Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering 03 coupe replacement , I testdrove a 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
0-60 better w Maser: you get the feeling of unlimited acceleration with Maser
seating capacity: 4 for Maser, 2 for Aston
HP: almost the same
comfort: better with Aston
ride : better w Aston
warranty: 4ys Maer, 3 with Aston

·
Registered
681 Posts
Maserati owned by Ferrari

Aston owned by Ford.

End of discussion.

·
Registered
681 Posts
haha said:
FIAT...however, Maserati engine = Ferrari engine :)

Ferrari owned it and Fiat owns Ferrari. But all of the current production cars were designed under Ferrari ownership which was switched to Alfa Romeo in 2005.

Still, there is more to a car than 0-60 times and comfort. A Maserati provides something an Aston Martin cannot, and it's not something I can put into words.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MVP said:
Ferrari owned it and Fiat owns Ferrari. But all of the current production cars were designed under Ferrari ownership which was switched to Alfa Romeo in 2005.

Still, there is more to a car than 0-60 times and comfort. A Maserati provides something an Aston Martin cannot, and it's not something I can put into words.
MVP,

I am new to this forum and very new to Maserati, but I think the word you are looking for is "passion". Only Maserati provides that!!

Saanik

·
Registered
202 Posts
saanik said:
MVP,

I am new to this forum and very new to Maserati, but I think the word you are looking for is "passion". Only Maserati provides that!!

Saanik

i completely agree, passion and soul are things only Maserati or Ferrari can still give you.

yes you can buy a smaller or larger car.
yes you can get a faster or slower car.
yes you can get a stiffer or smother ride.

but baby you only have one Maserati...

-Willie

p.s. unless you have a 007 title, there is no reason to get a old jaguar V8 engine, with a new ford payed body.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't know guys, I've driven the Vantage pretty hard and it is barrels of fun, besides being extraordinarily good looking.

Not better or worse than my GS, just different.

Not lacking passion, personality, or other intangibles. But of course that is subjective.

Maybe you are judging too quickly...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I test driven the V8 Aston as well... I do have a problem with the way it drives (at least in HK).

honestly i prefer the GS to the V8 Aston - at least on HK roads. Now the DB9 is a bit different.. but then we are comparing apples to oranges.

also the V8 Aston is around 30-40% more expensive here... so that's another negative point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fred said:
Possibly so, but the new V8 is drop dead gorgeous. If I had the means, I would own one.

Yes... I mean.... for me, the cutting edge driving machine is the aston martin vanquish S... Aston martin is so Elegant and Brutal at the same time.... (and "posh"..if you know what I mean..)

·
Registered
14 Posts
RQ said:
Don't know guys, I've driven the Vantage pretty hard and it is barrels of fun, besides being extraordinarily good looking.

Not better or worse than my GS, just different.

Not lacking passion, personality, or other intangibles. But of course that is subjective.

Maybe you are judging too quickly...

I agree !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
RQ should know what he's talking about... especially he's getting a V8 Vantage after his GS.
i have seriously considered the V8 Vantage as it is a relative bargain in canada. i have driven the DB9 and been a V8 Vantage.

the design is just amazing on the Aston Martins. the fit and finish is better than maserati. the sound as well. amazing.
i love how the db9 drives.. not sure about the V8 Vantage.

GS and V8 Vantage are definitely close competitors. both are very exclusive from two distinct brands, and are very well executed in their own ways.

for the Aston, you get only a stick. for the maserati, you get only a pedal shifter (on the GS).

i do have a problem with how the V8 vantage is priced in the US.
$110k + options easily get you to $125k.
for $10k more you can get yourself into a one year new 5000miles V12 DB9.

IMO the aston martin has a different personality. very bond. ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Haven't driven the AM V8 but it is arguably the nicest looking coupe on the market. All the magazine writeups compare the AM V8 to the 911 rather than the Maser. when it comes to performance. Lateral grip and torsional rigidity are vastly above the Maser.. Also, it has a V8 rumble than is spine tingling.
Just very dissapointed with the straighline performance....unacceptable for a car of this price and callibre.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with you on the pricing for the Vantage. With the premium that they are going for, you might as well get a DB9, and the V12 that goes with it.
I figure in 2-3 years, these will be on hell of a bargin.

M! said:
RQ should know what he's talking about... especially he's getting a V8 Vantage after his GS.
i have seriously considered the V8 Vantage as it is a relative bargain in canada. i have driven the DB9 and been a V8 Vantage.

the design is just amazing on the Aston Martins. the fit and finish is better than maserati. the sound as well. amazing.
i love how the db9 drives.. not sure about the V8 Vantage.

GS and V8 Vantage are definitely close competitors. both are very exclusive from two distinct brands, and are very well executed in their own ways.

for the Aston, you get only a stick. for the maserati, you get only a pedal shifter (on the GS).

i do have a problem with how the V8 vantage is priced in the US.
$110k + options easily get you to $125k.
for $10k more you can get yourself into a one year new 5000miles V12 DB9.

IMO the aston martin has a different personality. very bond. ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pasta and chianti or bangers and mash - you decide !!!

I have two pasta machines in the stable. The British car is for the rain....

(but then my last name sounds like spaghetti)

·
Registered
196 Posts
As an avowed anglophile I really like the current Astons, but for my own purchase would go for the Maser. I really like the Aston however. To me the Maser and the Aston are very similar, in a sort of "not a Ferrari and definitely not a Porsche" way. I find the maser an Aston after a blood transfusion. More warm-blooded.

The true 4 seat capability of he Maser seals the deal.

That Aston is "owned" by Ford does not faze me. Although I do not like the fact that the Aston engine is built in cologne.... which is in Germany. And I am Dutch. So bleh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have driven both. I have chosen the AMV8 based on performance, handling, pedigree, and exclusivity. Also, thre current Maserati just doesn't do it for me in terms of looks. However, if the new spyder with the retractable hard top comes out before I have spec'ed the aston, I could be tempted. Enjoy the enclosed images.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
birdness said:
I have driven both. I have chosen the AMV8 based on performance, handling, pedigree, and exclusivity. Also, thre current Maserati just doesn't do it for me in terms of looks. However, if the new spyder with the retractable hard top comes out before I have spec'ed the aston, I could be tempted. Enjoy the enclosed images.
I think the new Aston Martins are the best looking cars on the road today, better than anything Pininfarina has designed for the new Ferrari lineup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too think the AMV8 is the best looking of the current sport coupes. I put down a deposit and spec'd my car only to have the Porsche dealer offer me a July build on a 997tt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts