Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I have the good fortune in life of being a prospective 2018 Granturismo owner. I'm coming off a 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio, which was very tragically declared a total-loss back in December 2021. Working from home in the city, and with occasional work trips or short vacations abroad these past 11 months keeping me busy, I haven't needed a car and actually became quite well-adjusted to being a pedestrian. But a trip to Italy last month has reminded me life is too short to not chase la dolce vita and find moments of enjoyment in daily life... and my heart has missed the joys of driving an Italian masterpiece on weekends!

After test-driving a 2018 Granturismo Coupe at my local dealer, I have some questions on which I'm hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom of this wonderful forum community.

1) Has anyone had to replace this small plastic frame surrounding the hazard button, on the lower console? See photo below. The local dealer is quoting a repair bill of $3,500. Turns out that black plastic piece cannot be installed separately through OEM parts, because it is integrated into the larger center console. The factory-option for replacing it entails an entire replacement console frame, which is made-to-order and would also be a long wait. That absurd 3.5k sticker price aside - I think it's a terrible material resource waste to throw away an otherwise perfectly functional console frame just to repair this small piece of plastic molding.

Curious if others have encountered this before? And any crafty, DIY yourself solutions you devised?

2) Does the color of the wrench symbol have any meaning, on a MY 2018? A yellow wrench persisted throughout the test drive. Reading older forum posts, I gather Green means that it is due for a regular service... but those were on threads for the pre-2018 face lift models. I'm eager to learn whether the wrench color is significant, or if the wrench is mono-color on a 2018 and always yellow when it's on?

3) Maybe related to the #2 - should activating the Sport Mode be as easy as tapping the Sport button? During the test drive, I couldn't get the mode selector to move off ICE. I tried holding down the Sport button, holding down ICE button (in case I needed to de-activate that specific mode?), and neither made a difference and ICE mode persisted.

On the Alfa Quadrifoglio, there's a semi-special operation for activating Race mode that requires combing a twist and holding the drive mode selection in position for several seconds.... but on the Granturismo, I thought it should be as simple as just hitting the Sport mode button (?), based on videos I watched. This wasn't a Maserati dealer, so the sales person accompanying me on the test drive didn't know how to get it off ICE mode.

4) This car was originally from Upstate New York. Is it important to get an PPI to check for rust in the undercarriage? Or is rust not really a concern with recent Granturismo model years?

Mille grazie!

Vehicle Gear shift Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
5,596 Posts
Sounds like there is a better car out there:
Sport should just involve pressing the sport button. (although it may be different on the 18, it seems unlikely)
Yellow wrench I suspect means service is due now
If they use salt in NY (and probably if they don't) yes get the front sub frame checked.

Finally what is that thing to the right of the shifter? That does not look factory

C

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,910 Posts
Pure speculation here, but the Ice mode alert may show up as a result of a failing ambient temp sensor ( which I understand is located at the drivers side view mirror casing…not sure ) , and pushing the Ice button won’t change anything. I had the Ice alert appear a couple of times in 95 + degree temps, and lasted for the entire 15 minute drive home, no matter how many times I pushed the Ice button thinking I can deactivate it.
Secondly, the Ice mode probably communicates with the ECU, and does not allow the car to engage in Sport mode, which might explain that button not responding . I read that with the Ice on , the ECU prevents you taking off in first gear in auto mode , and starts in second gear , so it may be also inhibiting the ability to use Sport mode. Again, just speculation but Italian electronics glitches need no logic, rhyme or reason sometimes to act up ..

·
Registered
985 Posts
Is the car being sold by a dealership? If so, tell them to make all of the necessary repairs and if they refuse, walk away. If it's being sold by an individual, walk away. There are a lot of GTs for sale so it makes a solutely no sense to purchase one that's in need of repairs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ICE mode here means the car is always taking off in 2nd gear. Not shifting down to 1st when you stop. You should feel that when you take off from a traffic light. If everything is okay, it switches on and off by the push on the button. Just like sport mode. Something is very wrong here if they can’t be activated or deactivated by the push on the button.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
766 Posts
Finally what is that thing to the right of the shifter? That does not look factory

C
Must be for the infotainment center...I see it on all the 2018's...

Reactions: Catmanv2

·
Super Moderator
5,596 Posts
Pure speculation here,
Thank you for the inputs. I'll have to take a closer look on a 2nd test drive this weekend.

Appreciate the insight on the car's ability to self-activate ICE mode. Neat!
I am absolutely sure the car cannot self select ICE mode.

Certainly the older models can't and don't

C

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,910 Posts
Right, not as a self-activation of the buttons, but if the outside temp sensor is messed up, or, some other electronic gremlin is in play, ( when it’s not cold enough to trigger that mode ) I’m suggesting at least the alert snowflake icon could light up, and that may ( may..might..could.. :oops: ) impact other functions. It didn’t affect my car‘s driving when it did that, sport mode was fine, full acceleration was no problem, but just brought it up as a possibility ..

And to coin a C-man phrase , I reserve the right to be totally wrong :D:cool:

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
766 Posts
Interesting. Very poor finish around the console, it seems?

C
Agreed...everything around it has nice round/soft corners, then they stuck this right-angled thing in (think it would look much nicer with rounded corners) ...+ fit and finish is horrible too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm very grateful for everyone's inputs. Have already learned much!

Hope I'm not committing a faux pas by sharing a dealer's URL, but here's the current listing: Pre-Owned 2018 Maserati GranTurismo in Fremont, CA - Lexus of Fremont (lexusfremont.com)

Interesting that missing plastic black trim was still installed, in those dealer's initial photos. Albeit already exhibiting problems as the left door lock button appears sunken in. Guess someone broke off the panel while investigating it.

It's so achingly beautiful, I'm still tempted to go back for a 2nd test drive and check if I can't somehow wiggle it out of the ICE mode. There were no Snow Flake signs. But thank you DSGT for teaching me that's something to look for.

I'm fortunate there are a couple of independents nearby who are willing to do a PPI, at $600. The nearest Maserati dealer quoted $800. Will keep this thread updated, if I end up having any luck with the 2nd test drive this weekend to the point where I might go as far as paying out of pocket for a PPI next week.

·
Super Moderator
5,596 Posts
Right, not as a self-activation of the buttons, but if the outside temp sensor is messed up, or, some other electronic gremlin is in play, ( when it’s not cold enough to trigger that mode ) I’m suggesting at least the alert snowflake icon could light up, and that may ( may..might..could.. :oops: ) impact other functions. It didn’t affect my car‘s driving when it did that, sport mode was fine, full acceleration was no problem, but just brought it up as a possibility ..

And to coin a C-man phrase , I reserve the right to be totally wrong :D:cool:
The only things that I am aware of regarding the exterior temperature is the A/C. There has been some discussion about engine mapping, but AFAIK there's a totally different method of determining intake air temp.

C

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,910 Posts
@Alfista88, sorry..I misunderstood the original post and thought the Ice ( snowflake ) icon was on / lit up , and that’s what could not be de-activated by pushing that button, as well as the Sport button issue..
In terms of PPIs by independent mechanics ( considering the location of the car being in Fremont ) was one of the shops you contacted Taormina Imports in San Carlos ? If it wasn’t, I would highly recommend them. The shop is packed with classic as well as new Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, Aston Martins, and just about everything else exotic . Mostly Ferraris, and Cobras ( Ted Taormina , the owner’s other passion ..next to Ferraris ) but they’ll work on just about anything unique and treat it with utmost care . They serviced my car from the day I purchased it until I recently moved to SoCal, and I can’t say enough good things about them ; knowledge , experience, competence, honesty, integrity, and even though their hourly charge is $ 220 ( as of the last time I was there about four months ago ), the cost of any given job is consistently 20% to as much as 50% sometimes below dealer’s quotes, because they don’t pad the hours ..also, they won’t try to upsell anything you really don’t need, as many dealers will.. so I expect a PPI by them is going to be as straight forward as you can get in the area. And it’s not too long of a trek across the bay from Fremont ..
The only challenge is that they’re super busy, in spite of being a large shop , and it may not be easy to get in quickly ..but definitely worth a call to check it out, if you haven’t spoken to them already .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Incredible testimonial, thank you Dan. I'm proud to say that Taormina was one of the shops I called earlier this week. They offered the PPI for $585 (3 hours x $195 /hr). Plus, I can't top the convenience of their location, being a short hop over from the Dumbarton bridge.

If my 2nd test drive goes well this weekend, I'll proceed with trying to get a PPI scheduled in for next week if they are too busy. And gladly share my experience here, plus some photos of Ted Taomrina's amazing shop.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
4,910 Posts
Good to hear their hourly rate for PPIs is a “little less” than the work rate .. Posting photos would be great, among many other rarities, I’ve taken photos of a La Ferrari being worked on there , a Lamborghini Miura , a Pagani, and hold still ..,a Ferrari GTO ( yes , an original ) - So if anyone trusts Ted with servicing a $50 million car , I certainly can trust him with my lowly Maserati GTS 😉. I certainly don’t want to see his fire insurance premium for having that kind of inventory $$$ in the shop at any point in time….

1 - 18 of 18 Posts