Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced or had to fix any of the following - and any idea of cost?

- Valve tappet noise when cold.

- Manual Clutch engages toward the last half of the pedal's travel. Is this just an adjustment issue, or time for a new clutch? I didn't romp on the car when I drove it, so I couldn't tell if it was slipping.

- Delaminating leather on center of steering wheel.

- Passenger side seat motor moves it forward an inch and then back immediately when accessing the back seat (flipping the seat forward).

I'm hoping to finally purchase a daily driver Maserati, so I'm trying to limit my "buy it and fix it" costs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The manual clutch engages at the top of the travel on my BRAND NEW GT. so this sounds normal. I would like to hear more on this from other GT owners, as there are not too many of us.

The seats tend to do that, I heard disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes is the cure. (Or you can consider it one of the charming points of Italian car ownership)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 06 w/ 3k miles on it now and the clutch does not engage at or above the half way point. Of course, the big issue is not necessarily engagement point but slippage and I have driven a couple of used GT's that experienced this, so it was pretty easy to tell that they needed new clutches!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Has anyone experienced or had to fix any of the following - and any idea of cost?

- Manual Clutch engages toward the last half of the pedal's travel. Is this just an adjustment issue, or time for a new clutch? I didn't romp on the car when I drove it, so I couldn't tell if it was slipping.

- Delaminating leather on center of steering wheel.

- Passenger side seat motor moves it forward an inch and then back immediately when accessing the back seat (flipping the seat forward).

I'm hoping to finally purchase a daily driver Maserati, so I'm trying to limit my "buy it and fix it" costs.

Thanks!
Dry sumps smoke at startup and and make LOUD tappet noises (espicially cold). NORMAL! Enjoy your car!

Buzz

·
Registered
160 Posts
None on mine, but I've been told it's normal. Never thought it comes from the dry sumps, thanks Buzz.

- Manual Clutch engages toward the last half of the pedal's travel
The biting point on mine is about mid-way, not sure. It's adjustable anyway. Another cable need attention is the hand brake cable. Mine was too loss.

- Passenger side seat motor moves it forward an inch and then back immediately when accessing the back seat
I had the same problem, the dealer tracked it down to the seat track resistance was too high. Basically, the seat control unit gets a current surge from the motor (like hitting an obstacle), so it decides to stop (for safety reason) and move the seat back an inch. Dealer performed seat track adjustment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How old is the car? The steering wheel should be replaced under warranty. I've had to have the chrome trim around the A/C vents replaced and the shifter boot (popper at the top gave up the ghost).

My clutch is fairly soft and releases over a long peddle movement - which is radically different from my CooperS where its like an on/off switch. But it still has plenty of life after 24K miles.

There is a process for resetting the seat memory in the owners manual (or search this forum). I reset mine last week. It had been behaving like a thing possessed... Italian electronics do not the occasional exorcism.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU - everybody for your answers. Very reassuring...

I'm sourcing the service records from the dealer - so hopefully I'll know how well the car was maintained. Unfortunately, the car is out of warranty...A SCARY thought...

I could take the safe way out and do a BMW lease...but I really want to try a Maserati. I'll keep you all posted...

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts