Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's me again with more questions. I figure I would drive my Mas anywhere from 9-12 mile/ year. So I'm aware of the oil changes & when, how often price etc. But what about the clutch? How often does that have to be replaced? Is it better to drive in Auto or Sport (for clutch purposes)? Other than that is I read where somewhere said they needed their transmission serviced soon and it would be about $4,000. So what type of life does a Mas have. Is it something that if maintained properly can run forever or.....? Again I'm looking at a 04 Coupe. Help me out guys!

·
Registered
439 Posts
So it's me again with more questions. I figure I would drive my Mas anywhere from 9-12 mile/ year. So I'm aware of the oil changes & when, how often price etc. But what about the clutch? How often does that have to be replaced? Is it better to drive in Auto or Sport (for clutch purposes)? Other than that is I read where somewhere said they needed their transmission serviced soon and it would be about $4,000. So what type of life does a Mas have. Is it something that if maintained properly can run forever or.....? Again I'm looking at a 04 Coupe. Help me out guys!
Too many variables to answer specifically.
Assuming you are talking F1 gearbox, it depends on how many miles are on the 04 you speak of, and more importantly... how the previous owner(s) drove it.

Here are the basic no- no's:
1) Drive in Sport mode ALWAYS.
2) Use reverse sparingly, and try to never do this up any steep inclines.
3) Do not lift off accelerator while shifting gears. (some may disagree with this one, but....... it clearly states this in the manual).

And yes, I believe ballpark is $3500 -$5000 on a new clutch.

·
Registered
722 Posts
It seems like F1 clutches last most people about 20K miles, but I have read as little as 10K and as much as 50K. Mine looks like it will last about 35K (fingers crossed) based on current wear readings which can be inaccurate. My driving is about 50/50 street/freeway commute with little hooliganism.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The clutch - whether 6MT or CC - is a consumable like tires, battery, windshield wipers. Clutch life is too variable upon driving conditions and operator use/abuse to pinpoint. As DeaneG mentioned, 20K miles seems to be the general rule of thumb. Under 20K, adjust driver habits or find other routes to drive, over 20K is gravy.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Manual vs Cambiocorsa

Big Foot... no doubt there is a difference between the manual and the F1. But at least one can take some comfort in the fact that 11 year old 3200's are still running. I think this supports my thesis that a well maintained Maser can last for a long time... say 10 years and 100,000 miles. Of course there are no guarantees!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Try searching 4200....

Big Foot... no doubt there is a difference between the manual and the F1. But at least one can take some comfort in the fact that 11 year old 3200's are still running. I think this supports my thesis that a well maintained Maser can last for a long time... say 10 years and 100,000 miles. Of course there are no guarantees!
I get your drift as far as basing overall design life expectancy on the 3200 track record but it will be with "X" number of clutch replacements on a Coupe CC, whereas I got the feeling that Walls wondered if a long life can be expected even on only one clutch if he treats it "right". I think the realistic answer to that is no, although the actual mileage between replacements is hard to pin down and will vary as stated in the previous responses. And of course you're also comparing a V8 twin turbo in the 3200 with the V8 Ferrari engine in the 4200. Perhaps Walls can use your link to search 4200's in the UK - even though there's not much difference in the release dates in the UK versus the USA, I feel they generally have higher mileage in the UK (less multi-car households, more daily drivers - just my opinion), so he might get a feel for clutch replacement from such a search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2002 coupe help and advise needed.. New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm a new guy & i have just bought a 2002 Coupe. 13,000 miles Skyhook and paddle shift. California Car.

I have been trying to catch up on years of experience that i see you all have here. I have had a lot of Porsches, i currently own 2 (2002 Cabrio and a 1973 911 classic) and even a Ferrari 348 before but this car was always calling to me, the leather, shape and sound. Its a true Gentleman's car. But like all good Gentlemen, it will kick your ass if it is provoked i suspect.

So tell me what to do and what not to do. I have read about the driving in sport mode for clutch problems, and i have the service records, each 2000 miles the had an oil change..

Anything else i need to know on this car??

Thanks for the time and advise.

D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 05 GranSport, the clutch sounds slipping. It fell that it slips a lot even more if I accelerate quickly. You can hear it wearing down.

I have a SD3, what will be worst, leaving it as it is or doing a calibration?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.