Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my '05 GS, the coolant doesn't get very warm, maybe near 160 degrees, normal driving, in hot or cold weather.

Now that it's getting cold here, I note that the heater takes what seems like a long time to get warm, perhaps due to the above situation. If this was an old American car, I'd say that the thermostat was stuck open.

Is this typical of these cars?

BTW, the oil pressure is always pegged high when much above idle RPMs, even when oil is thoroughly warm. Typical?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
With my '05 GS, the coolant doesn't get very warm, maybe near 160 degrees, normal driving, in hot or cold weather.

Now that it's getting cold here, I note that the heater takes what seems like a long time to get warm, perhaps due to the above situation. If this was an old American car, I'd say that the thermostat was stuck open.

Is this typical of these cars?

BTW, the oil pressure is always pegged high when much above idle RPMs, even when oil is thoroughly warm. Typical?
Oil pressure situation = normal
Temperature situation = not normal

Should be up around 195 most of the time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My '02 Coupe GT also fails to warm up all the way except when I'm stopped at idle or in slow traffic for an extended period. It wasn't always like this. I'm thinking about replacing the thermostat. Looking at the listing on Eurospares, it looks like the thermostat is one piece with the outlet "neck" on the front of the waterpump. I'll be interested to see other responses here.

My oil pressure behaves the same as yours and I believe it is normal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey

Ya just took my GS to the dealer to store for the winter. It took awhile to warm up. But It has alot to do with air flow going into the engine to cool it the colder the air the cooler the air going in chills the motor. Think about it this way 90d outside and the car is cool but if in triafic it will warm up to high levels. But in the winter the air is say 30d and the flow is the same so it will keep the motor much colder then in the summer.

Case in point we took my friends Challenge strade out this past spring. It was 30 out the fucking heat does not come up at all so here we are in this $$$ car freezing our asses off.. What the dealer said was to cover one of the air vents in the front of the car and it will warm up!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
'06 GS and oil pressure is always pegged...

·
Banned
5 Posts
Temperature - Running Cold

The normal operating temperature of the engine is 195 degrees Fahrenheit. If your engine is running cold and taking awhile to warm up I agree with your suspicion that your thermostat is stuck open or opening prematurely. If you like DIY, a thermostat that is stuck open can usually be confirmed visually. Additionally, the operation of thermostat can be checked by removing it from the car and putting it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer. As the water heats up you will be able to see at what temperature the thermostat begins to open. Since thermostats are cheap, I would just replace it while you have everything apart. A new thermostat and gasket are available from Eurospares and the link is provided below.

If I missed something, add it to the Wiki

Eurospares part

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm with you on the thermostat. I have a concurrent issue with the fan running pretty much all the time. Cold start, warmed up, after a run at speed, in line at the drive-in.... the fan is crankin'. It makes no difference if I shut down the A/C compressor with the "Econ" button. Is the fan supposed to run all the time? I don't think it used to. Maybe I only paid attention since it stopped warming up all the way. Maybe I have a bad temp sensor in the fan circuit rather than a bad thermostat. Maybe it's both.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I forgot to mention about the fan being stuck on. That could also be part of the problem. Just keep in mind that the coolant thermostat has basically has a mechanical feedback loop to keep it at 195. With the fan stuck on the thermostat should just stay closed causing the block to warm up to operating temperature. You could always check the fan issue by unplugging it and starting the car and going for a little drive to keep air flowing across the radiator. If it stays cold it is the thermostat, if hits operating temp it is your fan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts