Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted another topic...wanted a manual 2003,2004 Coupe but several dealers have told me that is a difficult shift and regardless of experience with a manual (since I was 16, now 50)it was always and will be "clunky" because of the linkage being in the rear....not to mention that they are hard to find....Dogdoc

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is an "art" to shifting from 1st to 2nd gear on my 02 Coupe GT 6-speed when the trans is cold. (My Ferrari Dino had the same feel shifting from 1 - 2when cold.) Not an issue in my opinion. Once the trans oil warms the shifting is quite smooth. (both Maserati and Ferrari)

As far as the GT vs the CC; the GT (6 speed) is the harder one to find. I spent well over a half year locating mine. But well worth the search.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the same cold shift issues, and the car is fine after a few blocks.

Porsche puts the motor in the back, and the car shifts fine, so I doubt the issue is intrinsic to the transmission location.

I gave up when looking for a good used 6 M/T, and just bought a new one :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also have a 2003 Coupe GT. I am 50 years old as well, and have only owned sticks. I have owned a Ferrari 308, an 1983 Trans Am , several Alfa's and a 1965 E-type Jag ect. All of them sticks, when I was looking for a coupe there was never any thought of a CC for me. I test drove a GT and came to the conclusion it was what I wanted. Now it is not the best manual I have ever owned, but it does drve better and smother the more it warms up. Plus it also gets better the more aggressive you drive.
Ron:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 2003 manual coupe and while it is not the most precise manual i have ever driven it is alot of fun and works well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Right On Bro'

I also have a 2003 Coupe GT. I am 50 years old as well, and have only owned sticks. I have owned a Ferrari 308, an 1983 Trans Am , several Alfa's and a 1965 E-type Jag ect. All of them sticks, when I was looking for a coupe there was never any thought of a CC for me. I test drove a GT and came to the conclusion it was what I wanted. Now it is not the best manual I have ever owned, but it does drve better and smother the more it warms up. Plus it also gets better the more aggressive you drive.
Ron:)
Coming out of a BoxsterS into a Spyder GT I was, at first, disappointed with the way the shifter worked. However, I have learned that like any other fine Italian lady she needs a firm hand. Once I had my epiphany I wouldn't go back for anything. Remember that the clutch is affected by the Sport Mode button - the shifting is much muddier when not in "Sport." :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thnx all, are there manual highly optioned cars?

I know its got the word clutch in there;what does "cc" stand for? I have been told today by two dealers that I will not find a manual with ALL the options and in vintage.., in fact one told me that in 2006 they did not do any special orders but most came with manual and were stripped down; any truth?wonder if a car with Xenon,Skyhook, heated seats and vintage is out there in a manual; willing to wait but how long? That is what I would like.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Search for Strippers

There were about 50 of the stripped down, 6sp M/T coupes that came into the USA, most are black, a few are silver.
If you are looking for one of these, you have to hope that one of the other 49 owners will sell. I'm keeping mine.
(the only option that would be nice is the heated seats)

The M/T cars were available with all the options, and I have seen a few that were decked out quite nicely.
Miller Motor Cars had a blue 6sp/mt, briar wood package, cucio interior, etc that was the most gorgeous car that I have ever seen.

The feedback that I got was that only about 10% of the cars came with the M/T, so the hunt for a good one is tough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"CC" stands for "Cambiocorsa," manual transmission with a actuator operating the clutch - or, as Jeremy Clarkson refers to it, "the flappy paddle gearbox." Ferrari calls this type of transmission on their cars "F1".

At the end of the day, with GranSport being my daily driver, I would not trade the flappy paddles for manual for anything - both in terms of convenience, performance and particularly the silly grin factor (and the looks you get for sequentially downshifting from 6th pulling up to a traffic light). My hubby's Maranello has manual and I think he is now officially willing to shell out extra to get F1 on his next car. But I do understand that choice of gearboxes is like religion, so I respect those who prefer manual for city driving (I just roll my eyes quietly behind their back as you would at the Hare Krishna people at the airport LOL You know I'm kidding, right? :D)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a coupe gt (manual) and can confirm what others have said above. I'd add that the eccentricities of the coupe's manual gearbox make it that much more satisfying when you nail it & get everything just right.

·
Registered
744 Posts
6MT shifting

I have an 04 GT Spyder and I agree with most here that the shifting is a bit rough compared to most modern sports cars. The throw is very long and engagement from first to second and second to third is notchy. The spacing between gears is also pretty wide. No real comparison to either my wife's 03 G35 or my 07 Infiniti G35S.

All that said, the transmission is still fun and I think it suits the "old school" character of the car. Two dealers have also told me that the cables linking the shifter to teh transaxle can be adjusted and this improves things considerably.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
car on ebay , M/T in Green I looked at! thnx for lead

I had this car inspected last week; some rust on wheels and screws; it was a northern car, the concern was a fluid/residue around what the mechanic thought was the power steering area but was not sure....also, he felt there was a fair amount of noise coming on start up(cold)from the valve train area; I spoke to Maserati here in Atlanta and they told me that was not unusual; some did it more than others; my friend whom is a dealer was concerned for me that like in some cars that may mean oil was not changed properly or the chains were worn???? any way I walked on that one....there is a 2003 on ebay in black with 7900 miles and loaded but the AUTO CHECK says it was registered in the FEMA /KATRINA area at that time; now this may not mean anything and I was told to look at the title which is clean(no flood) and am about to have the car inspected; but this DOES put a cloud over the title I think when I go to sell but it does NOT seem fair that FEMA can do this; for all I know while the car is registered in Houston it might have been in LA on a vacation with the owner; they (fema) I am told simply take all DMV records at that time and enter this info on Carfax, anyone know this procedure?

·
Registered
28 Posts
6 M/t

:) I drove both a 6 M/T and a cc before going with the 6 speed The cc is great at the track(went to Italy and did the Maserati driving course) but feels out of place in general driving.Shifting to 2nd in the cold is tricky and a 5 to 4 downhift cannot be hurried but once things have warmed up...

The 2006 coupe,blue with wood trim that was seen at Miller's,CT,well that's the car i bought!:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 06 6 speed is AWESOME. I drove both and it was a no brainer. I will never be an F1 driver and dont want to be a pretend F1 driver. The 6 speed performs MUCH better under a more aggressive driving style and the harder I push my car, the better the gear box responds. In 2000 miles you will be an expert and LOVE it. :cool:

Sloppy when cold but after 5 minutes, it is fine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It just won't be rushed is all. You MUST take your time on a 2-3 upshift or you will beat the synchros. Plus the cold issues.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven't checked but sounds like the MT is also a transaxle layout.

Cold shifting problem is common on the car with front engine - rear transaxle. The gearbox doesn't get to warm up with engine heat so it's stiff when cold. I used to live in midwest and you can basically forget about 1st gear in winter. I fixed it with flush and replaced gear lube with redline stuff.

But heck, nowadays cars start in 2nd gear with "snow" mode anyways, i guess it's a feature to "lock out" first gear implementetd the old fashion way.

Jess

1 - 20 of 31 Posts