Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an invitation to the Paris Motor Show from Maserati. and it said:

"We have the pleasure of inviting you to the Paris Motor Show, to be held between 30th September and 15th October.

In order to underline the success enjoyed by the GranSport, the maximum expression of the coupé concept designed by Giugiaro, Maserati will unveil a new ''Contemporary Classic'' version in a world premiere."

Does anyone have any inside scopp on what this car will be , look like, colors, special interiors"

I thought the marketing department of maserati is already trying to squezze as many sales from the Gransport body style as possible with the introduction of the MC12 Victory edition, but also a Contemporary Classic??

Anyone with info please post.....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hopefully it's the new QP based Coupe. I think the last rumor I heard said look for it at the Paris show, of course it's also supposed to be a Pininfarina design, like the QP so describing it as "the maximum expression of the coupé concept designed by Giugiaro" doesn't fit. If it's just another warmed over marketing exercise for the Coupe/Spyder it's a very bad sign.

At this point I think Bill Ford has a better idea of "the way forward" than does Maserati management :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
From what the Maserati North America Rep. told me, we won't see the Coupe replacement until Geneva, 2007 as a 2008 model.

Additionally, he said that the GS won't be available in the US for 2007, though it will continue to be produced for other markets. Who knows if this Contemporary Classic version will see the US or not....

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't doubt that's what the rep told you but does it make any sense in any conceivable fashion? How do you get to sales of 10,000 units without selling in the US?

It's really distressing to see Maserati fritter away all the good press/good will garnered through the 4200 and Quattroporte relaunch by fumbling the evolution of the Coupe/Spyder.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got the same email, and to me there is something very fishy
...first they suspend all factory tours, then they announce the unveiling of a "Contemporary Classic" in Paris and shot invitations
...I don't think they are doing all this for a GS with the vintage option package...
soooo... could this be "it"?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
this is very intruiging...
contemporary classic... another "CC"...

and we were complaining they were trying to squeeze the last bit out of the coupe.

"maximum expression of the coupé concept designed by Giugiaro,"... interesting. that certainly does not sound like anything to do with the new coupe by pininfarina.

btw, who is the chief designer now at maserati??? i like the Frank Stephenson's GS expression.!

does anyone remember the maximum expression of the spyder?
320S ! http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/maser09.htm
that was pure guigiaro to introduce the spyder.

wonder what this maximum expression... i was hoping they get a "GT3" like iteration to the current GS (stripe down, 'SuperSport').... more over a "Contemporary Classic". may be they have something to challenge the AM V8 Vantage's design. (For me, the Aston Martin DB9 and V8 Vantage is a good example of the contemporary classic).

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wonder if they're just yanking our chain and are going to intro the Alfa 8C - Giugiaro Design and Maserati engine...

·
Registered
530 Posts
crap, "exterior design enhancements and *gasp* new upholstery"

these guys are in trouble - the switch from Ferrari to Alfa seems to have drained any momentum or spark out of the company and left them dead in the water.

·
Registered
530 Posts
and when I follow that link, what turns up in the Google ads section but this!

If this stagnation continues we may well be comparing Maserati to the Phaeton.

·
Registered
660 Posts
WTF?

Someone call Ferrari... NOW..! Elloooo? I bet the Ferrari-era-made Masers will be HIGHLY appreciated in the years to come...

Bummer... saw it and thought it was a joke.

Oh well... is this one the result of "market-driven" forces? Whoever is doing marketing analytics for these people have f**ked-it big time. "Maximum expression"? So there is nothing more left for the Giugiaro-based design? You've got to be kidding.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
drevil said:
i doubt that left lane news really knows what they are talking about. even that picture does not have any exterior design enhancements that they claim.

Steeldream said:
crap, "exterior design enhancements and *gasp* new upholstery"

these guys are in trouble - the switch from Ferrari to Alfa seems to have drained any momentum or spark out of the company and left them dead in the water.
again, maserati was under Ferrari but it is not under Alfa.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
ok. this seems like it is the Horror....
indeed those photos seem to be true.
the Contemporary Classic is another saline drip to squeeze the last bit out of the line.

honestly the 90th and MCV are already the best iteration of the spyder and coupe.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cf...erati-gransport-contemporary-classic-at-paris

Maserati GranSport “Contemporary Classic”

As a tribute to the enormous success enjoyed by the GranSport, the maximum expression of the coupé concept designed by Giugiaro, Maserati unveils at the Paris Motorshow, the new “Contemporary Classic” equipment.
The name “Contemporary Classic” is inspired by the car’s style, an icon for Italian design which has become an instant classic. It combines excellent dynamic handling with top level comfort.
Interior

Elegance matched with sportiness is the key to the Maserati GranSport success: today, with the “Contemporary Classic” equipment, a full leather interior with stylish piping surrounding seats and dashboard is combined with other chic touches, such as light blue instruments with a vintage look and a full leather steering wheel.
Four selections of exterior and interior colours are available for the GranSport Contemporary Classic.

Exterior Leather Piping
White Cuoio White
Black Cuoio Black
Green Cuoio Green
Red Black Red

·
Registered
530 Posts
M,

tho I really didn't say "under" when I posted "switch from Ferrari to Alfa" I agree that under does not correctly define Maserati's position vis-a-vis Alfa.

I suggest instead: "Maserati finds itself on hands and knees, pants around its ankles whilst Alfa biotch-slaps its bare ass, and Aston Martin, Audi, and BMW wait their turn."

whatcha think? :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Steeldream said:
M,

tho I really didn't say "under" when I posted "switch from Ferrari to Alfa" I agree that under does not correctly define Maserati's position vis-a-vis Alfa.

I suggest instead: "Maserati finds itself on hands and knees, pants around its ankles whilst Alfa biotch-slaps its bare ass, and Aston Martin, Audi, and BMW wait their turn."

whatcha think? :D
what are you talking about??
you mean maserati or you?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Kalbfell out

Karl-Heinz Kalbfell is out at Maserati. The automaker’s parent company, Fiat, announced today that Roberto Ronchi will take Kalbfell’s place as CEO of the Italian exotic.

Looks like we're not the only people disappointed in the direction @ Maserati.

·
Registered
530 Posts
and what might that be?

What I see from here is a company in disarray. They had a hardtop spyder ready to launch last year and killed it. No new development on the coupe. Band aid, marketing excercise, runout specials on the coupe and spyder and shipping any new developments out the back door to Alfa for the 8C.

I think Kalbfell saw the writing on the wall and bailed. It seems as if Fiat has decided they can't do what the wanted with Maserati - make it a high quality, volume (10,000+units) manufacturer and have decided to continue development of the QP (and a QP derived coupe) and concentrate on relaunching Alfa in the US.

Ronchi's CV includes fleet sales and network development - the perfect baby sitter to maximize return on sunk development dollars without agitating for innovation.

I hope you're right Mark but it's hard to see a silver lining.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The hardtop spyder was rumor level, there was never a car shown at autoshows, etc, so its pretty hard to say it was ready to launch.

Just because we haven't seen official company info on the new Coupe development doesn't mean it isn't there. Now granted MNA could be feeding us bologna when they tell us they've seen it, and it looks awesome, etc. But, I do believe they have a new coupe almost ready for production.

Seeing Bentley has gone from under 1000 units in 2003 to 10,000 this year, which is their stated production\sales maximum target, I should think under the right management Maserati can do the same.

The certified pre-owned program is getting close (really), and there are a few more things coming soon. The CEO leaving any company is a pretty big speed bump, but there's no reason to interpret another speed bump as a dead end turn. (Not that we haven't withstood our fair share of speed bumps at this point..)

The show\dealer meeting is going on in Paris right now, and I hope to have some good news to report afterwards.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just got the Spyder back from having all the "going out of warranty" fixes done, and Kevin @ FMSF mentioned he thought they were close to announcing the extended warranty program too.

Maybe there will be some good news coming out of Paris - Bentley certainly shows it can be done but the operative phrase is "with the right management". I just don't get the sense that Fiat has the clarity of thought or commitment about what to do with the marque.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts