Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I have a 2003 Spyder with now 11,700 miles on it. At the last service (11,500 miled) the clutch was reported at 71% wear. I have recently noticed that in some instances of a start from a dead stop there is a squeaking noise from the tranny (CC transmission). This is in Sport mode more often, but sometimes noticable in normal mode. I have not experienced any slips during gear shifts at high or low RPMs, nor is my start from a dead stop sluggish. The dealer of course recommends replacing the clutch NOW. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depends on how you drive

If your always around town, and just a phone call way from the nearest dealer, I would just say wait...

But if you like going out to windy country roads, it would be a bummer if your clutch went out and then you have to wait awhile to get a tow truck...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased a 2002 CC with 20000 miles a few months ago and I immediately noticed an occasional squeak when accelerating relatively hard from a dead stop. No clutch slip in any gear. I brought the car in for service when I bought it and they told me I had 80% of the clutch life left. I don't know the service history of the car, so I'm not sure if the clutch is original. I've put 2000 miles on the car and haven't had any clutch problems.

Macadoo

·
Registered
153 Posts
My previous car - a 2003, 4200 - once had a similar squeeling problem. The dealer replaced the thrust bearing as, apparently, it was a known fault. Perhaps if you can get them to do that, having the clutch replaced at the same time would be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Clutch squeak

I have had the same squeak since about last August in my GS (presently 22k km, started with around 8k km).
Finally the dealer has identified the problem, it seems to be a faulty spring (not enough tension in it due to a fabrication fault) which results in the clutch elements not pressing together with enough force.
It seems they need to replace the whole clutch to fix this, it will be done next week.

Greetings
Wäschpi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Gents. Seems like the squeak is not necessarily indicitive of immediate necessary clutch replacement. It appears that when the car starts slipping in gears (just as a regular manual) then I should get it in for the clutch.

I appreciate all the advice!

<New owner of an Italian car....just being cautious)

·
Registered
742 Posts
If its a faulty spring is the clutch covered?

If the dealer found the problem to be a faulty spring and the car is still under warranty, is your clutch replacement completely covered?

CM

·
Registered
153 Posts
My dealr decided to replace th whole clutch for me under warranty - essentially I got a new clutch because the bearing (and/or spring) had a problem. My dealer is particularly good. You may get yours to talk Maserati into it as well.
Good service works though - I love the car, I like my dealer and guess what.... I bought an updated 4200 from them! Customer service is all good business sense at the end of the day!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Mine developed a squeek at about 15K miles, with no slippage. The service manager reported that this is related to the materials used for the clutch and this also arose with 4Ports. He offered to swap the clutch for a new (upgraded?) one. I was about to do that when I traded in my coupe.

Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
They tell me my clutch replacement is fully covered by warranty.
Let's see...they insisted on me paying about USD 1,000 for fixing the hot brake problem (and they never answered my question about what the reason could be...).
Wäschpi

·
Registered
824 Posts
My clutch was replaced under warranty at 6000 miles for this problem.

It occurs in normal mode (slower engagement) when you use a little extra throttle. Apparently uneven clutch wear causes stickyness (twin plate?) so it makes that noise or something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Clutch squeak over

Got my new clutch today, all fine again.
It seems I got 35% wear with 23k km, but the clutch was badly burned, anyway, due to the squeak.

Wäschpi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
Wäschpi
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing