Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Had the occasion to drive a 360 back to back with the 430 (then our GS).

I know...I know...its a Ferrari etc. I get it. I love Ferraris as well.

Our GS is modded with most of Jeffs amazing...highly recommended...parts.
plus Tubi.

360. No question, our GS felt faster. Was it actually faster...no idea. In the low gears the 360 seemed to lack grunt vs the GS. The 360 had an non OE exhaust. The F1 trans didn't seem to shift any faster than the FD modded F1 in our GS. The 360 did feel lighter and more responsive....more sportscar vs GT.

430. Sound. With the Tubis the GS sounded (to me) the same if not better. The 430s exhaust doesn't sound as good as the 360 (IMO). In Race mode the 430 was waay faster than the 360 or our GS. So much so that...I got a ticket for speeding..first one in 20 Years. (worth it ;0)

Its interesting that the Ferraris and the GS share a ton of interior bits. Switches etc.

I pay around with the idea of getting a Ferrari. The price diff (to me) doesn't seem to be worth it. For example, a nice 02-03 Ferrari 360 coupe goes for $75-90k. A nice 05 430 couple sells for $120+. Vs a well kept clean GS that can be had in the $40s-50s.

Opinions?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
You have not given enough info! Firstly how much do you want to spend on a car? If it is just 0-60 mph you care about buy an old Corvette. if you want to spend say 80 to 100 large and use the car for urban driving, get a 2008/9 Gran Turismo 4.2. The new Maseratis are much better daily driving cars than any Ferrari in my opinion.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi guys,

Had the occasion to drive a 360 back to back with the 430 (then our GS).

I know...I know...its a Ferrari etc. I get it. I love Ferraris as well.

Our GS is modded with most of Jeffs amazing...highly recommended...parts.
plus Tubi.

360. No question, our GS felt faster. Was it actually faster...no idea. In the low gears the 360 seemed to lack grunt vs the GS. The 360 had an non OE exhaust. The F1 trans didn't seem to shift any faster than the FD modded F1 in our GS. The 360 did feel lighter and more responsive....more sportscar vs GT.

430. Sound. With the Tubis the GS sounded (to me) the same if not better. The 430s exhaust doesn't sound as good as the 360 (IMO). In Race mode the 430 was waay faster than the 360 or our GS. So much so that...I got a ticket for speeding..first one in 20 Years. (worth it ;0)

Its interesting that the Ferraris and the GS share a ton of interior bits. Switches etc.

I pay around with the idea of getting a Ferrari. The price diff (to me) doesn't seem to be worth it. For example, a nice 02-03 Ferrari 360 coupe goes for $75-90k. A nice 05 430 couple sells for $120+. Vs a well kept clean GS that can be had in the $40s-50s.

Opinions?
This is EXACTLY the reason why I have my GS....80% performance of F430 but at 40% price. Do the math. It's a no brainer! :thumbsup:

If I were you, I'll keep the GS and pick up a 360 or better yet a F355 (the last of the real Ferrari as they say....)

·
Registered
603 Posts
So how much is in common besides engine?

...Its interesting that the Ferraris and the GS share a ton of interior bits. Switches etc. ...
Recently I was trying to remove my 07 QP steering wheel. To do so, I had to remove the plastic cowls around the steering column. Inside they were stamped "Ferrari". It would be interesting to compile a list of all the Ferrari bits to be found on a modern Maserati. I wonder if anything stamped "Maserati" can be found in a Ferrari!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ticket wasn't anything to brag about....

430..set to race....ran it up to 60 in a 45. That's it.

I actually rarely speed on non-highway public streets....highway....with other cars...different story.

We did drive the GS from SoCal to Pahrump, NV. Drove a back way through the Mojave. No cars for miles...and miles. Had the GS cruising over 100 most of the way. Bliss.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
what about repairs on a ferrair. i was thinking of getting ferrari also. the 348. i was told the 308/328 and the 348 are the easiest ferraris to work on for DIY,S. im trying to find out more info as far as clutch life and changeing it and also electrical like removing dash. if its easier to work on for diy then i will buy one

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 348...spider. Dont get one. They aren't that much fun to drive etc.

328/ 308s should be considered classics. Have driven a 328...slow, old school everything....but, it was a cool car.

Look into a 355...or a 360.

I watch prices daily and the 360s appear to be continuing to lose value. Not at the rate they were. It appears that the 360/ 430s will take a significant hit as the new 458 becomes the next big thing. AND...the 458 is a huge improvement (from what I have read) over the 430...even...maybe...the Scud.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
ok but can u do alot of the work urself on a 355 or 360. for instance do u have to bring it to a dealer or somewhere to have a clutch put in cuz of needing an sd3 computer. im trying to find a car where i can do most if not all of the work myself instead of having to depend on someone having to hook up a pc to fix it or make adjustments,, like our maseratis. keeping my GS during retirement worrys me alittle cuz of having to bring it to someone to repair and do pc work on it...u know, stuff that we may not be able to do..from what im told a 308/328 or 348 ,s are pretty easy to work on thats why i was looking at them. TKS Lorenz

·
Registered
384 Posts
hey guys i'm a ferrari tec in canada. i think a good 355 is you best bet. too many 360 and 430 which they are still coming down in price. the 355 yes cost more to maintain however i beleve in the US they are sell around $45 to $55 gs.also to service a 360 or newer ferrari we use the SD3. the older cars you can do many things yourself . you still need the SD1 to do a major service and reset of all sensors.with a sport exhaust the 355 sounds like a F1 car. good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
For me, the Ferrari timing belt maintenance vs the Maserati's chain drive is a big factor.

Can't really compare the cars. Different compromises for different purposes.... except maybe the 456.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ok but can u do alot of the work urself on a 355 or 360. for instance do u have to bring it to a dealer or somewhere to have a clutch put in cuz of needing an sd3 computer. im trying to find a car where i can do most if not all of the work myself instead of having to depend on someone having to hook up a pc to fix it or make adjustments,, like our maseratis. keeping my GS during retirement worrys me alittle cuz of having to bring it to someone to repair and do pc work on it...u know, stuff that we may not be able to do..from what im told a 308/328 or 348 ,s are pretty easy to work on thats why i was looking at them. TKS Lorenz
These prices are from a dealer, but was told that due to the age of 355's and the general but unfortunate practice of deferred maintenance, 355 engine-out majors are hitting $14K now.

My neighbor had to perform some much needed maintenance on his 2000 360 Modena to facilitate a sale. The extent of the deferred maintenance required an engine-out and came to $8500 at an well known independent.

It appears that the F550/575 and F360's are Ferrari's most reliable models thus far, although, the F430 should eventually prove even better. The caveat being that the F430 is every computer intensive, and what happens when those little magic boxes are no longer available 10 to 15 years down the road?

·
Registered
206 Posts
These prices are from a dealer, but was told that due to the age of 355's and the general but unfortunate practice of deferred maintenance, 355 engine-out majors are hitting $14K now.

My neighbor had to perform some much needed maintenance on his 2000 360 Modena to facilitate a sale. The extent of the deferred maintenance required an engine-out and came to $8500 at an well known independent.

It appears that the F550/575 and F360's are Ferrari's most reliable models thus far, although, the F430 should eventually prove even better. The caveat being that the F430 is every computer intensive, and what happens when those little magic boxes are no longer available 10 to 15 years down the road?
Where did you get that $14K number from?? It seems waaaaay high. Most "Major Service" for F355 I know are in the range of $6K to $8K (by independents) unless other things such as headers, cats or valve guides & etc. need to be replaced at the same time then it can get expensive quickly. If nothing else needed, just the major service itself is in the range of $8K to $10K even if done at dealers.

and that Bcube is exactly why I would not buy a used Ferrari out of warranty. My stunning Maserati Gran Turismo comes with a 4 year warranty and will never cost what it costs to service a 355 or 360.
...and you think a Maserati out of warranty is any cheaper to fix or maintain?
What you gonna do when your GT is out of warranty 4 years from now? Sure, service on a F355 or 360 is big $$ but it's a Ferrari they're worth every penny.

Please allow me to sum it up: It takes Love, Passion, Dedication, Money and BALLS to get a Ferrari that is out of warranty. I've done it. Would I do it again?.....you bet ya. :cheers: FORZA FERRARI.....oh, and Maserati too :laugh:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would rather buy a mostly depreciated late model F-Car or Mas w/o a warranty vs a new one and suffer the depreciation.

Example: our 06 GS. Bought about a year ago for $51. Warranty through Feb 2010. 4500 miles then, 12k now. Sticker price..in 06 (no idea what the actual out the door price was) $110,000. Not including taxes...reg fees. At list + taxes + NV reg..easy $120k all in. Assuming no finance.

THAT is a massive 3-4 year loss. I could of replaced virtually everything on the car for the $60k its lost from new.

When I get around to adding another horse to the stable I will have no worries buying an out of warranty car. Assuming its been kept up...and passes a PPI. Heck a 03 F 360 SPIDER can be had for $90-115. Those bad boys were what....$225,000 new (with the over list BS people were paying back then). THAT is a hit in a half in terms of depreciation. Again, if the car is healthy with good records...I will buy used out of warranty all day long.

With that said...if it weren't for the new car buyers 'bottom feeders' like me would have no cars to buy!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
but if u get an older ferrari like a 308/328 ,maybe even a 348 arent they less expensive to maintain and are they cars that DIY,S can work on? im thinking about the 355 that NICO was reffering to or something older

·
Registered
633 Posts
One thing for sure, is that nothing touches the sound of a 355. They just scream like no other. And they look a little more modern than the 308, 328 and 348.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I would rather buy a mostly depreciated late model F-Car or Mas w/o a warranty vs a new one and suffer the depreciation.

Example: our 06 GS. Bought about a year ago for $51. Warranty through Feb 2010. 4500 miles then, 12k now. Sticker price..in 06 (no idea what the actual out the door price was) $110,000. Not including taxes...reg fees. At list + taxes + NV reg..easy $120k all in. Assuming no finance.

THAT is a massive 3-4 year loss. I could of replaced virtually everything on the car for the $60k its lost from new.

When I get around to adding another horse to the stable I will have no worries buying an out of warranty car. Assuming its been kept up...and passes a PPI. Heck a 03 F 360 SPIDER can be had for $90-115. Those bad boys were what....$225,000 new (with the over list BS people were paying back then). THAT is a hit in a half in terms of depreciation. Again, if the car is healthy with good records...I will buy used out of warranty all day long.

With that said...if it weren't for the new car buyers 'bottom feeders' like me would have no cars to buy!
Not a "bottom feeder" at all! I wish I had known or thought about the depreciation when I bought my QP, dang it. I was mesmerized by the car and just wanted to buy buy buy it!! Now, I wish I had waited until it was a year old, and I would have paid 2/3 for it, and in another year or so, It may be almost half! Same for the Ferrari's I was looking very hard at this one:

http://continentalautosports.com/Vehicle.aspx?v=2001658

Its a 1999 360 modena for $78K asking price with 20K miles or so.

I actually saw this car at the dealership when I bought my GS there... I'm thinking now... But the services for these cars cost an arm and a leg if you think maserati services cost, these cost tons more I'm sure.

·
Registered
824 Posts
360 very expensive to service engine. 430 or Maserati a lot simpler and cheaper to service.

The look of the 355 is really growing on me. I don't fit in one very well. :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts