Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always thought we had this agreement with birds. We would ignore them and not swerve and they'd fly out of the way at the last minute.

Was doing 120-125 and there was this lone bird sitting in the middle of the road. I wasn't going to swerve, I figured it would fly away as traffic got close (there was another car infront of me to the left that would pass the bird before I passe him).

It looked like something right out of a cartoon. I never saw it move, and then I feel a small thud and a ton of feathers in the air behind me!

An hour or so later, I pull into a small icecream shop to get something to drink. I've grown accustomed to people looking at my car and kind of staring, not too many Maser's around. So I get a small cone, turn around and go to walk back to my car and then I realized what they were all staring at

Once I got home, it took me 10 min to get it out. Had to use a two pair of slip joint plyers to literally rip it out it was wedged in there so hard!

Is there enough fresh air induction into this duct to suck the bird in or is this just a huge coincidence it ended up in this duct?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Poor birdie...

Man he/she must not have seen you coming... i wonder whether he/she managed to stick up a sign saying "I am screwed" (like the coyote in load runner)...

anyways... again poor birdie.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
poor birdie. i am glad they don't sit in the middle of the road too often.
btw can you smell a dead bird in your vents?

·
Registered
279 Posts
When I was back in my uni days in Sydney (and still driving the family Volvo 240 GL - awesome car!), I ran over a big lizard just outside my house (not deliberately). I left a lizard mark for nearly 100 metres and the smell was AWFUL.

I tried to spray the guts and blood off the road with water but the stinch was there for days! The council had to send over a water truck to jetsprayed the guts off the road. Phew! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did you feel any change in performance after hitting the pigeon???
You did noticed that it ended up stuck in your car's main ventilation hole... that is were your car breathes.

I bet that half the feathers of that pigeon are clogging your filter and restricting smooth air flow to your engine. I would advice you to lift your car, remove the LF tire and covering board... there you will find a compartment were the air filter sits. Open it, get the filter out and clean it with K&N air filter cleaner then oil it with K&N filter oil... or... another option would also be to buy a BMC air filter from Kevin at MVP and replace it... you would gain about 10hp on the way.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tubi can be an early warning system for birds..

with the Tubi growl, I see the birds flying away yards before I reach em

·
Registered
128 Posts
10/22 roadkill day

thats a horrible way to go this morning i killed a squirrel in my QP.... on the pass. side i ran over it with both the front and rear tire (thud thud)
on the way home i slowed down to look and it was as flat as a pancake.
ps
i showed my kids the pic of the bird... and told them this is what happens when you play in the street.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PacoSaca said:
Did you feel any change in performance after hitting the pigeon???
You did noticed that it ended up stuck in your car's main ventilation hole... that is were your car breathes.

I bet that half the feathers of that pigeon are clogging your filter and restricting smooth air flow to your engine. I would advice you to lift your car, remove the LF tire and covering board... there you will find a compartment were the air filter sits. Open it, get the filter out and clean it with K&N air filter cleaner then oil it with K&N filter oil... or... another option would also be to buy a BMC air filter from Kevin at MVP and replace it... you would gain about 10hp on the way.

thanks, already did (and have the BMC already). With the open exhaust and the car infront of me passing it less than 8' away in the next lane, I can't believe it didn't fly away.

I didn't notice any loss of performance. I drove for another 35-45 min (pretty aggressively) and no difference. I only knew it was there because I looked at it coming back to the car after parking.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Usually my exhaust sets off the pigeons' alarms and they fly away

·
Registered
660 Posts
Oh well, that's 1 less birdie to worry about...

Got a squirrel some weeks ago (there are quite a few in my area) but with the rear tyre, so I was lucky not to get any stench inside the car. A friend picked-up a seagull with his 348 last year near Brighton, the bird tried to evade the car but (unfortunately) he catched it at windscreen level... a big scare and 500 quid less, he was not amused.

Maybe it's just part of the experience...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Ha! Brings back memories. I was on my way to a mountain bike race in West Virginia a few years ago, with the bikes on the roof. We stopped for groceries (and beer) at a convenience store, and I noticed something unusual near on my bike's rear wheel. It turns out that a bird had committed hari-kari by flying into it at speed. I removed him, but kept one of the bird legs and attached it to my bike's headtube as my "good luck" mojo...freaked a few people out.

I also laughed at the squirrel stories, since my term for ultra-wide tires is "squirrel squishers"... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts