Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I washed my Spyder today and while doing so figured that I'd get the rear of the cabin and under the rear windshield. Bad idea.:mad: What I did was, with the top up I raised the rear portion (the part with the rear windshield) as if I were going to lower the top and did my cleaning. When I went to put the top back where it belonged the damned car couldn't figure out what to do. Sometime when I push the button to raise the top the windows automatically retract as they should and another time the don't move at all. The light on the dash that indicates the top being raised or lowered is also a top trouble indicator. Sometimes it comes on and others it doesn't. The regular raise/lower toggle switch doesn't do it's thing. I got out the book and followed the guide for locking everything in place (the top is up) but the controls are still screwy. Damn I hate to drive to Atlanta to get something like this worked on.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think it will work fine again if you cut off the battery for a couple minutes (switch in trunk, follow the directions in the owner's manual). You'll need your radio code though.

Mine got confused once, this cleared it up.

The same trick can fix several other kinds of electronic quirks in the car. It's the usual remedial step after trying ignition on/off as a cure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Listen to DeaneG

I think it will work fine again if you cut off the battery for a couple minutes (switch in trunk, follow the directions in the owner's manual). You'll need your radio code though.

Mine got confused once, this cleared it up.

The same trick can fix several other kinds of electronic quirks in the car. It's the usual remedial step after trying ignition on/off as a cure.
Yep that's the ticket --- LISTEN TO DeaneG. Of course nothing of mine is ever simple so I had to reset everything twice to get it to take but it's all fine now. Saved me 7 hours of driving and whatever the shop charge would have been. DeaneG if you're ever in this part of the country let me know. The drinks are on me. (I hope you like Tennessee sipping whiskey, Jack Daniels or Georgre Dickel.):)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Alchemyst,

Glad it worked for you. As an electrical engineer, I see these cars as errant children, funny and exasperating at the same time.

I'll look forward to that whiskey!

EDIT: for anyone else who uses this fix, note that a half-up top may drop suddenly when the power is cut off or restored. Get a helper to hold the top in place when you use the switch. Alchemyst, sorry I forgot to mention this, glad it didn't happen to you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts