Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out my roof is beyond repair due to a malfuntion

the dealer is sending the info to Corporate to get an OK, the cost for the roof is a whopping $30,000!

take care of those babies!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you have any warnigs before the top was toast?

I opted for the coupe with the manuel for durability and logevity. I would not like a $30000 repair on my hands.

Good luck with corporate. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
681 Posts
There's a kid in Texas his top quit working. Doesn't really matter since he totalled the car but if this problem ever happens outside of warranty you can allways find a wrecked Maserati to buy spare parts off at ALOT less than $30k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've heard of a few top problems related to the hydraulics or the electrical contacts. What was the underlying malfunction? Was there anything preventative that would have helped, such that everyone else should be doing?

$30k really surprises me, and worries me...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told by my dealer, the roofs are a known issue. I had offered to give my side of how it occured, but they didn't need my information

My top will often not slow down when closing so that on the last momment before it hits the windsheild frame, it will slam onto the frame.

When it broke, I was on level ground, stopped and trying to open the roof. The roof was at about its mid-point and the roof lid did not open and the whole top was just suspended in mid-cycle. I was facing forward not looking at the roof, and in a second or two, the roof began reversing or closing and the top lid cover may have openned and caught part of the roof, then I heard some snaps (metal) and the roof got pushed to the right of the car lodging into the right roll bar.

I really don't think there is anything that could have prevented this. I suppose you could watch the roof as it goes through its motions (kinda of hard as one tends to be facing forward, pushing that roof button). I know in the future I am going to be eagle eying that thing whenever I open or close it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear God! Just that description hurts.

When closing, I've always caught the the roof with my hand so that the top never hits the frame, but I agree that there doesn't appear to be anything different to do about the opening cycle.

Good luck with the new top and thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dez

the roof is not supposed to slam where you have to put your hand to catch it. Mine did before the replacement, now it slows and drops ever so gently to the windsheild frame.

You may want to have your dealer look yours over before disaster happens.

·
Registered
240 Posts
can someone explain more about the top on a spyder?

1. is it complete hands free such as a BMW where it just goes up and down and when it closes on its own
2. is like a Mustang when it is about to close you need to shut it manually with clips on each side?

how could the top cost that much to fix? If that happend to me I would just trade the S.O.B. right then and their. $30,000! doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's hands free. I do put my hand up ready to break the momentum as it closes to avoid the slamming mentioned below.

I've had mine get stuck halfway open and had to use the emergency closing procedure outlined in the manual (don't keep your manual with the toolkit in the trunk because if your roof gets stuck you can't open the trunklid)

I don't know what the fix would have cost as it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dealer told me cost was $18K

When I had the top replaced on my 2002 Spyder, it was done under warranty, but the dealer (Wide World of Cars in Nyack, NY) told me they would have charged $18K for the repair - nowhere near $30K! Not that $18K is much better....

·
Registered
240 Posts
drewgroel said:
When I had the top replaced on my 2002 Spyder, it was done under warranty, but the dealer (Wide World of Cars in Nyack, NY) told me they would have charged $18K for the repair - nowhere near $30K! Not that $18K is much better....
still $18,000 is still not right. fixing a top on a BMW 6 series is about $2000 and I cannot think it would be that much more for a Jaguar XJ series. and I doubt it is that that much different. Yes I know it is a maserati but those prices are not even sane.

1.So when the top is about to shut, reach up and put your hand up to help break the forward speed?

2. if the top is stuck you can shut it manually, just keep the tools and manual in the car, as if the top is in the shutting process you cannot access the trunk?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
Alex
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing