Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got these two codes after changing the clutch (rebuilt) and the vehicle will not move. When selecting gears ( 1st, N, R) in manual mode, everything seems normal. Gear indication on instrument panel changed to selected gear, can hear the gearbox and clutch assembly shifting. With the engine running or not, its the same. Stepping on the gas makes no difference. Code P2791 is "Gate select Direction Circuit Low" and P2794 is "Gear Shift Direction Circuit Low". Anyone had experienced this or heard of it, please comment. Thanks in adavance.

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
Rebuilt clutch as in a relined clutch?

Can you hear the F1 system prime? Those sound like low pressure but could be low voltage on the gear selectors. Hopefully one of the experts will be able to assist

C

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Have you connected the scan tool and reset the parameters (PIS and Deg Index)?

So, you're saying the engine starts and idles and it moves through certain gears. This means your clutch is open and if you hear the actuator, then there's adequate pressure to move the tooth. Is the display flashing? LIMP MODE causes the clutch closing to be disabled and should limit you to 1,2,R,N. I've seen them reject second gear too. A lot can cause this but it's probably related to the new/rebuilt clutch.

If you're using a rebuild in a 2005 (specifically 2005 MY, since they are the most temperamental), you MUST run a DEIS. It will calibrate the clutch spring and pressure in the slave. It may pass it, it may not. Try this first and see if it resolves.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Catman, the F1 pump does prime. Erik, I know it will need the PIS reset for sure, but I haven't done it yet. I was hoping at least the car would move, then take it in to have to PIS reset. It's a 2005 Quattroporte. It;s just the two codes which throw me off. Never seen them before. I have used rebuilt clutches on the Coupe before without any problems.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erik, you were talking about it being in "Limp Mode" with the display flashing. The only display flashing is the red gearbox trouble icon. Is this what you're referring to?

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Catman, the F1 pump does prime. Erik, I know it will need the PIS reset for sure, but I haven't done it yet. I was hoping at least the car would move, then take it in to have to PIS reset. It's a 2005 Quattroporte. It;s just the two codes which throw me off. Never seen them before. I have used rebuilt clutches on the Coupe before without any problems.
You cannot drive the car without the parameters being reset. The 2005MY cars don't like rebuilds. The 06 QP, with the updated plate and bell housing are a little less temperamental. Don't ask why, it's just the facts of life. You need to reset the deg index to 4K, set your PIS and run a DEIS. If this works, don't touch anything in terms of gear change grid regardless of codes. Those thresholds mean nothing when your NCR can't make sense of the parameters for the new clutch. You are probably getting codes relating to faults that are a byproduct of the bad parameters. This is just my theory because I've seen that before.

Unlike the 2006, the new clutch packs for the 2005 are only $1K. Next time opt to spend the extra $200. Plug n play, no issues. Ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Erik, you were talking about it being in "Limp Mode" with the display flashing. The only display flashing is the red gearbox trouble icon. Is this what you're referring to?
Yes, that's limp mode. The NCR will trigger that due to pressure or a internal fault, the latter likely being the case due to the clutch parameters. Just my guess.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Erik, thanks for all the help. I tried what you outlined, but wasn't successful. This is my first time doing it and the scanner I have is a Launch X-431 PROS MINI. I tried looking for " degradation index", but its not listed. I tried the " clutch configuration" but it range is ( -1k to 1k), but what's weird is its detected value is only (13.12.) far from our 4k value. I was told that "degradation index and clutch configuration " are the same on this scanner. Somehow I doubt it because the range and values don't jibe. I did tried running the DEIS auto with a PIS value of 4 and a value of 900 for the clutch configuration, but got message " procedure incomplete".Reason why I used 900 is because it doesn't take (13.12) even though that's the detected value. Does anyone have experience with the Launch scanner? Please feel free to comment. Erik, you did mention that the clutch packs are available for $1k. Can you let me know where? Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read the write up "Setting Clutch PiS" by tuli. Excellent write up by the way. But unfortunately I realized that I have the earlier software version V10.50 instead of the V10.96 version which tuli was using in his write up. V10.50 version does not allow decimal entry for PIS so I'm out of luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. I was able to update the software from V10.5 to V11. However, the V11 software for Q5 does not support decimal so I'm stuck. It does however work for Coupe, Spyder, and GS. I was thinking if this might be possible. Supposed that the TCM for Coupe and Q5 are similar, then in theory, Coupe software can be use on Q5 also. Any thought on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts