Maserati Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
so i just had a long talk with the installer.
he is knowledgable and claims there is a way to feed the nav/gps signal into the existing screen and that through this "feed" i would be able to get xm, and other services as well on the existing info center.......

Dipak,

I'm a betting man by nature. I want to officially wager $100.00 it can't be done on a coupe/spyder. If I'm wrong, I want the details of how it's done on a Magneti Marelli NIT (worth every penny). You might want to put your installer on the hook for the bet since he's so sure.... Let us know how it turns out..... Remind him you don't have a Quattroporte...

As a side, there are a LOT of coupe/spyder owners on here that haven't figured it out since 2002. Do you know the only guy in the US that can do it? If so, he's a rich man!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dipak,

I'm a betting man by nature. I want to officially wager $100.00 it can't be done on a coupe/spyder. If I'm wrong, I want the details of how it's done on a Magneti Marelli NIT (worth every penny). You might want to put your installer on the hook for the bet since he's so sure.... Let us know how it turns out..... Remind him you don't have a Quattroporte...

As a side, there are a LOT of coupe/spyder owners on here that haven't figured it out since 2002. Do you know the only guy in the US that can do it? If so, he's a rich man!
Dip, as I always put my money where my mouth is, I second Buzz bet and also wager $100 that it cannot be done ON A COUPE with Magneti Marelli NIT. If this guy can, then he'll have to open-up how he's done it or (for me in the UK) send whatever gadget/interface he's used + installation instructions FOR FREE.

Pass it on to him. As Buzz says, if he's so damn sure, sure he will pick the bet straight-on.

But have the feeling this would be the easiest 100 bucks I've won in my life... :D

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
ok
so i directed him to the forum website and he has read all of your comments.
at this point, he will not dignify your challenge of a bet- he syas that his work will speak for itself. plus, he willnot divulge how he is going to do it, to anyone......
he is a crazy artist.
i will let everyone know how it goes.
on another note- any idea where i can get the chrome tridel emblems that fit the rear sail panels?

·
Registered
660 Posts
ok
at this point, he will not dignify your challenge of a bet- he syas that his work will speak for itself. plus, he willnot divulge how he is going to do it, to anyone......
he is a crazy artist.
on another note- any idea where i can get the chrome tridel emblems that fit the rear sail panels?
You are either a man of great faith or... :rolleyes: It's your money and your choice, so there ya go.

So, let's see how it goes. I'm eager in extreme to hear the news.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
ok
he is a crazy artist.

Of course he wont! Do you really think you have the only guy in the world who can do it? If I knew I could, I'd bet in a hot second! Easy money! So, I've relaxed the challenge.... If you can truthfully say you've ben upgraded to a system other than the MM with dash control and display, I'll give you $200.00 on the spot. If he can't do it, you have to disclose his company name along with a statement that he couldn't do it. Ask him to read this challenge. He's probably shittin* his pants realizing it's a Magnetti unit, not a Dennison, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Alpine...... So, the challenge now goes to you. $200???? Probably a small percentage of what the crazy artist will charge you for screwing your car up.

·
Registered
660 Posts
$200???? Probably a small percentage of what the crazy artist will charge you for screwing your car up.
... or what it would cost you sorting it out again, which means buying a new NIT, etc, etc... in any case, tell this dude 2 things

1. To be careful when pulling-out the tunnel fascia. Very easy to dent/scratch it, even using the proper plugs.

2. Ditto for the leather.

If you want to see how it looks with the console out

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/edsalazar/Maser/Consoleout.jpg

You asked for the C-pillar badges: you can buy them from your friendly Maserati dealer near you, or source them from ebay. Mind you, the ebay are replicas, and possibly more expensive than the original ones you get through the dealership.

Here in the UK we have the folks from Eurospares, www.eurospares.co.uk, for those (and other) sourcing needs. Keith or Claudio the guys to speak to.

HTH

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
well- first i am off to take delivery of my maser today.
so it will be a good today
monday it goes to the installers-
thankk you for the diagrams- I think they will be very helpful.
I will keep you all posted- he swears he as done it before and if he screws it up- he fixes it- no cost to me

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will keep you all posted- he swears he as done it before and if he screws it up- he fixes it- no cost to me
CONGRATS on getting your car today. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Get that digital camera ready and take LOTS of pictures. We always love to see someones new baby. How exciting. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
... or what it would cost you sorting it out again, which means buying a new NIT, etc, etc... in any case, tell this dude 2 things

1. To be careful when pulling-out the tunnel fascia. Very easy to dent/scratch it, even using the proper plugs.

2. Ditto for the leather.

If you want to see how it looks with the console out

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/edsalazar/Maser/Consoleout.jpg

You asked for the C-pillar badges: you can buy them from your friendly Maserati dealer near you, or source them from ebay. Mind you, the ebay are replicas, and possibly more expensive than the original ones you get through the dealership.

Here in the UK we have the folks from Eurospares, www.eurospares.co.uk, for those (and other) sourcing needs. Keith or Claudio the guys to speak to.

HTH
Ed, was this your car? Do you recall if that 10 pin connector was the only connector to the display/controls? I just happen to have that cable (got it with the CD changer I bought) :)

·
Registered
82 Posts

HTH
Troesma,

Have you actually had a reply from Eurospares? I've inquired about a couple of things recently through their web-site and received no reply. Perhaps they don't bother with people living on the left side of the Atlantic.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Dips,
I assume you aren't checking the board today because you are out on the road enjoying your new Maser!
But a few more thoughts regarding your upcoming electronics work. . . We've all been pretty negative based on our experiences but I think I speak for most on the board saying that we hope it works out well for you.

I have a system similar to what you are trying to do. I too am an Audiophile (Krell and Eggleston in the house) and also very sensitive to the elegance of the installation. But this approach has backfired on me a bit too often when on the edge of new technologies and Italian cars.

I bought the K40 radar detector system because of its stealth, elegant installation - it was indeed stealth and the installation was wonderful; just a couple lights on the dash. But the system isn't good enough and now I have to run another detector in parallel (Valentine One), which turns out to be far superior. (mounted it up by the rear view mirror and wired to a switched circuit).

I spent a couple grand having a system put in my Quattroporte that integrated Satellite radio and IPOD into my factor Nav screen. Does it work - well kind of. I suspect the product (your installer's secret) that is proposed to interface to your Nav unit is from the same manufacturer as my installer used; but I could never actually get the name of the supplier. Be sure to check the price of this little box; it costs about a thousand dollars.

Indeed, my iPOD and satellite radio play though my factory system in a complete digital path and I can select the TV button and get a decent screen showing either iPOD or Sat Radio.

However . . .

The sound is not as good as it could be. I made a CD of test songs recorded in the same MP3-320 format that I use with my iPOD and then made a similar playlist on the iPOD. AB comparisons show the CD based sound is clearly superior. No need for me to install new speakers and amp until I get a more faithful source output.

THe bigger problem . . and you need to watch out for this:
Accessing music on the iPOD from the NAV screen. When searching the system can only select one song or one playlist at a time; one click per selection. You can hold the button down and it goes through them; but only one song at a time and way too slowly. I have 6500 songs on my iPOD so a song starting with M could take about 3750 clicks. Playlists show just fine on the screen, but again you have to click once for each change. 100 playlists means as many as 50 clicks to get to certain playlists. The super-confident installer has not been able to find a fix to this (I'm sure he would have jjumped at the bets being offered on this board) .

This, and other music access/logistical issues finally drove me to have the IPOD relocated (had it nicely tucked away in the place the CD changer would go on the QP, under the steering wheel, under the thinking that I would seldom access it). I've had it moved with a long cable so I can still access music directly from the iPOD where the tools for searching and selecting are infinitely more effective.

So much for elegance. Three cheers for effectiveness. The old form vs function decision.

My installer too bragged and displayed extreme confidence. But he was over his head. It took about three visits, leaving the car all day each time, to get the sound to the only decent level it is now. And they were focusing on the electronic connection and completely missed the logistical issue of accessing a large database. Turns out that the electronics that got the stuff integrated was designed to work with a specific touch screen which had capable screens for music selection. Also my factory nav system has not worked since. The installer says its a product failure, the dealer insists it was the aftermarket work. Don't care though because the factory nav system is so bad.

Finally this,

I do think the Garmin Nuvi is awesome; immeasurably better than the factory system (which can make you hate your car if you need to rely on the nav). I was going to have a professional installation and wiring done for the NUVI. However, as I started using the Nuvi I found it was more like a personal accessory. I took in to hotel rooms to plan routes, move it from car to car, took it with me on trips with rental cars. And in my QP I find that often I just want the voice directions (freeways, road trips) and only need the screen in busy areas. So I just plug mine into the lighter outlet in the console and pull it out when needed visually (sits nicely on the steering column supported by the guage bezel and pretty secure on the rubber piece on the QP steering column; like it was made to go there). Other times I just leave it in the console and use only the voice instructions. Or I grab it to hold in my hand when entering or planning. Not sure a professional mount and wiring is the thing.

So be careful. Success is more than the electron path. Sorry for the long post, hope this is helpful. Let us know how it goes.

Ken

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ed, was this your car? Do you recall if that 10 pin connector was the only connector to the display/controls? I just happen to have that cable (got it with the CD changer I bought) :)
Yep, it is my car, and as far as I can recall the connector is indeed the 10-pin white plastic you see there. The console went out for a complete recoating, as it was dented... during some work done by the dealer :mad:

In the end, it looked better than new :D

Dip, as KB pointed out in his long and very informative post, we all hope it goes well. The negatives posted here (me one of them) were just to prevent you doing something which could turn out to be a costly mistake. These cars are not your everyday piece of cake. I've seen so many confident aftermarket installers promising the world... but once you burn yourself with milk, you see a cow and start crying.

Hope you enjoy every minute your Maser, and do tell us how it did go, if you decide to take the plunge with this electronics thing.

Ed

·
Registered
660 Posts
Troesma,

Have you actually had a reply from Eurospares? I've inquired about a couple of things recently through their web-site and received no reply. Perhaps they don't bother with people living on the left side of the Atlantic.
I've purchased many things from them. No probs whatsoever, save one of 2 of the usual 'not in stock' even in factory. PM me with what you need, and see if I can give you a hand.

Ed

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dipak,

I also wish you the best. Nothing personal, just a warning that your new baby, that I KNOW you'll love, may be mollested by a goofus that doesn't understand the complexities of the system (anyway, it's not his car).

Further to Ken's observations.....
Remember he has a Quattroporte with a much more standard system. The coupe/spyder has that weird Magnetti that NOBODY has heard of :)

Someday I will crack the code and invent something that'll be killer. In the meantime, enjoy the sound of that wonderful Ferrari engine! Who needs music!

Buzz

·
Registered
660 Posts
In the meantime, enjoy the sound of that wonderful Ferrari engine! Who needs music!

Buzz
Ferrari..? In case you haven't noticed, it's a Maserati not a Ferrari. :D

(Borrowed quote)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Many have said that that Maserati engine was derived from the Ferrari F430, but....

Since the Maserati 4200 coupe existed BEFORE the F430, should'nt we say the the Ferrari was derived from the Maserati?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Many have said that that Maserati engine was derived from the Ferrari F430, but....

Since the Maserati 4200 coupe existed BEFORE the F430, should'nt we say the the Ferrari was derived from the Maserati?
Fred, I was just broowing a quote in another thread for a bit of ironic humor ;)

41 - 60 of 83 Posts