Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is Corner Weighting vs. Alignment only?

I got the FD springs installed, now it's time to do the alignment. The normal one is $125 and to add Corner Weighting is an extra $300...

Is the difference noticeable on daily use, or it's just for track?

·
Registered
793 Posts
They are two separate things.

Alignment is always critical to handling and tire wear. With new springs going in you definitely should have a 4 wheel alignment done.

Corner balancing is all about weight per corner. It can help but I don't think it's as critical as alignment.

Its purpose is to attempt to equally balance the vehicle's load on all 4 corners.

Not a bad thing to do but secondary to a proper and qualified alignment.

Jeff at FD would be the one to properly address this.

·
Registered
744 Posts
They are two separate things.

Alignment is always critical to handling and tire wear. With new springs going in you definitely should have a 4 wheel alignment done.

Corner balancing is all about weight per corner. It can help but I don't think it's as critical as alignment.

Its purpose is to attempt to equally balance the vehicle's load on all 4 corners.

Not a bad thing to do but secondary to a proper and qualified alignment.

Jeff at FD would be the one to properly address this.
I had both done at the same time plus the springs. I agree with GCalo that the alignment should only affect tracking and vibration (e.g. eliminate it) so is not really a handling improvement per se.

The biggest difference between stock and a full F/R 50/50 weight balance is faster turn in and reduction of understeer - some of this may be due to the springs but the car is way quicker and more responsive after the combined changes - no resemblance whatsover to stock. This change was amplified (believe it or not) when the sway bars were changed. I cannot believe how fast the car now responds to inputs - the OEM set up honestly felt like a tractor by comparison.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would I have to get the car aligned/corner weighted again after I get the sway bars installed?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Would I have to get the car aligned/corner weighted again after I get the sway bars installed?
No. I had the sway bars installed after the springs/ corner weighting and I am completely happy with the result. No adjustmenst (alignment or otherwise were required).

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question, can I do the corner weighting after the alignment, or it has to be done at the same time?

·
Registered
793 Posts
---This change was amplified (believe it or not) when the sway bars were changed. I cannot believe how fast the car now responds to inputs - the OEM set up honestly felt like a tractor by comparison.
Sway bars affect considerable handling qualities.

Probably most noteable is the reduction of body sway

The 360's are incredible in terms of but Novitec offers swaybars that a few owners have used and they have reported fantastic results.

So springs and sway bars will definitely affect a vehicle's performance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends on what dimension the car lives in...

Niteroi, Life is nothing more than a looong series of compromises.
This being your most recent, scaling (weighing on scales) then setting the corner weight balance and aligning are two seperate animals.
Adjusting the center of gravity for the car by loading or unloading the spring pressure at each corner is the only real way on a street driven car to balance the weight distribution. This will affect the ride height signifigantly. On a race car you can add or remove ballast weights AND load or unload spring pressure to achieve proper corner balance, with the lowest allowable ride height. You compromise the ride height for corner balance.
You have a front engine car, so to get front to rear weight distribution even, the rear of the car will squat lower to move the center of gravity aft OR raise the front to move COG aft for balance. I will not even get into the torque effect of the drivetrain and how it affects weight distribution in a dynamic state.
Another factor is what you have in the trunk, how many people generally ride with you, fuel level and any other added weight which will drastically skew the center of gravity.
Aligning the car with the proper amount of ballast in the car and a full fuel tank will set the three alignment angles for proper street use, neutral handling characteristics and optimal tire wear.
In my opinion, the most important thing to do after the springs are installed is to set the ride height at a practical level and THEN perform a proper four wheel thrust alignment.
See my NEW thread on FD spring install for more details.
Hope this helps to clarify some of this issue.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Everyone here has provided excellent input. My short answer is that you need to have a quality alignment and wheel balance performed by someone who's going to spend the time to have it come out right. This is critical.

Corner weighting is not necessary but is beneficial for optimum performance. If you don't mind spending the money, it's worth it. If you don't have it to spend, then pass for now. It's not a must have but a nice to have.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys for all the input. The car's being aligned right now, and I'll do the corner weight at some point in the future. I can't justify spending more money in the car at this moment.

Thank you all, again!

PS- Jeff, I received the new DBW + ECM but haven't installed them yet. I'll keep you posted. Thank you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Corner weighting is not necessary but is beneficial for optimum performance. If you don't mind spending the money, it's worth it. If you don't have it to spend, then pass for now. It's not a must have but a nice to have.---
Well stated and makes very good sense.

I was sure Jeff would chime in here.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This might be a stupid question...

Does changing to FD springs make the suspension travel shorter?

Sometimes when I'm going up on a sidewalk ramp sideways(to avoid hitting the front or bottom) the car loses traction, like one wheel is not touching the ground...

Also, when coming off of a dip it feels like the car stretches the whole suspension. Do you know what I'm talking about?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Have you been running the springs for a while? They do need about 100 miles to get in sync with the skyhook system.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Does changing to FD springs make the suspension travel shorter?

Sometimes when I'm going up on a sidewalk ramp sideways(to avoid hitting the front or bottom) the car loses traction, like one wheel is not touching the ground...

Also, when coming off of a dip it feels like the car stretches the whole suspension. Do you know what I'm talking about?
They do not restrict the travel. However you will need more force to compress them the same distance. I haven't heard of anyone loosing traction or lifting a wheel. I certainly have not experienced that. You may want to double check the installation to be sure nothing is binding.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They do not restrict the travel. However you will need more force to compress them the same distance. I haven't heard of anyone loosing traction or lifting a wheel. I certainly have not experienced that. You may want to double check the installation to be sure nothing is binding.

I'll have to check that, because everytime I go up on a steeper sidewalk incline something weird happens, it does feel like loosing traction...

·
Registered
491 Posts
weight transfer and corner weight can be a long debate by itself :) nothing is absolute. There are advantages for front weight bias, so as rear weight bias, and it is kinda up to the driver.

However, a car handles more in sync with human (easier to drive, at least to most of us.) when it's neutral, and that usually comes with 50/50 of F/R and L/R weight distribution.

On the track, it also means the tire wear is more even and can help tires to last longer

These are things the racers do to bring out the last bit of performance from the car. Like most pointed out, it's nice to have.

Remember the 20/80 rule :)

Correct me if I am wrong, I seem to recall that our car, 4200 coupe/spyder/GS, are slightly nose heavy. Does anybody have corner weight measured? What are the readings on a stock non-modified car?

Thanks

Jess

·
Registered
286 Posts
alignment can be a huge tool for performace but at the cost of tire wear. increasing neg camber can increase corner grip but at the cost of inside wear of the tyres when not turning. so yeah everything automobile related is a compromise of sorts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.