Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Newbie Maserati guy here. I just picked up a 2003 Maserati Coupe GT from a member here on the site. I love the car (except for the lame stock exhaust note!), but I have a question. When the car is cold, it has a tough time going into second gear. I don't want to be forceful, but if I try to shift it too quickly or not forcefully enough, it grinds a little and pops out. Shifting into others gears is perfectly fine and after 10 minutes or so second gear is fine too. It reminds me of some of the old ferrari 308's and 328's I've had where they just needed some finesse in second. Is this normal for these cars? Would it help to change the trans oil to a synthetic? The car only has 17k on the clock. Ideas? Thanks! Jon

·
Registered
793 Posts
This is a very characteristic problem with Ferrari as well.

You would do well to have your transmission drained and refilled with Redline synthetic oil. It is incredible, and I speak from experience.

You will notice a tremendous difference in shifting.

Also, let the tranny warm up for 2-4 miles before aggressively shifting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello All,
Newbie Maserati guy here. I just picked up a 2003 Maserati Coupe GT from a member here on the site. I love the car (except for the lame stock exhaust note!), but I have a question. When the car is cold, it has a tough time going into second gear. I don't want to be forceful, but if I try to shift it too quickly or not forcefully enough, it grinds a little and pops out. Shifting into others gears is perfectly fine and after 10 minutes or so second gear is fine too. It reminds me of some of the old ferrari 308's and 328's I've had where they just needed some finesse in second. Is this normal for these cars? Would it help to change the trans oil to a synthetic? The car only has 17k on the clock. Ideas? Thanks! Jon
Similar experience in my 2005 Coupe GT (23,000 miles). I just shift gently until warm. From other threads here, I think it's pretty common...funny enough I had similar situation with my "M" car -- Mazda Miata...:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Looking at your location, I see that it gets down to 33 deg F at night.
The fluid is getting thick, and this is crunch is normal. A change to redline should help.

I would think that the CC trans gets the same crunch, it is just that the actuators don't care about it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is a very characteristic problem with Ferrari as well.

You would do well to have your transmission drained and refilled with Redline synthetic oil. It is incredible, and I speak from experience.

You will notice a tremendous difference in shifting.

Also, let the tranny warm up for 2-4 miles before aggressively shifting.
Same shifting feel with my '74 ferrari and my '02 Maserati GT.
I let the car warm a few minutes before driving, and shift 1-3 until at
operating temperature. Then Whooo Hooo ... :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I will try the redline synth....
Jon

·
Registered
744 Posts
It is normal

I have it somewhat on my 04 Spyder (mostly when very cold) but it was greatly improved with an adjustment to the linkage by my mechanic and a change to Amsol synthetic gear oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts