Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I'm new to the board, and Maserati-less. As I enter a new car cycle, I'm drawn by emotion to the beautiful Maserati Coupe or Gran Sport. But my head says life will be more predictable with the new BMW M6. And, in fact, I'm #2 on a waiting list for the M car with a dealership sure to be allocated at least three or four in the next year.

While very enticing, buying--or leasing--a Maserati spooks me in a couple of ways, and I'm hoping someone can help me out with some information and advice.

I've read enough posts to know that the Maserati will work fine--if running--as a daily driver. But I can't glean from the web and forum some basic information regarding ordering and pricing. (And I don't want to be asking these questions for the first time to a dealer.)

1. What precisely is the list price (MSRP) for the base Coupe and the Gran Sport?
2. What are the charges for customization--changing the interior in particular?
3. What additions or upgrades do you believe should be ordered--that you wouldn't do without, or you would get if you could order again? (And is NAV just not worth bothering about?)
4. What is the typical waiting time for an ordered Maserati?
5. What is the norm, including some stop light driving, for the time a clutch lasts on the cc?
6. How good is the base sound system? How good is the Auditorium upgrade? And how much is the Auditorium upgrade?
7. What am I not taking account of that I should? What else do I need to know?

It is psychologically appealing that the M6 will come with every upgrade BMW has available on the 6 series. I'm very curious how quickly the tab gets into the stratosphere with the Maserati.

Congratulations to all who have their Maseratis. I think it is a truly beautiful car.

And thanks in advance to those who take the trouble to help me out.

jrb

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Well, I was in a similar mode. I was on the waiting list for a new M5. As interesting a car as it was, I decided that it was, well, pretty "lifeless" of an automobile. Bland styling, awesome drivetrain. I also considered the four year maintenance thing as a plus, though I suspect that the V10 will be a bit finicky because of its "newness" and may have maintenance issues of its own (the first batches needed to have new oil pumps retrofitted, for example). Also, the M6 has no back seat room. I sat in the back of a 645 (same thing) versus the Maserati. The Maserati had a few extra inches, which made it suitable for adults in the back seat, unlike the "midget" seats in the BMW.

If you can afford the Gran Sport, I'd go there, if just for the styling tweaks and the extra 10 HP. You can't go wrong with the Coupe, either.

Unless you get lost easily, don't bother with a NAV system in *any* car, ever. They all suck. Portable units are pretty awesome these days.

The base sound system in the Maserati is pretty lame, in my opinion, but I don't much care, since I prefer the sound of the engine. :D

The clutch thing scares me a bit, I'll admit, but from what I hear of the violent shifting of the new M's, I wouldn't assume that they'll be any better.

·
Registered
835 Posts
1. What precisely is the list price (MSRP) for the base Coupe and the Gran Sport?
coupe is around 100k and 110+ for GS

Varies. Piping is $250 stiching is also 250 i believe... edmunds.com has a pretty accurate list on options.

3. What additions or upgrades do you believe should be ordered--that you wouldn't do without, or you would get if you could order again? (And is NAV just not worth bothering about?)
Rick is right. No NAV ** check one of the threads posted by thebimbo he hooked up a pioneer nav and i thought it looks quite nice.

about 3 months. I waited 4... built to order but you probably won't get as much of a discount. Average is about 5G off sticker

5. What is the norm, including some stop light driving, for the time a clutch lasts on the cc?
some said 12k, some said 20k. I've yet to find out myself only got 4k on mine.

6. How good is the base sound system? How good is the Auditorium upgrade? And how much is the Auditorium upgrade?
Rick is once again right on the money. Most of us on this forum hated the stock sound system.

Tubi exhaust if you are getting the coupe :twisted: Exhaust on GS is tubi OEM
Call FM of OC... I checked all four FM dealerships here and OC is the best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a GS that I picked up in April...had a '05 Coupe for four months prior. I also have a '00 M5. I have tried to provide answers to some of your questions

1 What precisely is the list price (MSRP) for the base Coupe and the Gran Sport?
Coupe with F1 shifter is around $87K base but xenon and skyhook seem to come on all US models and add around $5K to the base. I would figure on $8-10K in total options which puts the average Coupe at between $95-97K but then you have to add gas guzzler tax of over $3K. Figure $98-100K final MSRP. '05 Coupes can be bought for around $85-87 drive off price.

Gransport base is $97k and again plan on about $8-10K in options and gas guzzler. The 10K differential on base is worth it however, Gransports are not discounted as much so you may end up paying more in difference. Mine stickered for $112,300 and at the time discounts were limited.

Changing caliper color is $500; and interior color changes can run between $250 -$800 Leather headline is about $1400.

Forget Nav...its expensive and doesn't work well. I would get heated/memory seats, Upgraded Stereo, aluminum pedals, I prefer the sports seats in the GS...option in the Coupe(probably expensive)...and I like the GS steering wheel. Other than Xenon and Skyhook...most options are cosmetic.

Mine took 6 months from order to delivery...you may find some on the lots and get a better price

Can't help here as I only have 4500 on the odo...I would recommend that you not view F1 as an automatic and stay out of that mode...it runs through the gears at rates that you would never do in manual..I will say that when I first bought my 2000 M5 that all the forums talked about faulty clutchs and premature failure...I have 48K on it and it still works great. It will depend on how you drive...I imagine the later models are much improved over earlier versions.

I haven't heard the stock...Auditorium sounds fine to me...I would recomend the $800 for that option and forget about it. Adding a high end system to a finicky electrical system is not recommended. I also would forego the CD changer...especially in the Coupe...it sucks.

The Maserati is an extoic daily driver...the M5 is a four door sedan that can keep up with most exotics. Both will have little glitchs due to the amount of electronics invloved...the Maserati excites me more to drive...even if I am just taking my son to soccer. I don't however believe you will go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Which looks better in your opinion.

One thing to take into consideration is the facelift the Coupe got from 04 to 05. As well as the 19 inch rims and ground effects on the Grand Sport.

I just bought an 04 CC with 1,000 miles with a tubi and all the custom stitching and bells and whistles for $70,000. As far as I am concerned I got tremendous bang for my buck. These cars depreciate a lot. I have seen some great deals on Grand Sports with less than 1,000 miles.

That being said, if money is no concern at all, get whichever one looks and drives better. I am not a huge fan of the 05 new front and rear bumpers and scoops. I don't love the the ground effects on the GS either. Just my opinion.

I have been driving in sports mode and with 18's on Central NJ roads, it rides rough over the bumps. I'd imagine 19's on the GS would ride rougher. I drive my car almost every day. I am budgeting on a new clutch about every 15,000 - 18,000 miles... The service just comes with the car.

I used to own a BMW and a few Benzs and they are nice cars. However,
I don't think they compare to an Italian Exotic Car. I think the Maserati is on a different level. I own one so yes, I am bais..

As far as options, I have the NAV with the disks un opened in the trunk. The sound system is average at best. I LOVE my tubi and you must get one.. They add great music. I wish I had heated seats. I have the leather head rest and the multi colored stitching which sets the interior out.

Bottom line, I don't think you could go wrong buying a Maserati. They are very engaging and fun to drive and they look incredible. Plus you will not see as many as you will of BMWs.

I wish you all the best with your purchase. Good Luck. Let us know what you get. CM

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TC and Chris:

Great information. Thanks, it really helps. My heart says Maserati; but I know when it comes time to pull the trigger I won't get one unless the price stays reasonably close to the M6 (I really do want the Gran Sport); and I'm convinced the car won't spend its life in the shop.

We usually have three cars. Until recently it was two M3s and an S2000. But I just turned in the leased S2000 (to my taste, an enormously fun car), and it's time to turn the '03 M3 over. ( I actually find the M3 somehow too efficient--although its SMG is wonderful; and, to be frank, I'm a bit tired of half the kids in Mustang Cobras, EVOs, and WRXs--and for that matter other M3s--wanting to show me how hot their cars are. I find it silly and boring.)

In any case, I've decided to see about happiness with just two cars; and so feel the need for my new one and only to be dependable.

One last question: I read that Maserati is introducing new Coupe and Gran Sport models soon. Is this a fact? And if so, when are they expected to arrive; and in what ways will they differ from the current cars (other than--I'd guess--a price bump)?

jrb

·
Registered
824 Posts
GET: heated seats, park distance control (pretty hard to see out the back when parking), Skyhook suspension.

SKIP: the nav system, CD changer (get the iPod interface as mentioned).

I looked at the new 6 series but BMW totally has lost the plot on styling, especially the interior.

I got the Auditorium 200 system. Only point of note is that you lose the graphic EQ that the base system has. Big deal.

The Maserati drives great, the 05 coupes look even more beautiful. The GranSport is a drivers car, and probably a better car overall but I don't like the styling.

Here's my 05 coupe:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Glenn, Rick, bimbo and all:

Glenn: I do agree that the Coupe is a better looker than the Gran Sport. I'm afraid, however, I'd be missing very much--if only in my imagination--the performance tweaks that make the GS a "driver's car."

I'm surprised, and relieved to this point, that no one has issued any dire warnings about Maser quality/control issues. Reading the thread is reassuring to both my engineer wife and me--and making it seem like it's going to be pretty hard to resist the Italian option.

jrb

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Come on in - the water's fine. :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm surprised, and relieved to this point, that no one has issued any dire warnings about Maser quality/control issues
you can't be serious!! we are die hards :twisted:

Glenn: I do agree that the Coupe is a better looker than the Gran Sport
Gonna have to disagree with you and glenn, i find GS a better looking car than my spyder :cry: even eight months later i sometimes ask myself why I didn't get GS instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
haha
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing