Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for the past few months, I have tried 6 times to get a metal to metal rattle fixed. The sound comes from the rear, when going over bumps, and can only be heard with the windows down and when the sound reflects off of something. After replacing both mufflers, tightening every bolt possible, looking at brakes, etc. the problem has been resolved: it's coming from the emergency brakes. There was some slack and hit the parts around it--apparently it was hard to diagnose because when on the lift, the e-brake was engaged, getting rid of some of the slack.

I mention this because while my QP (2008) was in the shop, I was given a 2007 QP loaner with the same problem (just not as loud). I just drove another 2008 QP and it too had that problem. So if any of you eventually hear this noise, ask your service person to look at the emergency brakes. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the post. I was wondering what was making that noise. Is it just an aesthetic thing or does it mean something is actually wrong.

·
Registered
859 Posts
So, for the past few months, I have tried 6 times to get a metal to metal rattle fixed. The sound comes from the rear, when going over bumps, and can only be heard with the windows down and when the sound reflects off of something. After replacing both mufflers, tightening every bolt possible, looking at brakes, etc. the problem has been resolved: it's coming from the emergency brakes. There was some slack and hit the parts around it--apparently it was hard to diagnose because when on the lift, the e-brake was engaged, getting rid of some of the slack.

I mention this because while my QP (2008) was in the shop, I was given a 2007 QP loaner with the same problem (just not as loud). I just drove another 2008 QP and it too had that problem. So if any of you eventually hear this noise, ask your service person to look at the emergency brakes. Just an FYI.
I've had something similar on mine and it turned out to be a loose license plate.
Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the post. I was wondering what was making that noise. Is it just an aesthetic thing or does it mean something is actually wrong.
It's more than purely aesthetic/aural problem...it usually indicates that the parking brakes will not engage as fully as they should because of the lack of tension. Regardless...it was somewhat embarrassing to have ppl turn their heads to look at my car because it made an odd noise rather than looking at the car for its beauty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts