Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just found this forum today, great resource! I've had an '05 Coupe since new and love it. I'm at 20K miles. I've searched the forum for advice on the proper way to launch (perhaps sitting at a red light next to a *fill in the blank* other car and want to really go!). Have not found anything specific. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

Jerry:confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jerry,

I know there is a proper way to launch. I remember racing my buddy at a red light in his CL600 and thought it would be a pretty decent race seeing as how the cars are about similar on paper.

To my dismay he smoked me because I spend about 2-3 seconds spinning out my tires! After, he told me there was a correct way to launch using the CC transmission as he recalls reading it somewhere online.

So, there is a way to get a perfect out the gate jump without burning too much rubber. Now I want to know too!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Aero - two things you need to know. First, you'll need to turn off MSP and second, you really, really, need to purchase the Drive By Wire (DBW) kit from Formula Dynamics. It bypasses the Maserati clutch programming and turns the car into a beast. You may have noticed that you need to push the accelerator about half way before the car launches. Maserati has programmed the clutch engagement to be 'soft' for a smooth takeoff. This is crap when it comes to wanting to launch your car from a dead stop. The Formula Dynamics module advances the trigger points for the clutch engagement....your biggest problem will be controlling the wheelspin!

Search the forum for "DBW" or "drive by wire" and you'll find others here who have done the install like me and swear by it. It will transform your car and my estimate is that it will shave at least .5 off your 0 - 60 times.

Oh yea - welcome to Maserati Life!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Aero - two things you need to know. First, you'll need to turn off MSP and second, you really, really, need to purchase the Drive By Wire (DBW) kit from Formula Dynamics. It bypasses the Maserati clutch programming and turns the car into a beast. You may have noticed that you need to push the accelerator about half way before the car launches. Maserati has programmed the clutch engagement to be 'soft' for a smooth takeoff. This is crap when it comes to wanting to launch your car from a dead stop. The Formula Dynamics module advances the trigger points for the clutch engagement....your biggest problem will be controlling the wheelspin!

Search the forum for "DBW" or "drive by wire" and you'll find others here who have done the install like me and swear by it. It will transform your car and my estimate is that it will shave at least .5 off your 0 - 60 times.

Oh yea - welcome to Maserati Life!
+1...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome note and the thoughts Vincenzo. Sounds like great advice. I cannot believe I hadn't heard of the FD DBW kit before. After a few minutes researching it on this board as well as their web site, the kit seems to address the CC shortcomings. Also, the ECU, exhaust and suspension upgrades look promising as well! I've sent them a note asking for a quote. Thanks again!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't have to press my gas pedal down halfway to get the car to move, my car (and clutch) picks up nicely.

Turn sport mode on, put foot down.

If you turn MSP off and floor it, you'll get a ton of wheelspin and probably pitch the car sideways, not an efficient launch.

The sport mode launch is pretty efficient BUT the problem is the MSP cuts in again as you rev out in 1st gear and shift to 2nd.

If you're really careful with MSP off and get it rolling before you punch it, that might work too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So...if the DBW enhancement module is such a no brainer and transforms the cars' character for the better (and extends clutch life?) from all feedback I've seen here (which I believe) why wouldn't Maserati put such a thing or reprogram the cars like this from the factory? Is there a downside that isn't as often mentioned as the performance gain aspect? For example, do shifts in traffic become less civilized? -Ibrahim (Boston).

·
Registered
226 Posts
So...if the DBW enhancement module is such a no brainer and transforms the cars' character for the better (and extends clutch life?) from all feedback I've seen here (which I believe) why wouldn't Maserati put such a thing or reprogram the cars like this from the factory? Is there a downside that isn't as often mentioned as the performance gain aspect? For example, do shifts in traffic become less civilized? -Ibrahim (Boston).
The reports are all good, and like you, I do wonder why the factory programming slows down the shifts at lower speeds.
Certainly full throttle shifts above 5000 rpm are fast, as stated in the owners manual. I guess the DBW tricks the gearbox to think this condition at lower speeds.
Cheers
Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
The best way I can describe it is; the factory programing makes throttle position a request to move forward, DBWEM turns your input into a DEMAND. Instead of easing on the power, the pedal becomes a command to accelerate as one would expect this car to do instead of asking a luxury car to speed up. This is for throttle response as well as gear changes (although gear changes at lower RPM are still smooth and slower than >5K RPM).

·
5,887 Posts
The reports are all good, and like you, I do wonder why the factory programming slows down the shifts at lower speeds.
Certainly full throttle shifts above 5000 rpm are fast, as stated in the owners manual. I guess the DBW tricks the gearbox to think this condition at lower speeds.
Cheers
Mike
The is exactly what the DBWEM does. It "tricks" the TCU into thinking you are always at full throttle.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
5,887 Posts
First, there is no performance gain with the DBWEM. Second, I personally wouldn't call it a "must have". I love Formula Dynamics and Jeff's customer service is second to none. With that said, the DBWEM is cool and transforms throttle response. It is up to each driver to decide if a lighter gas pedal is worth the coin. I'm not sure if I would do it again. Now, IMHO, the sport springs are an absolute must for anyone that likes to drive fast

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts