Maserati Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I know I will get no love from my West Coast brethren, but this is some bull right here :(
WTF!!!.jpg

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,163 Posts
Yes, but at least you guys can get 93 octane there .. would be great if we could get it here.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, but at least you guys can get 93 octane there .. would be great if we could get it here.
What octanes do you guys get at the pump???

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,163 Posts
91 is the highest. ( there are about 1 out of 100 stations which sell 100 octane, if you want to mix some of that with the 91, but you have to drive way out of your way to find one..) Then there's 89 and 87. I don't know anyone who pumps in 87 unless they have a 70s Chevy or, a rent-a-car .. 🤨

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
91 is the highest. ( there are about 1 out of 100 stations which sell 100 octane, if you want to mix some of that with the 91, but you have to drive way out of your way to find one..) Then there's 89 and 87. I don't know anyone who pumps in 87 unless they have a 70s Chevy or, a rent-a-car .. 🤨
Good to know 91 runs fine, If I ever see it... (y)
I used to mix in 100LL (low lead) Avgas from my buddy's general aviation FBO. Since I was getting it for free I got a lil carried away. After about a year, I completely destroyed the motor in my 1991 BMW M3. Burned a hole through 3 of the pistons...what a sad day that was for a young 25 year old idiot :p

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,163 Posts
Yeah, no problem with 91 for any car , IMO. When I added 4 gallons of 100 to 16 gallons of 91 , in my Porsche I could swear the engine was “singing“ a bit better, but it may have just been a negligible sound and better revv outcome, there was zero performance gain ( I timed it in a couple of runs with various octane grades in it ).

I know a couple of people ( also young at the time, they were both in their 20s ) who destroyed their engines by using full tanks of 100 octane and running the cars on the track like that ..just like you said, it took a while but eventually ..BOOM !

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah, no problem with 91 for any car , IMO. When I added 4 gallons of 100 to 16 gallons of 91 , in my Porsche I could swear the engine was “singing“ a bit better, but it may have just been a negligible sound and better revv outcome, there was zero performance gain ( I timed it in a couple of runs with various octane grades in it ).

I know a couple of people ( also young at the time, they were both in their 20s ) who destroyed their engines by using full tanks of 100 octane and running the cars on the track like that ..just like you said, it took a while but eventually ..BOOM !
To this day, still my Favorite car ever! White, with dark cardinal red leather interior. 5 speed stick, Sport Evolution. Sunroof, rear wing with a flipped up trailing edge, Cellular One telephone. Back then was $0.45 per minute ANYTIME you were on the phone, lol. Denon aftermarket in dash pull out casette player with 6 disc changer in the trunk. That car was as smooth as butter, quick, and handled like crazy. Would give anything to have that one back. I ran a 50/50 mix of Avgas and pump gas which as I know now, was suicidal :cry:

Reactions: DSGT

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven't seen 93 since 2010 in Canada. AZ has 91 as top shelf fuel.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Interesting these different gas prices and octanes, depending on where you live on this continent.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts