Maserati Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Fred, I was just broowing a quote in another thread for a bit of ironic humor ;)
LOL! Ed you crack me up! I think we have very similar personalities! I crack myself up all the time :)

I think fred is technically right. I believe Ferrari designed the high reliabilty 4.2 V8 for its "entry level" car (which was the Maser before the F430. And now it's in the new GT and the Alfa). One successful little motor if you ask me!

·
Registered
390 Posts
You'll get vastly better sound quality if you use the dock plug on your ipod for an output rather than the headphone jack. However, compressed mp3s are just that--compressed--and there will always be a reduction in sound quality, even at higher compression rates. I rip all my CDs at 320 or at 240 AAC VBR.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You'll get vastly better sound quality if you use the dock plug on your ipod for an output rather than the headphone jack. However, compressed mp3s are just that--compressed--and there will always be a reduction in sound quality, even at higher compression rates. I rip all my CDs at 320 or at 240 AAC VBR.
Squid.... What ipod dock? Dension was the only one but they no longer supply their adapters for Maserati.

·
Registered
660 Posts
LOL! Ed you crack me up! I think we have very similar personalities! I crack myself up all the time :)

I think fred is technically right. I believe Ferrari designed the high reliabilty 4.2 V8 for its "entry level" car (which was the Maser before the F430. And now it's in the new GT and the Alfa). One successful little motor if you ask me!
Yep, that's the word on the street. Just checked my copy of Lewandowski book "Maserati Coupe - The History" which is a wonderful collection of photos and histories, old and new. On chapter 7, pp.119, it reads

"In order to ensure that there would be no complaints about performance [my note: where there any on the 3200 performance? not really, but the 3200 boosts the last of the DeTomaso-era biturbo engine designs... in fact, it meant the complete departure from that era] the Maserati technicians, with a little help from their friends [SIC] at Ferrari, created an aluminium V8 which, despite a displacement of 4.244 cc, weighted just 184 kg - that's approximately 20 kg less than the 3200 GTs."

Interesting that it later says this new engine means the Coupe "... easily outperforms its predecessor." But it seems to forget the biturbo in the 3200 delivers 40 Nm more torque than the Coupe dry-sump engine. And you can feel the difference if you floor the 3200...

As to the engine design, I think it was the other way around... as I said above, the 3200 is the last example in a long-standing Maserati engine design school. The 4200 brings-in a new approach. Where from? Ferrari.

Incidentally, it later quotes Luca di Montezemolo saying "[Maserati] will have to develop and transform itself even further because power and beauty are no longer enough to satisfy an increasingly demanding public."

Wonder what the current Maserati top-brass might have interpreted from that statement... assuming their thoughts have been materialized in the new GT... :mad:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
so i just wanted to let you know that i got home from my 8 hour drive home from boston with my 02 maserati coupe gt 6 speed.
I have had many cars, 911's, boxsters, bimmers, 300zx twin turbo, legend coupe, etc......
I have NEVER had as much fun driving any of those poser vehicles as i did driving this car.
wow- that is all i have to say
the engine is a masterpiece
the tubi exhaust brings a smile to your face anytime you press on the gas
it was hard to keep the car under 90.
the guages are gorgeous at night.
not that i care- but i got tons of looks.
my firend who came with me- an avid racer (autocross and track) did not have enough to say about the maser. he could not believce what a superb vehicle it was.
i wish i had done this long ago
i will take pics tomorrow
what a day
i will sleep with a smile on my face
until they start the stereo work.
:)
by the way- no apologies needed. no offense was taken. i am the kind of person who, once they get something in their mind, will proceed regardless of consequence. it is a stupid way to learn but it is how i am.
i will keep all posted on the work
the stereo (not that i had it on that much) is awful
does not compare to my levinson/revel home system at all...
what a car
smile......

·
Registered
528 Posts
the engine is a masterpiece
the tubi exhaust brings a smile to your face anytime you press on the gas

i will sleep with a smile on my face
until they start the stereo work.
I think you have found the sound system, you just have not realized it yet.:D

While I am sure that I am in the minority here, I can't see the value in investing in killer sound, when the listening enviorment is filled with engine noise, tire noise, etc.
As long as there is some sound coming out of the speakers until the next time I get to stomp on the loud pedal, I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think you have found the sound system, you just have not realized it yet.:D

While I am sure that I am in the minority here, I can't see the value in investing in killer sound, when the listening enviorment is filled with engine noise, tire noise, etc.
As long as there is some sound coming out of the speakers until the next time I get to stomp on the loud pedal, I am a happy camper.
Fred. Despite all of my work in this area, I have to agree with you. With the music on, I find myself forgetting my shift points because I can't hear them. Driving 40 in traffic then looking down and ralizing your in 2nd is a bad thing. And that glorious "grunt" sound you hear in the peak of the torque curve is better music than Metallica playing with the San Francisco Symphony.

So maybe I should work on a system that amplifies the exhaust and pipes it into a 1000 watts of cabin "music" :D Thanks for the reality check!

·
Registered
16 Posts
2004 spyder with NAV

the NAV system that came with the 04 cars are completely useless. In all honesty I wish the car didn't have the NAV as it is tied into the stereo system which is also pretty lame. I even have the updgrades 200w Auditorium system. I couldnt bear to remove the stock stereo and lose the almost worthless NAV after spending 2k on it when I did a stereo upgrade. I changed the speakers, AMP and subwoofer as well as adding XM radio. Now the car sounds great, has louder and clearer volume, BUT the NAV is still worthless.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
the NAV system that came with the 04 cars are completely useless. In all honesty I wish the car didn't have the NAV as it is tied into the stereo system which is also pretty lame. I even have the updgrades 200w Auditorium system. I couldnt bear to remove the stock stereo and lose the almost worthless NAV after spending 2k on it when I did a stereo upgrade. I changed the speakers, AMP and subwoofer as well as adding XM radio. Now the car sounds great, has louder and clearer volume, BUT the NAV is still worthless.
Thanks for the input. Please tell us more about your specific upgrades. For instance, how is the XM integrated into the car?

Buzz

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Here's the Garmin Nuvi unit you'll all want...

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi670/

Great nav system with excellent coverage and POI database (it even had a lot of the farm roads we traveled in Tuscany), adds a Bluetooth-connected hands free phone system, very portable (mine goes everywhere with me), you can use it as an MP3 player on the plane, and I added the optional language pack to help with my Italian and German translations while I'm learning.

I have the 360 version + Euro maps on SD card, but the 670 is the schizzle if you can deal with the price.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hiya Dip...

Have you got the mods sorted? Any feedback? Eager to know...

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Hi ed.
just got back from the installer and talking to the team working on the car.
so the stock speakers are all being changed to focals
amps to planet audio
bluetooth being placed.
k40 being installed.
and now the interesting issue.
so they can activate the factory nav unit and install the antenna for cheap- few hundred bucks- but given how bad that unit is i have asked the to look further
they need a little time but are confident thet may be able to run a garmin into the aux input on the the head unit.
i do not know the specifics BUT they said the needed to do more research so we will see
they are also going ot put in dynamat everywhere.
i will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
660 Posts
so they can activate the factory nav unit and install the antenna for cheap- few hundred bucks- but given how bad that unit is i have asked the to look further
they need a little time but are confident thet may be able to run a garmin into the aux input on the the head unit.
You have PM.

Which Focals you have installed? 165 CV1 polyglass..?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
polykevlar 6.5 components up front
utopia 5ws sub in the rear deck lid
polyglass 165v2 in the rear panels.

·
Registered
660 Posts
polykevlar 6.5 components up front
utopia 5ws sub in the rear deck lid
polyglass 165v2 in the rear panels.
Sweet... :D

Can the stock amp handle that?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
nope
had to upgrade the amps to planet audio 6 channel
having a rack custom built for a vertical mount (stealth) in the trunk
should be amazing when done.

·
Registered
660 Posts
nope
had to upgrade the amps to planet audio 6 channel
having a rack custom built for a vertical mount (stealth) in the trunk
should be amazing when done.
My mouth is watering... :D

Post some pics of the install, it looks the deal. Hope the other electronics in the Maser can handle it.

As for the activation of the stock NAV, how do they do it? If they have the software firmare to do it (or whatever) I am happy to buy it from them.

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
i will let you know
the talk has been good so far but we will see how it looks when all done
i also got all the glass tinted (20%) slight metallic film
had subtle leds placed in the wheel wells for a little more light (can be turned off if need be- sounds cheesy but is not)
bluetooth being custom installed in under the maserati ashtray drawer
k40's with leds installed flush mounted adjacent to the ashtray
headlight film.
dynamat and hushmat everywhere that it makes sense to put it.

front grill is being chromed.
should be pretty nice when all done.
BIG project
almost as big as the new bentley they were taking apart right next to my car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
in terms of the nav- they were a bit tight lipped
i will let you know ed
Great, thanks.

Check the thread on the latest LeoNardo mods; posted links to the catalogs I've received today by email. I'm not a car parts trader, mind you, but since I had once a couple of contacts with them, they regularly send me their catalogs and price lists.

They are anything but cheap, but since you are fully-loading your baby...

Ed

61 - 80 of 83 Posts