Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Maserati Quattroporte
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to put new bushings in my 07 QP, but do not see how to get the old ones out as you all know they are not like other cars. I tried searches both here and on other web/search engines with no luck. Reason for doing them is one on the upper driver side looks questionable to me. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
589 Posts
Been there...done that... :-(

You will need to destroy the old bushings to get them out - while being careful not to mess up the soft aluminum control arm. I carefully used a hammer and an old flat-blade screwdriver and tapped the outer casing of the bushing inwards, then I was able to grab with vice grips and pry it out. It takes a bit of work but it's not too bad of a job - just be careful not to dent, ding, or gall up the control arm.

Before you remove the old bushings, take note their orientation in the control arm. There is an inner wedge in the center rubber portion of the bushing that should be pointing horizontally towards the outside of the car (when the car is resting on the ground) - hope this makes sense. When you install the new bushings make sure they are in the same orientation.

DO NOT.....REPEAT.....DO NOT....torque up the Control Arm Pivot Bolts with the suspension hanging. Leave them loose, then duplicate the suspension position as if the car is resting on the ground. Either jack up the suspension, or set the car down on the ground, then torque up the Pivot Bolts. If it's not done this way the bushings will fail prematurely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12 cylinders, thanks for the reply, The way you mentioned on getting them out is what I thought only with using a small chisel. I knew about putting the vehicle down before torqueing, I believe that is common to all vehicles. And when I was taught , what we called auto mechanics back in the day, when changing one do them all because sooner or later they will need. and of course being a Disabled Veteran, winter time, and this pandemic, doing them on my own should keep me (hopefully) from going crazy 😅😂🤣🤪

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hello Daverb46....yes changing out the bushings should be good therapy :) . Regarding having the suspension in the "at rest" position before final torque, I've heard it's fairly common that this step is not performed. Mechanical Common Sense is becoming more and more rare now days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Daverb46....yes changing out the bushings should be good therapy :) . Regarding having the suspension in the "at rest" position before final torque, I've heard it's fairly common that this step is not performed. Mechanical Common Sense is becoming more and more rare now days.
hello 12 cylinders,,,,done your screw driver trick and will say worked like a charm, except for the tip of the screwdriver LOL. Thanks again for the help, after I got some room I used a small chisel and BAM!! out came. sure glad you read my initial request as IK have done many other bushings but never the likes of these.

Thanks Alot
Daave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts