Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in a prior Post, I am selling my 02 Spyder after 1.5 years of ownership. I added up the money I put into the car, including the Purchase Price and assuming I sell the car at what I am asking, I calculated the cost of ownership to be $1.38 per mile.

granted, I put money into the car for "upgrades" ie 19 inch rims $3600, Audio upgrades $1000, lowering the car $800, but these I felt were essential to my enjoyment of the car. I suppose I could have struck the 19inch rims off the list, by buying an 2003,albeit at a highter purchase price at the time ( I hate the 02 Stock rims), but the other items, I felt were deficiencies in the car which needed to be corrected.

Has anyone done the same? Chris in Jersey????

·
Registered
329 Posts
No issues on cost per mile. I measure my toys @ cost per smile

2002 Maserati Coupe GT - $50K
Registration - $4.5K
Insurance and Gas - $2.9K + (per year)
Can't seem to wipe that silly grin off my face every time I drive it - priceless

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i don't know what you are complaining about. your 02 spyder has already been depreciated previously by other owners.

your cost per mile is already better than many of us who bought our cars new.

and, like the other mentioned, cost per mile is not a main concern for many of us.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M! said:
i don't know what you are complaining about. your 02 spyder has already been depreciated previously by other owners.

your cost per mile is already better than many of us who bought our cars new.

and, like the other mentioned, cost per mile is not a main concern for many of us.

hmm..M!, I'm not really complaining, just throwing out conversation speaking from a singular point of view. I guess you have answered for the rest of the many others so we should just shut this particular thread down.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
sure. just to throw in the conversation as well, may be you should have driven it more ;) how many miles have you driven in the 1.5 years?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cost per mile.....

If I drop dead later today, my car would have cost about $60 per mile since I have owned it (assuming my relatives can sell the thing at a reasonable price).

We all think about 'cost of ownership' when we are buying things that we 'don't really need' - you could have bought the Honda, right..... You either feel guilty about the purchase because you should have used the money to pay off some mortgage, send the kids to private school, etc., or because running your toy actually costs a lot more than a Ford (which would still get you from A2B with the wife, kids and dog).

You've bought a little piece of your dreams in buying your car in the first place and had the enjoyment of driving a nice car over the last 2 years - have you factored that into the 'cost-per-mile figure?

If I do meet the men in white gowns today, at least I will have enjoyed the use of my car, as opposed to resting in peace knowing my bank manager is looking after my $50 grand......

·
Registered
722 Posts
Funny thing, your average new car may cost about 0.60-0.80 per mile over four years anyway. More life can be more expensive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If the average car costs 0.60-0.80 then 1.38 sounds very reasonable. These cars are much more than two average cars. IMHO you really should exclude new rims from a calculations like this, as nobody will ever pay for used modifications. Do you have a speadsheet to show the calculation?

- Toffe

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am certainly a loon and I just like to have an idea of cost.....

demoe said:
As I mentioned in a prior Post, I am selling my 02 Spyder after 1.5 years of ownership. I added up the money I put into the car, including the Purchase Price and assuming I sell the car at what I am asking, I calculated the cost of ownership to be $1.38 per mile.

granted, I put money into the car for "upgrades" ie 19 inch rims $3600, Audio upgrades $1000, lowering the car $800, but these I felt were essential to my enjoyment of the car. I suppose I could have struck the 19inch rims off the list, by buying an 2003,albeit at a highter purchase price at the time ( I hate the 02 Stock rims), but the other items, I felt were deficiencies in the car which needed to be corrected.

Has anyone done the same? Chris in Jersey????
Demoe:

Funny you mention me... Yeah, I made all sort of calculations actually got it down on a per mile basis, but did you add in insurance and gas..... ha ha...

I paid $70,000 plus tax, it had 1,200 miles and a Tubi. I currently have 11,200 miles on it and have had it for a year.

Cost of Operating:
Costs YTD, $450 - 6K Service, $250- NJ License Plate, Oil Change next month $200.00, Car insurance $1,400., Front Speakers $200.00, Gas about 30.00 X 52 weeks say $1,600. Total Annual Cost to Drive in 1st year $4,100.00 divide by 10,000 miles gets me to .41 cents a mile....... Don't worry the cost will rise once I have to get a clutch job... and another service...

Assuming I sold the car today for $62,000.00 I would just add $8,000 of depreciation and divide by the miles....or add another .80 cents... or $1.21 per mile....

If I didn't spend the money on a toy for me, my wife would have spent it... Either way it would have been gone.... Life is way too short and you can always make money... At 32, I want to enjoy every year of my life... I do not care to become really wealthy when I am old, if that means I forgo many years of enjoyment... I try to live a balanced lifestyle, work hard, play hard...

So many times I think I want a Ferrari or a Lambo and the additional cost(s) and reduced drive time never seems worth another 80,000 on top of my car.... I love my Maz...

My wife laughs at me because I tell her, I am happy and content... Sometimes you can't put a price on that.....

As soon as your Maz is no longer worth the cost of ownership its time to sell it and move on.

I wish you all the best on your next whip.. Please let us know what you get.....

CM

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dining on Italian costs more than German or English...

Being bored I did the same with my other 2 cars, the Lotus and the Benz...I have done the same Mods to the cars with Suspension, wheels, etc...my figures are pretty crude, but a decent cost representation

the Benz--.44 cents per mile so far.
the Lotus.41 cents

My costs do include gas, not insurance.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I think you've focused too much on the "numerator" and not enough on the "denominator". Since you're not factoring in fuel and insurance, the best way to reduce your cost/mile is to drive more! Even so, I'm probably at about the same level - maybe $1.15-$1.20/mile, at about 8,000 miles/year.

Worth every penny...I truly do get that much enjoyment out of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts