Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be purchasing a 2003 Coupe' Cambiocorsa in January. I will be paying cash and have every intention of this being my daily driver for life =) (I've put 160k miles on my '98 BMW 5 series). Anyway, does anyone have any idea of the expected life of the motor? I know about the clutch, CC pump and tire issues; but what about bearings, rings, valve guides, timing chains, etc? What's the most miles you've seen? Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks! Buzz

·
Registered
681 Posts
Motors are very strong and reliable expect to get 15-40k out of the clutch depending on how youw drive it. Highest mileage one I've seen is a customer out in Georgia who has 71,000 miles on his, it's an 02 Coupe GT on the original clutch, all he's done is the recommended services. I've seen a few others between 40-50k miles but nothing higher, maybe others can chime in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congrats!

I've been driving my 04CC as a daily since new. I only have just north of 22,000 miles but the cars been great. Only normal maint and some tires. The only issue was the common F1 pump replaced under warranty.

Best of luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good daily driver....fits the golf clubs (most importantly). Having said that, would recommend a second car. After you drive the coupe for three or four days, it's nice to have a little break, if only for one day (i.e it's nice to listen to a real stereo, stretch your legs a little, and feel a bit more anonymous). Bottom line, everything that makes the coupe great is best enjoyed with slight moderation. Besides, taking after taking break for a day, the sensory deprivation of climbing back into the cockpit will put a big smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback! I live in Plano, Texas and I was hoping Boardwalk would have more of an early coupe selection. I guess I'll just keep my eye on the web site. Is it the general opinion of the board to buy from a dealer? Is it easier to negotiate a new clutch/F1 pump as part of the deal, or do they even do that? Any news on the extended warranty?

·
Registered
192 Posts
No news yet on an extended warranty.

Don't replace the F1 pump unless it goes bad. If the car is out of warranty, you can probably get a "We Owe" for an F1 change upon failure good for X time period.

As for a new clutch, that may be harder, but hey its been done

·
Registered
11 Posts
Savor the CC

I was in a similar situation, selling my M3 and purchasing my '04 CC for use as a daily driver. After driving the CC everyday for about a month, I opted to purchase an Acura for the utilitarian task of my 2.5 mile commute to work. I felt the CC barely got up to operating temperature, plus I feel she is a supermodel and needs to appreciated as such. I drove the CC up PCH to the Monterey Historics in August and really haven't driven it much since. But when I set in that cockpit, I feel like a kid in a candy store! I savor every minute of it. My feeling is that a CC is like a fine wine or cognac and needs to be savored as such, it makes it that much more special. On another note Boardwalk treated me very well and I love the CC.

-------------
2004 CC, Alfieri Grigio with Bourdeaux int.
2003 RSX

·
Registered
46 Posts
58,000 miles (not km) on my '03 CC

I have 58K miles on my '03 CC coupe. Repairs so far:
Clutch at 48K miles ($2K)
Steering rack at 58K miles ($2K)
Front brakes at 58K miles ($1.8K)
New spark plugs at 58K miles (~$750)
Tires every 10K miles (pilot Sport II's)

My dealer is a bit of a bend over and take it till it hurts sort of place here in the San Fernando Valley in L.A. So my experience is that it is a fun car but many, many times the maintenance costs of my old M3 which had over 140K miles on it when I sold it with no major repairs at all.

My thought is that the Maserati is great fun but not a good daily driver unless you don't mind $4K for service a year. Car is exotic so pay to play.

By the way, I do take it to track days, I drive it like I stole it the rest of the time and am basically as hard on it as anyone can be. However, I am meticulous about always changing all fluids and doing all services at or before recommended mileages.

·
Registered
722 Posts
mvarat said:
Clutch at 48K miles ($2K)... My dealer is a bit of a bend over and take it till it hurts sort of place here in the San Fernando Valley
Dude, when my clutch fails, I'm flatbedding my GS to your dealer! It's $4K at the local dealer in Silicon Valley.

Did you put all those 48K miles on the clutch yourself? That's very good clutch life! Maybe I should start also driving my car like I stole it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, ALWAYS drive it like you stole it! I grew up in Millbrae and bought my Viper there (new in '98). I put 30,000 on that beast racing every 5.0 Mustang, RX7 and Supra on the El Cam (and on 101 and 280 and.....) I worked in Santa Clara and commuted every day. I WISH I had the Coupe' Cambiocorsa back then. I would have ROCKED!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Deane,

NEVER get anything done at FMSV they're twice the price and half the quality/trustworthiness of FMSF.

FMSV quoted $6,000 to replace the clutch @ 45k miles in addition to "misinterpreting" the amount of life remaining.

When I told them FMSF would do the job for $3,500 they very graciously discounted their quote to $5,000.

It's a major PITA to go to Marin but what price peace of mind?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Clutch life

Several track days and hard driving and clutch life was good.

For what it is worth, I have come to the conclusion that slow city commuting and lots of steep, slow driveways and roads kill the clutch.

Hard driving, fast driving, always in sport mode and very little city commuting is probably the key to clutch life in these cars.

EVeryone enjoy and I will be thankful that my dealer, by comparison, isn't so bad for pricing. $4K for a clutch up North? Insane...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Steeldream said:
It's a major PITA to go to Marin but what price peace of mind?
And you can always hang out nearby at Emporio Rulli for coffee/italian pastry/panini!

FoSF took good care of me, even got a loaner QP while my window seal was being replaced.

Deane

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 05 GS and really feel it is the least usable daily driver I have ever owned. The F1 tranny really hates traffic of any kind and the front end tends to wander over uneven pavement. I leave the task of too and from work to my 06 GTI or my 06 Suzuki Vstrom. Not to be discouraging, but the Germans and the Jap's make better $$$$$ daily cars (I have had a slew of AMG's and Porsche's).

·
Registered
722 Posts
I bought my 2006 Spyder hoping it would be a daily driver. It doesn't seem to be turning out that way, for me at least, even though I still want it to.

Here's why:

1) It's too nice to burn up in my stop-and-go bumper car commute against toyotas and mercedes. I thought I could do it, but I seem to have a psychological problem with slowly turning such a gem into a beater. Maybe if I'd bought it three years old, it would be different.

2) It's a lot of fun when pushed, and is unbeatable on a sunny warm day, but when you're just pounding along the same wagon wheel ruts from point A to B for the 1500th time, or when it's cold and drippy outside, I'd often rather be cocooned in some hybrid with a killer stereo and head-curtain airbags. My wife's Rx400h, although a ridiculous girly-car, is otherwise superb for this kind of duty.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What happened to the steering rack?

mvarat said:
Clutch at 48K miles ($2K)
Steering rack at 58K miles ($2K)
Front brakes at 58K miles ($1.8K)
New spark plugs at 58K miles (~$750)
Tires every 10K miles (pilot Sport II's)

My dealer is a bit of a bend over and take it till it hurts sort of place here in the San Fernando Valley in L.A. So my experience is that it is a fun car but many, many times the maintenance costs of my old M3 which had over 140K miles on it when I sold it with no major repairs at all.

My thought is that the Maserati is great fun but not a good daily driver unless you don't mind $4K for service a year. Car is exotic so pay to play.

By the way, I do take it to track days, I drive it like I stole it the rest of the time and am basically as hard on it as anyone can be. However, I am meticulous about always changing all fluids and doing all services at or before recommended mileages.

Congrats on the mileage. My 04 is a keeper.. I never heard of the steering rack problem? Can you tell us what it is and perhaps what caused it.

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
23 Posts
buy it and use it you'll not regret it

no point in buying a car you are not going to use - I use mine daily in all kinds of traffic and weather about 400 miles a week - the reason I went for the manual gear box - you will soon build up a strong left leg :) - nothing wrong with the clutch or the steering - thats probably tyre wear

Tim

·
Registered
192 Posts
As far as using the car as a daily in traffic-- my thoughts are traffic is going to suck no matter what I drive, at least I love the car I'm stuck in.

Thats why a beater has never worked for me (I tried but being stuck in a Nissan Altima for 90 minutes was torture-- comfy torture but still bad.)

-dsd

·
Registered
82 Posts
dsd said:
As far as using the car as a daily in traffic-- my thoughts are traffic is going to suck no matter what I drive, at least I love the car I'm stuck in.
-dsd
You probably don't have to deal with snow and salt trucks. My Coupe is going to stay in its nice warm garage as soon as the first snow arrives and there it will stay until the spring rains turn the roads black once more. My Volvo 'R' Wagon (a great dog hauler) can deal with the Winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts