Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about unlucky... I parked my baby down LBI on the street about an inch from the curb. You can see about 5 miles in either direction. Everything is crystal clear.

As I went to drive home I noticed a black mark on my rear quarter panel above the tail light. Upon further investigation it appeared to be an inch long dent above my brake light. Then I noticed a small puncture in my rear tail light.

Before I flip out, I call the cops. They come by and point out the tire marks that rub off on the rear bumper. Apparently an individual on a bicycle pedaled into my rear brake light. (What type of moron pedals a bike into a parked car...... anyway..) I get a police report for my insurance company.

Then I call FMNJ and see what body shop they take their cars to. The dent was not bad at all, but it had to be fixed and the rear light replaced.

Inorder for them to do that, they have to paint a lot more than the tiny dent. This worries me because, while I have absolutely no intention of selling my car, I fear this repair which can not be picked up by the naked eye is very bad for the value of my car.

Here is where it gets interesting. I was told by the repair facility that spot painting cosmetic damage is normal on Maseratis and Ferraris, since they are hand painted and assembled from the factory. I have also talked with Ferrari salesmen that say they repaint the rock chips and nose on some of their used F cars before they resell them.

I find that very hard to believe.... Until...... I see a new Ferrari at the same shop. There was a grease pen that had a bunch of tiny scratches and paint imperfections circled to be corrected. This was on a brand new untitled Ferrari 430 from the factory.

Which leads me back to my baby. Although she was never in an accident, she just had portions of the rear quarter panel, trunk and bumper repainted. The finished product is beautiful.

How bad did it hurt the value of the car? I know its not worth much as it is, (although its worth a ton to me)

Would you consider buying a car that you were told was not in an accident but was spot painted?

Does anyone have any paint imperfections that they noticed from the factory?

CM

·
Registered
722 Posts
If your car is painted in a solid color, spot painting can often be close to invisible and I wouldn't worry too much.

Metallic paints are much more difficult because the shade is partially determined by the way the flakes lay as the paint hardens, so it's hard to match existing paint.

Ferraris and Maseratis are not known for great paint out of the factory.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ferrari do hand paint some of the cars. My GranTurismo is Grigio Touring and hand painted at the Ferrari factory. Overall it's a good job but you can spot some small flaws. I just picked up a brand new F430 Spider last Friday which is finished in special order Bianco Fuji which was a £10k option. The finish on it is far from perfect. In fact the overall build quality isn't too impressive and is positively poor next to the Gallardo Spyder I had before it. It seems German leadership at Lamborghini has paid massive divindends in terms of quality of finish. My GT is much better than my F430 in this regard so Ferrari need to raise their game.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Same situation with my car. A guy in an suv dented the bumper and ended up chipping
the paint on the rear panel around the brake lights. Cost over 17k to repaint from the
roof back. Body shop and dealership said the touch up/less expensive route would
last a few years then need to be redone.

Having it done right would depend on what they have to do and the exact location of the damage..
how minor is the dent, did the paint chip etc. When they remove the rear and back windshields,
they generally break.

The circumstances you mention wouldnt keep me from buying your car but I would adjust
the offer accordingly. With regards to the Ferrari, I find it interesting that they are touched up
all the time. There is a pretty big chorus over on the F board that dont want anything to do
with "storied" cars or lowball the offers for these cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts