Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Spyder GT. I made the mistake of partially opening the top in order to clean the rear window. The top stopped working! I checked the owner's manual (which I should have done beforehand as it warns about partial top opening/closing operation) and managed to manually lock the top in the closed position, however the top will no longer open automatically. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Is this a problem that should be referred to the dealer? Any sense of what may be wrong, how to correct, or th costs involved? Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts

:confused:
I have a 2002 Spyder GT. I made the mistake of partially opening the top in order to clean the rear window. The top stopped working! I checked the owner's manual (which I should have done beforehand as it warns about partial top opening/closing operation) and managed to manually lock the top in the closed position, however the top will no longer open automatically. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Is this a problem that should be referred to the dealer? Any sense of what may be wrong, how to correct, or th costs involved? Thanks.
TRY DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY & THEN RECONNECT, MIGHT RESET??...GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
246 Posts
I do this all the time when I have the car washed. I raise the rear section of the roof so they can clean the deck and the inside of the rear window. I have never had a problem.
Now, I have had problems at times with the top not working. I have never come up with a repeatable fix, since it happens rarely, but here are the things I have done:
- In the glove box behind and between the seats there are two buttons that have to do with manually operating the roof. Sometimes fiddling with those has gotten the top working again. The hardest part is getting the cover over the buttons to snap off!!!
- Behind the drivers seat there is a rubber plug with a metal plate behind it. Often just giving this plate a strong 'tap', with a hammer and long screwdriver, has gotten things working again. This has seemed to work most times.

As I said, however, my top has this problem maybe once or twice a year, and I haven't been able to come up with a simple, repeatable set of steps yet. Mine is also an 03, so there may be some differences between mine and yours besides the glass rear window.
Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you leave the back open, did you ever raise the part of the roof which contains the rear window further than it has opened? Did you ever speak with the dealer about the problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks to MikeA

While detailing my 05 Spyder yesterday, the top stuck partially open. The young man detailing my car was, shall we say, concerned. I determined that the electric buttons for the windows, trunk release, etc had also locked out. My initial thought was to try a battery reset, but then remembered this thread. Pulled up MikeA's recommnedations about the buttons in the glove box behind the seats. His suggestion to toggle the buttons worked on the second or third try.

Thanks MikeA.

Car looked fabulous after detailing. Then it $%#@@ rained laten this afternoon.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You are welcome, I guess. It seems that you did the quasi-random process of pushing the buttons a few times, and then things worked again. I'd just like to take the quasi-randomness out of the 'fix'. If it happens again, and you find that a specific sequence of button pushing works again, please post the result.
Glad you got things working, though.
Mike

While detailing my 05 Spyder yesterday, the top stuck partially open. The young man detailing my car was, shall we say, concerned. I determined that the electric buttons for the windows, trunk release, etc had also locked out. My initial thought was to try a battery reset, but then remembered this thread. Pulled up MikeA's recommnedations about the buttons in the glove box behind the seats. His suggestion to toggle the buttons worked on the second or third try.

Thanks MikeA.

Car looked fabulous after detailing. Then it $%#@@ rained laten this afternoon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2002 spyder that we just purchased and the top will not open the idiot light in the instrument cluster flashes what appears to be codes 32 or 34 .
Had the battery out to recharge and the top still won't move.Tried the switches in glove box ,no help.
Does anyone know any published diagnostics on this issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
The next thing I'd try is carefully following the owner manual procedure to manually put the top all the way down. You might be able to get it to re-sync.

·
Registered
43 Posts
same issue here. I lowered the top fine. i went to put the top back up and it was stuck. so i followed the manual and was able to manualy put the top back up but now my windows wont go up and the top just doesnt move. Any other ideas before i drive 5hrs to have it serviced?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
have you tried the battery reset procedure yet? Turn the knob on your battery terminal to briefly reset your system....many times it will clear electrical glitches - kind of like 're-booting' your car. Had it happen to me as well as many others here. Read the manual on the proper steps first & that may be all you need.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Some years ago I had similar issues with a brand new 2005 Spyder. What I found out is the best way to prevent roof problems, 1) always have the engine on when opening and closing the roof and 2) do NOT let go of the switch, keep it pressed down until the opening or closing of the roof has been competed. Do NOT stop half way through!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
43 Posts
thank you for the help. i tried the battery reset. i was able to get the windows to go up for second then they would go right back down again. ohwell. dealer here i come, and money there you go. lol

·
Registered
722 Posts
Putting the top halfway down to clean the rear window seemed like a great idea to me too, until the top got confused. My wife bought one of those windshield-inside-cleaning-pads-on-a-stick; I'll try that next. It did work well on the windshield interior, particularly around the instrument pod where your hand jams.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i emailed the dealer last night to see if maybe they would just tell me a solution to avoid driving 5hrs to get it fixed. no word yet. i kind of doubt i will get an answer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
here is all i was able to find out. the tech said that the most common thing is people forget to close the valve behind the passenger seat after they manually put the top up. In my case i didnt forget. I am scheduling a time to have it looked at. this sucks. 5hr drive and i am going to be dishing out some cash. ohwell off to a good 5 days of ownership. lol

when i find out what they did to fix it i will let you know.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have had similarly problems and done the rear button thing but make sure that your parking brake is engaged. The top will NOT function unless it sees the parking brake on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the brake light is on in the dash. ive tried releasing the break then putting it back on. The odd part to me is after i do the battery cut off trick, i can get the windows to role back up, but only for a minute then they role back down. its very odd to me. I have come to the conclusion that i am just going to have to pay to get it fixed. At least maybe we can get some knowledge as to the problem. If we have a good answer and it helps someone else out i will be happy to take donations. lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you tried putting the top all the way down, put both seat forward release top latch, loosen screw back of pass seat, once you put the top all the way down with a flat head screw driver in the back of the driver seat about an inch from the nut strike with the screw driver with the palm of your hand this manually release the latching mechanism once you release the latch mechanism and put top all the way down you can start the cycle of the top, let me know if this works :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts