Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 2010 QP Sport-GTS that is absolutely stunning with 29k miles. My current 2013 QP-S is now at 50k miles and has been rock solid. Kelley Blue Book values my car at around $2k more than the 2010. The dealer sent me a video of the GTS and my wife just fell in love with it. It goes against common sense to consider a car that is 3 years older than my current one, but 20,000 fewer miles is also worth considering, and that it's a GTS. I'm seriously thinking about it......

·
Registered
103 Posts
The main reason I upgraded from an 08 to a 2012 (aside from the downright mean looking front concave grille) was so that I wouldn't have to worry about any variator issues or window regulator failures in the future. I'd be a little weary of getting into a 2010 if the variators haven't been replaced yet. But if they have and you and the Mrs. love it, I'd say by all means go for it! Or even better keep the one you have and get a second one..

3,982 Posts
The main reason I upgraded from an 08 to a 2012 (aside from the downright mean looking front concave grille) was so that I wouldn't have to worry about any variator issues or window regulator failures in the future. I'd be a little weary of getting into a 2010 if the variators haven't been replaced yet. But if they have and you and the Mrs. love it, I'd say by all means go for it! Or even better keep the one you have and get a second one..
The window regulators are the same...Now you have something to look forward to dealing with... ;) Jason

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As we all know...the internet can be your friend. I did some searching and found what I believe is a comment posted by the original owner of the 2010 Sport-GTS in question. The owner mentioned that the variators were making noise and the car had decreased performance, and they were upset because Maserati would not do anything to help. This car is currently with it's second owner, and I will inquire about this.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Sorry but no Maserati engine is immune to this. The 4.2 engines with ser #148697 and up have the check valve installed but can still fail. It certainly helped but didn't make them trouble free. There was also a post of a very late model QP5 with low mileage with a failing auto trans, but I certainly wouldn't avoid the car based on that experience.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
To amplify Erik's post above, I acquired a 2012 QP5 GTS not quite 2 years ago. In checking its provenance, the variators were replaced by the prior owner. I made certain that the replacement variators were of the new type. I cannot speak as to the variator version that had failed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's generally believed that cars assembled from October 2010 and later have the variator fix in place. However the only true way to know is by the number stamped on the engine. I wonder if the GTS engines were made in batches, or made as they were ordered? If they were made in batches, it's conceivable that engines in later cars could be an earlier engine number (out of vehicle sequence).

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Variators, phasers, VVT, vanos, whatever you call them, the majority of the variable valve timing systems are prone to failure. Some cars are "genetically" better than others, and updates in the wet-sump Maserati engines brought their reliability a little closer to "average" but not quite. So in conclusion, DO NOT buy a Maserati of any year with fear of failing variators.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
UPDATE 3-13-20:

Well gang....I need to clarify things. In my original post I stated that the 2010 QP-GTS, which is 600 miles away from me, was in "stunning" condition. This was based on a walk-around video and a bunch of pictures I received...it certainly looked great. Yesterday we made the drive from Alabama up to Michigan to visit family. It just so happens this QP-GTS was just a few miles off our route, so I convinced my lovely wife that we should take a look in person - and she agreed (she is so supportive - I don't deserve her). Well the car is beautiful to look at, but it's not as clean as I'd hoped with only 29k miles on the clock. The lower front wire mesh grill is a bit messed up, there is the usual road rash on the rear doors just in front of the rear wheel wells, and there is a thumb nail sized triangular tear in the leather on the right-front door panel. The car had not been started in several days. So I opened the hood, and had my wife start the engine - no variator rattle. Of course I had to hit the sport button just to hear that glorious exhaust note - WOW - WOW - WOW...! That exhaust sound is intoxicating. Oh...and this car did not have the "stickies" on the dash.

My current QP-S with 50k miles is just as clean as the QP-GTS with 29k miles. Never the less...I'm going to give things some serious thought anyway, as I've always lusted after the GTS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts