Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! My car is in he shop having the clutch replaced. If you remember, I'm the guys with the glazed clutch.

Well, it turned out that my Pilot Bearing and Bellhouse Bearing were bad. Can that caue the clutch to get glazed?

The dealer offered me to charge me only for the parts, even though my car is still under warranty. I'm ok pying for a worn out clutch, but if the clutch is damaged by a system malfunction I shouldn't be paying for it, right? My clutch was only 40% worn when it got glazed.

So, please experts HELP ME! Can those faulty bearings have caused the glazed clutch?

Thank you in advance!!

PS- My warranty expires in 30 days!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
17,000 miles. Started slipping around 15,000 though...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Help, Please!!!!!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I cannot imagine how either of the clutch shaft bearings going bad could cause the disk to become glazed. But if the clutch was slipping from wear, it would be easy to glaze.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the car with 12,000 miles and the PPI showed only 40% wear on the clutch. When the clutch started slipping (around 14,000 miles) the local dealer told me it was only a matter of adjusting the kiss point, and the car still had around 40% clutch wear. Now the computer shows 50% of clutch wear, so it shouldn't be slipping, right?

My point is, if I don't have control over the clutch so some malfunction in the system caused the clutch to get galzed, right? I just don't know what, because I don't know anything about that system.

In your opinion, what kind of malfunction could cause that?

Thank you for your help, guys, my warranty expires next month and I have to get more info to be able to fight it.

The mechanic was explaining to me about what caused the glazing and that made the service manager very uncomfortable, he would interrupt us all the time and I could see him getting upset, until he actually took the mechanic away. When the mechanic came back he started telling a whole new story that the clutch was just slightly glazed and bla bla bla. So I know there's something fishy in this story.

·
5,887 Posts
Now the computer shows 50% of clutch wear, so it shouldn't be slipping, right?
By most owner reports, your clutch should be getting near the end of its usable life. The readings are notoriously unreliable so there is aways the story of someone at 110% clutch wear with no slippage. With that said, many people have reported the need for replacement at 50-60% wear (as measured by the SD2/3).

Here is another owner's perspective....

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38041&postcount=10

Keep in mind, dealerships get paid very well on warranty work. They want to repair anything they can under warranty because it means more revenue for the dealership! If they are telling you something will not be covered under warranty, it is not because they want to turn away the extra revenue ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just noticed this thread while looking for answers to what seems to be a very similar case.

On tuesday my 2006 Gransport LE started losing power on the freeway in 4th gear, i pulled to an off ramp changing down the gears, when the car came to a stop in first i couldn't get it out of gear and the car would not move. I finally got neutral and then tried to get first again but the car still would not move. I let it sit and tried again, took some time to get neutral and then first and same thing but this time a huge amount of smoke came out from the hood and the car was again stuck.

I had it towed to the dealer and after 2 days of it sitting they quickly looked at it friday morning and said that it was a classic burnt clutch situation. They priced to replace the clutch, thrown out bearing, disc sensor and flywheel and having read other threads i like the dealer knew it wasn't warranty and decided to take it elsewhere to pay less than the dealer would charge to have it replaced.

The independent shop that the car was towed to has just informed me that the dealer didn't really look at the car as it appears that the clutch shaft bearing between the bell housing and the torque tube has gone and the drive shaft won't move. They think this locked up causing the car to stick and that this is a warranty item as it's not a wearing part.

My question is can this problem cause the clutch to also go as it seems to perhaps have overheated the clutch when it got stuck ?

The car has 13,000 miles and the independent and dealer both reported the clutch to be at 70 percent wear and it was 35 percent at 6,500 miles. The shop feels that even if the clutch is replaced the car still wont move as this bearing also needs to be replaced and why didn't the dealer see this as they would get paid both by me for the clutch and maserati for the warranty work.

Any one else experienced anything like this, seems like the dealers are always playing the clutch blame game as the shop it's at now has had 3 gransports this month come from this dealer with similar problems.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---If you remember, I'm the guys with the glazed clutch.
Who could forget that scenario!!!

Well, it turned out that my Pilot Bearing and Bellhouse Bearing were bad. Can that caue the clutch to get glazed?
And who said the noise could come from only two places the pilot bearing being one?

I presume the "bellhouse" bearing to which you are referring is the throw out bearing?

The clutch can get glazed by a bad T/O bearing, beacuse it's not fully disengaging the disc during shifts.

---The dealer offered me to charge me only for the parts, even though my car is still under warranty. I'm ok paying for a worn out clutch, but if the clutch is damaged by a system malfunction I shouldn't be paying for it, right? My clutch was only 40% worn when it got glazed.
I would push for them to warranty the clutch. I would argue that a bad T/O can cause disc problems and that is a system malfunction.

The pilot bearing has little effect upon the clutch disc but the T/O bearing is the culprit.

Another point is that Maserati parts like Ferrari are very expensive and less than reliable. I would have them rebuild the current disc at Clutchmasters in Rialto, CA. They will give a better quality disc for a fraction of what Maserati will charge.

Don't give in easily. That's what they want!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
GCalo, I think you nailed it! It seems like the "Bellhousing" bearing he was talking about IS the T/O bearing, and if that is the case most people I've seen here got the whole work done under warranty.

But I'll call the technician tomorrow to confirm about the bearings, he seems pretty honest, I just have to bypass the SM...

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Guys! My car is in he shop having the clutch replaced. If you remember, I'm the guys with the glazed clutch.

The dealer offered me to charge me only for the parts, even though my car is still under warranty. I'm ok pying for a worn out clutch, but if the clutch is damaged by a system malfunction I shouldn't be paying for it, right? My clutch was only 40% worn when it got glazed.

So, please experts HELP ME! Can those faulty bearings have caused the glazed clutch?

Thank you in advance!!

PS- My warranty expires in 30 days!
once they replace the bell housing bearing and pilot bearing it will still squeal that is not the source of the problem if you go back for the same concern with it still squealling they will replace the clutch free of charge : ) seen it work 6-7 times.... you are welcome .

·
Registered
793 Posts
once they replace the bell housing bearing and pilot bearing it will still squeal --- .
The issue described is quite confidently a T/O bearing. There is no automotive terminology of a "bellhousing" bearing. That's dealer talk to confuse customers.

The only two rotating items in there are those two outlined.

If both are replaced he will be fine.

It is extremely rare for a pilot bearing to go bad so obviously that bad T/O bearing was creating extra heat and vibration which lodged in the pilot bearing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
maserati clutch

Why do the bmw 's SMG F1 which I though was the same Graziano cluch last much longer is it the Siemens software thats better?

06 qp sport
06 gs spyder

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the clutch has already been replaced (+bearings), the car is still at the dealer waiting for some other parts that will be replaced under warranty, like those chrome finishings around the AC vents and the "gas filler flap". But I haven't paid for anything yet. They never gave me an estimate of cost or anything.

I called MNA today, they said I have to leave a message and they will call me within 72 hours. Let's see. Is there an email for customer service?

If they charge me for the clutch parts, should I ask for the used ones to check if the clutch was really glazed or worn out, for example? If so, would they be honest and give me MY parts or they could give me someone else's parts, in worse shape?

Thank again guys!

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Is there an email for customer service? [/Quote}

It's [email protected]

---should I ask for the used ones---
You are entitled to all the parts under Calif law but usually you have to indicate that on the original service order. Let them know, however, that you want them.

Now if they do not charge you anything and state they go to Maserati for warrany coverage, forget the parts.

After all the beating you have taken over this car on this site I hope sincerely you come out well.

Then on whom do I pick?$%&&%$#

BTW on my next trip down to LaJolla I'll want to see that car during my stop in Santa Barbara!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
141 Posts
Niteroi,
the $64000question here is WHAT bearing(s) did they replace.
If they changed the flywheel pilot bearing, then MNA will cover the labor and bearing under warranty, there is a bulletin outlining this, however this will not cause a worn/glazed/fried or bad clutch. In this case the clutch assembly is still your expense.
If they replaced the "Release" (AKA Throw out) Bearing, that would leave me to believe that something is wrong w/ the release bearing, does it leak fluid or bind (stick) on the shaft while trying to move the pressure plate springs? Either way, this would be grounds to have the clutch assy covered because these two failures will surely cause premature wear of the clutch.
As far as the kisspoint being out of range, it would have to be beyond 5.5mm
to slip the clutch enough to glaze it. (spec is 4.8 to 5.2mm)
You could also have outdated software in your trans ECU, allowing more clutch slippage on take off.
With all that said, 17k IS right in the average for clutch replacement.
The wear percent is merely an extrapolated calculation, not an absolute.
Use the % as a gauge not an accurate reading, I have seen perfectly normal
LOOKING clutches that slip and WASTED clutches that don't slip.
My advise after this is sorted out is to NEVER drive the car in AUTO mode,
avoid prolonged engagement/disengagement of the clutch (starting/stopping like in bumper to bumper traffic) and every once in awhile drive the car HARD through all the gears to wear away any glazing.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you, Kent!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts