Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know....it sounds strange. But...After my 2002 Coupe GT warms up, comes off the freeway and rejoins city traffic ...it will creak at low speeds, from takeoff to 30 mph, or so. It does appear to be coming from the rear, perhaps the suspension area, but I am at a loss. It is an intermittent noise, and does not seem related to speed of rotation of tires. This does not happen when the car is cold, and I do not hear anything at higher speeds. Could it also be some torque tube weirdness, exhaust, or what other component?

Anyone else hear creaking when crawling along city streets in hot weather?
I am well into my middle age, so it could be the driver, but I figured no harm asking....
:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea, my '02 Coupe CC does that exact same thing. I seem to notice it when going over speed bumps and down the curb at the end of the driveway, so was pretty sure it was the springs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First post from a Northern Irish owner of 4200 cc!

My newly acquired 2003 model does this, creak/grating noise, especially at low manouvring speeds, only from driver side front, was really irritating.

Firstly, the drop link was replaced, made no difference, then another mechanic looked it over, found a displaced shim, also copper lubed top and lowest coil of spring; then both anti-roll bar bushes were silicone lubed, made a big improvement but it still happens occasionally!

Its due our vehicle annual test shortly, will see if they turn up anything!

Cheers from this side of the Atlantic!....:cheers:

P

·
Registered
35 Posts
rear creak

2004 cc creaks with various things. usually slow rocking type terrain causes it. I assume it's suspension related. Never worried about it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
bushings

i have complained about this for a couple of years, particularly in hot weather . It was finally diagnosed last week as worn suspension bushings. Now for the killer I am being told that control arm and sway bar bushings are going. Two different fixes from two shops one replace the control arms $6,000 need to be replaced, the other replace the bushings $3400. still recovering from $4,000 for the Kevlar clutch. Any experience out there this sounds really expensive for bushing replacement?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Seen on some other posts that the rear bushings generally last ~4 years, and that the dealer generally wants to replace the entire arm versus just hte bushing.

$3,400 seems outrageous for a bushing replacement!

·
Registered
123 Posts
i have complained about this for a couple of years, particularly in hot weather . It was finally diagnosed last week as worn suspension bushings. Now for the killer I am being told that control arm and sway bar bushings are going. Two different fixes from two shops one replace the control arms $6,000 need to be replaced, the other replace the bushings $3400. still recovering from $4,000 for the Kevlar clutch. Any experience out there this sounds really expensive for bushing replacement?

Can you identify off this diagram due to differing nomenclatures......

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/025/Large/025_045.gif

Courtesy of Eurospares, or go directly too their page on suspension parts.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=384&A=1&B=20506&S=

I know some guys over here are refurbishing some aspects of wishbones etc, maybe in USA too!

P

·
Registered
357 Posts
No creaking on my '02, but that sounds like bushings if it happens on suspension compression or wheel bearings if it's speed related.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had that recently, since going to FD sway bars, my mechanic says he needs to re-lube the bushings or something like that.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
If it's the bushings, can't you just press new, urethane ones into the control arms rather than replacing the whole thing? Seems this would be easier, much less costly, and improve handling to boot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wrote about this in a thread I started a while back, hearing it in my '06 GS Spyder

So recently im noticing on my 06 GS spyder that there is a weird squeaking or whistleing noise that sounds like its coming from the wheels or maybe the engine after the car has warmed up when i am starting to roll from a dead stop. the tempo goes faster as i speed up (which is why im thinking its in the wheel house) then goes away around 25 -30mph.

It sounds like one of those old tube toys that you would whirl around your head as a child and it made that whistle noise. Anyone else experienced this?

Rich

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would suspect wheel bearing on that one. Possibly a dragging caliper, but sounds more like a wheel bearing. Does the sound change if you swerve left or right? If so, that increases the odds its a wheel bearing.

I wrote about this in a thread I started a while back, hearing it in my '06 GS Spyder

So recently im noticing on my 06 GS spyder that there is a weird squeaking or whistleing noise that sounds like its coming from the wheels or maybe the engine after the car has warmed up when i am starting to roll from a dead stop. the tempo goes faster as i speed up (which is why im thinking its in the wheel house) then goes away around 25 -30mph.

It sounds like one of those old tube toys that you would whirl around your head as a child and it made that whistle noise. Anyone else experienced this?

Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would suspect wheel bearing on that one. Possibly a dragging caliper, but sounds more like a wheel bearing. Does the sound change if you swerve left or right? If so, that increases the odds its a wheel bearing.
No not really, but I haven't been able to drive it since the car has been at the shop for way too long getting the holes fixed in the top.

·
Registered
104 Posts
me creaky too

I hate that noise. from standing start or decel in first gear or over bumps and stuff, left rear corner metal spring/grating sound. dealership absolutely no help! I just keep the windows up and play the radio louder. :autofahrer:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Raise the volume of the radio,sound will be gone lol. I would have the suspension checked out, something thats moving is doing the creaking. Most probably the creaking is caused by worn out bushing or something similar.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Is this wear and tear? Wouldn't warranty cover if it were the case?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts