Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at a black '02 Coupe GT and while there are a few things wrong with it (I can go into details if interested) I did notice something odd... there are cracks in the paint on the top of the nose or front bumper. They look like pressure cracks like those you might see on a bumper when someone nudged you to get into a parallel parking stall. These cracks are a mirror image on both sides of the front. Does anyone else have this? Any thoughts on what caused this?

I have a few theories... sun damage from the Cali sun or mechanic leaning on the bumper and crushing the foam beneath.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I am currently looking at a black '02 Coupe GT and while there are a few things wrong with it (I can go into details if interested) I did notice something odd... there are cracks in the paint on the top of the nose or front bumper. They look like pressure cracks like those you might see on a bumper when someone nudged you to get into a parallel parking stall. These cracks are a mirror image on both sides of the front. Does anyone else have this? Any thoughts on what caused this?

I have a few theories... sun damage from the Cali sun or mechanic leaning on the bumper and crushing the foam beneath.
Nope. They "tapped" someone from behind. The nose of the car is plastic so the slightest bump will distort the plastic causing the paint to crack horizontally. Check the grill for any sign of damage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes more sense. I'll have a look what I can see.

There is another weird issue... the interior door lock handles are sticky and seem like the plastic or rubber is melting! Is this heat related or bad choice of a cleaning product?

·
Registered
104 Posts
melting black bits inside the car is one of the pleasures of owning an Italian exotic car! If you search this forum, you will find more.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
FWIW - it even happens on many Ferraris. I don't exactly know why but, I never use anything like Armor All on my dash, plastic, or carbon parts. Could be combination of solvents in cleaners, oils from fingers, and heat. www.stickynomore.com is one solution for replacement buttons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do realize that you are all a great resource!! Thanks so much for the outstanding advice!! Now... how will i get those sticky parts out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts