Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some input. Have 02 coupe gt. Clutch replaced at 7000 miles (warranty).
Then, started slipping after 200 miles, but fixed itself! Dealer detected no problem.
drove car 3800 more miles. Parked car Fri. eve.-ran fine (daily driver now).
Mon.AM clutch pedal higher up, and stiffer. slipping got progressively worse over next 10 miles- barely made it to dealer. They want $1800 to tear it apart and "see what's going on". No smell. No leaks. I drive like an old lady, so there's no abuse. Is there any other avenue to explore? I KNOW I didn't do the clutch in over 4000 miles! Thanks, everyone...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I need some input. Have 02 coupe gt. Clutch replaced at 7000 miles (warranty).
Then, started slipping after 200 miles, but fixed itself! Dealer detected no problem.
drove car 3800 more miles. Parked car Fri. eve.-ran fine (daily driver now).
Mon.AM clutch pedal higher up, and stiffer. slipping got progressively worse over next 10 miles- barely made it to dealer. They want $1800 to tear it apart and "see what's going on". No smell. No leaks. I drive like an old lady, so there's no abuse. Is there any other avenue to explore? I KNOW I didn't do the clutch in over 4000 miles! Thanks, everyone...
Hello waltos,
sometimes especialy on CC gearbox the F1 pump causes the slipping of the clutch. it does not de-clutch very well and this is caused by poor sealing and low pressure on the pumps drum.
Manual gearbox has also a pump but it is controled by the foot pedal.
Perhaps this is your problem, but at least you should have further indications such as smell or smoke.
One more thing is that every new clutch needs balancing.
If it is fit and not properly balanced, it will start slipping very quickly, but in any case smell and vibrations at around 4500-5000 revs would be your guide for the clutch's wear.
Ragards
PaNoS

·
Registered
49 Posts
My clutch height is different ...

when cold vs. warm. It has a lot of freeplay and the engagement is at the bottom of the stroke. After it warms up, it has very little freeplay and engages at the top of the stroke. I have no slippage. The dealer said this was normal but ?? I got the car with 10k mi it now has 13k mi. I notice that if I happen to slip at revs over 2.5k, I can smell the clutch burn and feel the wear. I think the motor is de-tuned between 1k and 2.5k to prevent clutch wear.

Slippage after 4k should not be considered acceptable. Hard to prove defect vs. driver induced wear.

----------------------
radgts3bk - 05 Spyder GT Triple Black 13k mi

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
"fy skata ma dio pooftahs".. (Greek reference for panos.. (marigny?)).... :D It is not normal to have a slipping clutch (especially on a GT manual) with that mileage, period! God, I love warranty repairs :cool: DO NOT drive like an old lady! Maserati's will go forever if you drive them like you stole them. If you drive them like yaya, they'll die.

·
Registered
86 Posts
"fy skata ma dio pooftahs".. (Greek reference for panos.. (marigny?)).... :D It is not normal to have a slipping clutch (especially on a GT manual) with that mileage, period! God, I love warranty repairs :cool: DO NOT drive like an old lady! Maserati's will go forever if you drive them like you stole them. If you drive them like yaya, they'll die.
"fy skata ma dio pooftahs" Sorry BUZZ cannot figure out what it means.
Perhaps translate it in English.
Only word making sense "skata" = s***:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts