Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dip... from what you're saying, I'll be a little bit nervous about your installer. The QP NIT is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT unit / set-up to the one used in the Coupes (QPs use a Blaukpunt NIT, Coupes use the Magneti Marelli Connect+ NIT, GS use a Becker unit). Now, the NIT interfaces with the car in more than 1 way, and certainly it does more than just providing Stereo / NAV / Phone capabilities.

So be cautious. The QP interface DOES NOT WORK on the Coupe, unless there is something out there unheard of. There is no known aftermarket interface to the Coupe NIT. In Italy, some people have been playing around with interfaces to the Connect+ unit shipped on FIAT / Lancia / Alfa's, which share the core of the Maserati NIT (think that production volumes did not justify for a hardware-specific NIT unit just for Maserati) but there are software-specifc issues (and hardware set-up issues) which make those interfaces not 100% fool-proof. There is a thread some time ago where I pointed to the web sites of some of the Italian suppliers; do a serach and you will find it.

For example, the firmware update for the Connect+ NIT is avialiable in the open, BUT if you apply it to the Maser NIT you'll screw-up things big-time (as it is FIAT specific). For the Maser, you have to go to the dealer (or most likely MNA) for a firmware update.

Morale: watch out.

Ed

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
In 2002, the GPS antennae are located above the rear wheel wells on both sides of the car. They are completely hidden and very hard to access - no antennae sticking out. The antenna on the deck lid is strictly european, where it is integrated with the GSM phone. No GSM in US, therefore no antenna.

The antenna for the GPS is a little box which I think you can barely see if you remove the driver's side little panel in the trunk. I do not see the one on the passenger's side, but it clearly says in the "info center" manual that there are 2 antennae.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dip... from what you're saying, I'll be a little bit nervous about your installer. The QP NIT is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT unit / set-up to the one used in the Coupes (QPs use a Blaukpunt NIT, Coupes use the Magneti Marelli Connect+ NIT, GS use a Becker unit). Now, the NIT interfaces with the car in more than 1 way, and certainly it does more than just providing Stereo / NAV / Phone capabilities.

So be cautious. The QP interface DOES NOT WORK on the Coupe, unless there is something out there unheard of. There is no known aftermarket interface to the Coupe NIT. In Italy, some people have been playing around with interfaces to the Connect+ unit shipped on FIAT / Lancia / Alfa's, which share the core of the Maserati NIT (think that production volumes did not justify for a hardware-specific NIT unit just for Maserati) but there are software-specifc issues (and hardware set-up issues) which make those interfaces not 100% fool-proof. There is a thread some time ago where I pointed to the web sites of some of the Italian suppliers; do a serach and you will find it.

For example, the firmware update for the Connect+ NIT is avialiable in the open, BUT if you apply it to the Maser NIT you'll screw-up things big-time (as it is FIAT specific). For the Maser, you have to go to the dealer (or most likely MNA) for a firmware update.

Morale: watch out.

Ed
I agree. The stock display is tied into the climate control and the serves as the trip computer interface. I guess you could live without those functions but you may kill the resale value. That aside, I believe it may be possible to replace the stock screen with some standard, documented RGB screen, route it to the arm rest, rip the stock Magneti unit out (leaving the CD slot useless), cram some receiver/nav box in there, wire up some control head or remote unit (the dash controls will no longer work), rip the amp out of the trunk, replace it with something standard and ohm-out the speaker wires.

You go first ;)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Absolutely, positively, without question, you'll be best off getting a Garmin Nuvi GPS instead. For the US Maserati owners, you get a workable hands-free phone system instantly (I use my Nuvi 360 everywhere) - it linked directly with the phonebook in my Blackberry Pearl. Could use a little louder speaker (at least at 145 MPH on the A4 Autobahn it was a bit hard to hear :)).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Absolutely, positively, without question, you'll be best off getting a Garmin Nuvi GPS instead. For the US Maserati owners, you get a workable hands-free phone system instantly (I use my Nuvi 360 everywhere) - it linked directly with the phonebook in my Blackberry Pearl. Could use a little louder speaker (at least at 145 MPH on the A4 Autobahn it was a bit hard to hear :)).
Dip,
Rick is SO right! No factor Nav - most of us on this board would say "consider it a blessing".
Secondly, your installer may be right, may be honest and may do a perfect job; but that would be the exception; usually they overreach on what they can do. Save some, save some money, save some hassle. Buy a NUVI; enjoy the car and then take the substantial money you saved and throw a great party for all of us Maser owners on this board! YOu'll be happier and our hero!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dip,
Rick is SO right! No factory Nav - most of us on this board would say "consider it a blessing".
Secondly, your installer may be right, may be honest and may do a perfect job; but that would be the exception; usually they overreach on what they can do. Save some, save some money, save some hassle. Buy a NUVI; enjoy the car and then take the substantial money you saved and throw a great party for all of us Maser owners on this board! YOu'll be happier and our hero!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dip,
Rick is SO right! No factory Nav - most of us on this board would say "consider it a blessing".
I second the party call :D

Yep, Rick could not say it better: the stock NAV sucks ass, big-time. The day someone can design some sort of interface (if possible) to hook a decent aftermarket NAV and use the OEM screen and not loose the other NIT functionality (calling Buzz here...) he'll have my money and bet that of very many other Maser owners. But that time I think has not come.

I would rather spend that money in other enhancements, TBH.

But it's your money, hence your call. Good luck! (and keep us informed)

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ok.....ok......ok.......
i will have a very long talk with the installer and see if they have any clue what they are doing.
i am pretty obsessive/compulsive and so the concern is for a clean install of the nuvi and i do not want it attached to the windshield.
i do want to change out the speakers and amps as well.
we will see...
i just had the entire system taken out of my porsche in anticipation of transplantation to the maserati.......
i will keep everyone posted.
if i go with the nuvi- party on me!
you all decide on the location
:)
-dips

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I second the party call :D

Yep, Rick could not say it better: the stock NAV sucks ass, big-time. The day someone can design some sort of interface (if possible) to hook a decent aftermarket NAV and use the OEM screen and not loose the other NIT functionality (calling Buzz here...) he'll have my money and bet that of very many other Maser owners. But that time I think has not come.

I would rather spend that money in other enhancements, TBH.

But it's your money, hence your call. Good luck! (and keep us informed)

Ed
Crap Ed! I was just working on a decent AUX jack for my satellite radio. Now I've been challenged!

I think Dipak wants killer audio more than the nav. That's where I'm afraid he's going to come up short unless he's willing to just upgrade the amp and speakers.

BTW, do you think you can locate a Fiat or Alfa Connect Nav+ system for me in your neck of the woods? Maybe one of these cars has a chance of ending up in a junkyard ($3500 from eurospares for the display, NIT and cables!). Let me know.

Buzz

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
buzz
you are correct
i am kind of an audiophile nut and would like a superior system in the maserati.......
we will see what i end up with.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Crap Ed! I was just working on a decent AUX jack for my satellite radio. Now I've been challenged!

I think Dipak wants killer audio more than the nav. That's where I'm afraid he's going to come up short unless he's willing to just upgrade the amp and speakers.

BTW, do you think you can locate a Fiat or Alfa Connect Nav+ system for me in your neck of the woods? Maybe one of these cars has a chance of ending up in a junkyard ($3500 from eurospares for the display, NIT and cables!). Let me know.

Buzz
A 5 sec search on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.it/Navigatore-Conne...109131898QQcategoryZ75327QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

let me see if I can trace something cheaper.

Ed

·
Registered
660 Posts
BTW Buzz, these Italian dudes

http://www.bortesi.it/interfacce-aux.htm

sell a standard PIE X3 AUX interface adaptable for the Blaukpunt. Onl thing would be to use one of the display buttons as selector (e.g., if you don't have NAV, the NAV button would be useless... dunno if the button is sealed in the display unit, though, or if you can hack/rip it)

Still searching...

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
A 5 sec search on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.it/Navigatore-Conne...109131898QQcategoryZ75327QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

let me see if I can trace something cheaper.

Ed
I am researching high quality sound options as well. I've already upgraded the speakers, and added a small sub and amp in the tool cubby, but am still not happy with the sound quality coming from the NIT.

That's a one piece unit though, does anyone know how much room is behind the NAV screen? Enough to fit a double-din unit like that in there?

·
Registered
214 Posts
And I would love to comment on the head lights, but my darn firewall has blocked that lovely site.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not really... space is very tight behind the OEM display. I have a photo somewhere, with the tunnel dash dismounted. Let me try to find where it is...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
so i just had a long talk with the installer.
he is knowledgable and claims there is a way to feed the nav/gps signal into the existing screen and that through this "feed" i would be able to get xm, and other services as well on the existing info center.......

21 - 40 of 83 Posts