any replacement parts from Italy for any work that is not routine service. If the dealer sees the car 3 times a year and offers no loaner car, that can be a significant amount of time budgeted toward getting your daily driver serviced. Oh, and there are no warranty coverage.

That's not to say that I couldn't make the effort to own the car or budget for it if my life priorities would allow - heck, I drove a '79 Ferrari 308 as a daily driver for 2 years, so anything is easier than that! It's just that I've got different priorities now...

PLEASE correct me if I've overstated/ overestimated any of the above - my BMW 335i coupe comes off the boat in 2 weeks and there's still time to change my mind!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Your 335 will be in the shop from time to time too... but at least you get a loaner car!

You will see yourself coming down the street often with the BMW, never with the Maser.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
At the risk of "jinxing" myself, I've owned a 2003 Coupe CC for two years. I've driven it about 12,000 miles since I bought it, and it is currently at 15,000 miles. In terms of maintenance costs, believe it or not, I'm under $800 for the entire two years, excluding a new set of rear tires at 12,500, which was about $600 additional.

I expect and am comfortable with $2000-3000 a year in costs to keep my Maserati like new. I thoroughly love the car and plan to keep it even though it is now out of warranty.

Rick

·
Registered
134 Posts
Insurance - 6 month premium is $1400 for the GS + two other cars with AIG

In addition to the repair & service cost, other significant cost is cleaning and detailing the car which might be around $500 - $1000/yr
Also, when i got mine i had to spend $1000 on the 3M clear bra.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Crotty,

It is obvious that you put some thought into the value versus costs equation of ownership.

I can't relate to what is considered the norm for annual mileage for an exotic daily driver as I can rack up 40K miles easy in a year. So my DD's have to be more pedestrian.

You won't have any regrets with the purchase of the bimmer. That twin turbo motor is outstanding. (Tuners have already been chipped out to over 430hp.) And some of the mag reviews placed the 335 coupe's performance equal to the E46 M3.

Props to you that you have the fortitude :) to keep a classic Maserati around to enjoy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2002 coupe GT. out of Warranty 1yr. So far, spent $120 on software download for engine. Dealer very responsive. Offereed 05 QP to drive, but I waited instead. Car has been bulletproof. Independents are often cheaper than dealerships for routine stuff, but SD2 diagnostic testing is usually available only at a dealership for more complex issues. BTW, I have 11k miles. I'm not an aggresive driver, so the 6 speed is fine for me. I believe the CC lasts longer if you "drive it like you stole it"! I often think of selling it, but it's the most comfortable and reliable exotic I've owned

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a 02 Coupe GT, and my routine maint. costs are quite reasonable. The engine oil/oil filter changes I have done every 6 months by choice (about 1,500 miles) . I recently had all fluids replaced at the 15,000 mile mark. I'm not performing services based on mileage, but I am following the sequence exactly as recommended.

I am not counting self imposed maint. cost in my calculation, however, applying the actual service cost parts/labor over 5 years and 15,000 miles.
Fluid changes: total ~1,800.00 (2 fluid changes performed)
Routine oil changes: total ~1,000.00 - 2 changes per year
cabin filter replacement: total ~150.00 - part only -
Insurance is ~700.00/year with Parish-Heacock Classic Car Insurance

Overall cost in my opinion is reasonable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts