Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many of you know, I take delivery of my coupe gt saturday.
I have a question- shy of sitting in the vehicle and playing with the console, is there another way to tell if the car has navigation?
I am buying the car form a reputable seller and had it checked thoroughly but the dealer called me to inform met hat they mistakenly printed that it had nav and the owner says it does not....
But it has the same screen and a button that says nav under it- does this mean anything?
I am still getting the care but it would be nice to know.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
All the coupes have the same screen and nav button.
It does nothing if navigation is not installled, and from what I hear, very little if it is installed.

·
Registered
660 Posts
So as many of you know, I take delivery of my coupe gt saturday.
I have a question- shy of sitting in the vehicle and playing with the console, is there another way to tell if the car has navigation?
I am buying the car form a reputable seller and had it checked thoroughly but the dealer called me to inform met hat they mistakenly printed that it had nav and the owner says it does not....
But it has the same screen and a button that says nav under it- does this mean anything?
I am still getting the care but it would be nice to know.
thanks in advance.
02 models had the SatNav antenna in the rear left fender, quite visible. If there is no antenna, no SatNav.

03 and later models had the antenna mounted under the central dash, between the NIT display and the top air difuser.

HTH

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure about that, unless you are talking about inside the trunk compartment. I have an '02 with Nav, and I have no visible antenna on the exterior of the car.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If the owner says it doesn't have it, I bet it doesn't have it. It's the same unit, the nav software is just not enabled. This is a very common problem with dealers--they see the button and think it has it. Happened to me.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello all and thanks for the help
i believe that the car does not have the nav- which opens up a whole new issue of swapping out the unit- but that is another story
ed- that is in fact my color.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Unless in the US they had a different layout, in Europe all 02 cars I've seen with SatNav have an exterior antenna in the back.

For a 02 model in sale in the UK

http://www.compucars.co.uk/carpics/Lg213499-04.jpg

(not quite clear, but you can see a black inclined antenna at the back... that is the SatNav one)

A 03 model with SatNav but no external antenna

http://www.maranellosales.com/UCL/view.asp?id=658

BTW, is this the color of your car?

Ed
Ed, I believe that is the diversity antenna for the FM radio. The Masers have an internal antenna and can have an external antenna installed if reception is bad. The diversity module picks the better signal and switches it in. The nav satellite antenna is a tiny black "brick" (i.e. Sirius or XM) that sits under the top air vent under the windshield (it looks up through the windshield into the heavens). Search the posts on how some owners have upgraded their system by installing the antena and merely plugging it into the NIT. Dipakp may be in luck. He still needs the regional CD in the CD slot in the armrest; otherwise it's an fancy compass.

Buzz

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting buzz
so you are suggesting that all i may need is the antennae (sat/nav) that sits under the dash- hooked up to the stock unit and a regional disc?
fascinating............
if this is true- it could be good.
-d

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your excitement at the prospect of being able to make the Nav system operable may be tempered by the functionality of this early generation system. Its not a TomTom.

Now what is this about being able to install another antennae to improve radio reception?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Your excitement at the prospect of being able to make the Nav system operable may be tempered by the functionality of this early generation system. Its not a TomTom.
Speaking of which, it is the perfect solution to crappy nav system and non functioning phone..... you could buy 6 TomToms with what you save on buying the nav system.

I'd love to do a more permanent mount --- they do have a "hardwiring" bracket for the TomTom, not really sure where I'd put it though.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Now what is this about being able to install another antennae to improve radio reception?
LOL! I agree. I am no longer amused by watching my little arrow go down some little line while I drive. That said, just seeing alternate streets when in an unfamiliar neighborhood can be priceless.

So here's the quandry. Like satellite radio, aftermarket widgets in a Maser coupe/spyder SUCK. No clean place to put them and they aren't integrated into the stock sound system/screen.

Oh yes, the diversity antenna ... You can have a whip antenna (not on my car thank you) installed (i.e. drilled) on your rear bumper (shoot me) and attached to the box in the trunk called a "diversity box". Look at the first pic Ed posted. It has the whip antena installed (10-4 good buddy). If you would like to add the antenna (i just threw up i my mouth) ask the dealer (SPEW!!!!!!).

I say go for it (anyone have a mint?) :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yep Buzz, I know the NAV antenna in 03+ models is the little square black box under the central air vent. Note your point about the rear (spat) thingie being the FM diversity antenna, BUT as not 1, but 2 dealers told me, that is supposedly the NAV one. In fact, every 02 model with NAV came with that (spat) antenna installed, whereas units which didn't have the NAV were clean (thank God for those people).

You might be right, though.

To check if you have NAV, when you press the NAV button on the NIT display if it returns something like "NAV function is not available" you ran out of luck. Not having the antenna would mean you have no reception, but functionality is still there (would simply hooking an antenna turn on the NAV function on its own? Doubt it). Unless I'm missing something here...

Dip... well, that means you now know the color of your car, which is blu mediterraneo.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Buzz, you ARE right :D

Did a quick and rather basic investigation. This is the car stereo/NIT set-up for the 02 model

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=380&A=2&B=20212&S=

where you can see the rear antenna. Now I see it might have been bundled in those cars with GSM phone. This is the setup for the 03+ models

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=384&A=2&B=20559&S=

where that rear antenna is gone.

HTH
I think the external antenna can still be installed if you ask the dealer.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nav

I had the same questions about the nav when I got my 2003 GT.
I had the antenna installed and got the nav disk for my state.However you must have the dealer insert the disk into the nit unite that activates the nav section of the nit unit. Where do you live? My dealer worked with me on this.
The nav unit is not as good has my wife FX35. It is a CD based system. It does work fairly well. You just have to play with it first,and get it set up right. It does have a cool female euro voice.
Ron

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the monday after i take delivery, i am running the car by my installer
they are confident that they can rip out the existing system and adapt a new system that would be superior.
how much this will all cost me is another story.
fred- thanks about the color. now i know what color car i am getting on saturday!
i should mention that it also has the tubi installed which is nice- the seller included the stock exhaust as well which fit neatly in the trunk!
-dips

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good luck Dip... keen on knowing the results your installer can (or cannot) achieve. I guess it would be a complex task, unless, of course, they have the full wiring diagrams and know exactly what they are doing. Interestingly enough, the Magneti Marelli NIT used in the Maser is shared by other vehicles from the FIAT stable, so who knows... maybe they know some trick to be able to hook an aftermarket unit and still use the OEM display.

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ed
i think they are planning on taking out the oem screen alltogether and replacing it with an aftermarket unit.
they assure me this can be done in a seamless and beautiful fashion.
does the screen serve any other functions besides the stereo in a non-nav vehicle?
have any of you seen the interface in the quatroporte- the installer swesrs it is a similar set-up and that they have done major upgrade to qp's in the past.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts