Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Quattroporte Collezione Cento
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thoroughly been enjoying my '08 Collezione Cento for about 2 years now. I would not dream of selling it and dont like putting too many miles on it (It just hit 28K). My dilemma now is that I'm thinking I may "need" another QP as more of a Driver. My car has the 4.2 but the later 4.7 definitely calls me just because it's out there. I have generally thought the QP5 to be a sexier car than QP6 but still definitely appreciate both. I'm currently looking for an exceptionally nice 2011 to 2013 4.7 car, but I realize I can buy a 2014 car for similar money. Can anybody give some feedback as to dependability and maintenance cost factors related to the 4.7 cars vs the 6 or 8 cylinder '14-16 QP6 cars ??? I very much enjoy a sporty yet luxurious ride, I've had Jaguars and the XJR, as beautiful as it is, doesn't do it for me because it's not as smooth has a Vanden Plas. Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated from those we'll have driven / maintained both and can give a good comparison. I am in the Atlanta area if anybody knows of anything especially good in good colors available. I absolutely don't mind driving one home from else but hopefully somewhat closer than Seattle. LOL

6,069 Posts
A QP6 is gonna be more reliable than a QP5 just from the fact is newer and more modern...They do tend to wear the brakes at a better clip than the older cars..Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the internet... its been scientifically proven that the QP5 is better. 😁

I must admit this video is a compelling argument. Lol, albeit potentially biased. I am also somewhat more taken by the panache of Pininfarina coachwork. My estate will someday sell off my 1960 Pinin Farina built Cadillac Eldorado Brougham, #87 of 101 as well as my QP Collezione Cento, #85 of 100. I definitely could enjoy some of the upgrades of a QP6 but might miss seeing the Pininfarina badges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can find QP5 GT S, that would be the way to go. Super rare, and will hold its value much better in the long term.
This is definitely a consideration but as explained early on, in the Jaguar X300/308 world I am decidedly a VDP guy rather than an XJR guy. Actually the SuperV8 or Supercharged VDP would be just right but my passion has since moved to Maserati. I do like exceptional power but do not require blistering speed. Does the GT S give a significantly rougher track like ride as in XJR? I firmly believe that as long as i am overwhelmingly comfortable, I do not mind enjoying the longer journey... Especially in a Maserati. I very much enjoy my '08 for its comfort / handling ratio. Will a later GT S offer much better handling but at a significant cost in comfort?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jason, that's pretty much what I had thought would be the case. So the Quattroporte S would get me a 4.7 without compromising ride quality?
Also regarding the QP6, you indicated that newer technology will probably reduce maintenance requirements. Do you not think the complications of the twin turbo might tend to be more maintenance intensive down the line? If I were to go QP6, I'm pretty sure I'd want at least an 8 cylinder just because, that also is putting me to a GTS I believe which is going to give rougher ride quality, correct? I tend to not sell cars so long-term maintenance is probably more what I'm looking at rather than short-term.

6,069 Posts
A QP6 GTS rides good and makes stupid power...It is the one to have out the QP cars...The other cars are really just long wheel base Ghiblis...Maintenance is good on those cars as well..J

Reactions: Twistedcarguy

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I own a 2012 QP5 Sport GTS. In my opinion, the ride is firm but well-damped. Entirely liveable and I am very happy with the car. I've never driven a QP6 for comparison. My comments are made relative to a 1996 Carrera 2 and a 2012 Cayman R. I recently had the 993's suspension upgraded to MCS 2-ways with resevoirs because the old Bilsten HD suspension I used for some 10 years was just too "crashy" over sharp impact bumps. Big improvement with the MCS. I would also characterize each of those cars' suspension as firm but well-damped. I know what a luxury ride is like for comparison as we own a 2006 Lexus GX470 with air suspension since new. I love the GX470 ride for what it is, by the way. To each his own ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes you will get sticky buttons in the QP5. I do not know if it was sorted for the QP 6. One would like to think that after 13/14 years they would finally sort the sticky button rubbish though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts