Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so. I have a new 2006 GS LE. Just got it last month and love it.

I traded up from a 2002 M3 SMG so I'm still getting used to the differences between the SMG and the F1. FYI, I really wish I had the SMG in this car as its a much more solid system.

My biggest complaint is that the F1 seems to slip the hell out of the clutch off the line. No wonder people tell me that the clutch will only last for 20K miles. Dealer says I can have the clutch engagement adjusted which will slip it less but will make clutch engagement more severe. anyone have this done and want to comment?

My second complaint is that I've been able to spin the clutch very easilly. The first time it happened I wasnt expecting it and I basically redlined the engine with the clutch spinning and made that nice burning clutch smell that I havent smelled since I bought the BMW (you cant spin the clutch in a M3).

after that happened I stopped using full throttle for a while, but now that I'm back to spirited driving i've noticed that i can easilly spin the clutch with full throttle especially in lower gears. I'm getting better at catching it, but it still seems to happen way too easilly.

I'm not talking about hiting FT from a stop, I'm talking about driving in second and then punching it and watching the engine jump up 2-3K rpm as the clutch slips.

Is this normal? if it is, I am shocked!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
No its not normal. It should not slip under acceleration. In first the wheels should spin then the MSP cuts in and cuts the revs.

Neither of my CC Coupes have done what yours is doing

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the fold. Your clutch slippage is NOT normal. After having a clutch replaced at approximately 30k miles, I too experienced slippage while at speed. It turned out to be a defective throw-out bearing. Once replaced, the transmission behaved normally.

With regard to premature clutch wear, I suspect the diagnostic software Maserati uses which is intended to read clutch wear is very inaccurate. There is no, "Mechanical," link between the actual clutch and the software. As a result, I suspect many clutches have been replaced prematurely, rather than wearing out prematurely. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but given the breadth of forum contributions on this subject, that's my conclusion. My own experience bares that out as well.

There's no question but that the SMG is a more advanced system. It's simply newer, and comes from a company with enormous resources who are likely to develop and sort out new technology at a much faster rate. Remember, our cars essentially date back to the 90's when you consider when the system was designed. Mechanically, not much has changed with the CambioCorsa since its U.S. introduction in 2002, other than sofware changes intended to make the shifting smoother (much to the disdain of the sporting among us). It will be interesting to see if Ferrari/Maserati licenses the, "Audi," dual-clutch system, which by seemingly universal opinion, is the transmission of choice.

Get the GS in, and insist that they take it apart to examine the actual clutch components. Given the description, my money is on the throw-out bearing. In my experience, the dealers are quite able to sort these things out, resulting in an exotic car that you can drive daily, and likely enjoy getting into every morning even more than the BMW. Good Luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That definitely sounds like clutch slippage, however, it may not be the same problem that i experienced, which was more of a high-pitched chirping during upshifting than over-revving. I would think Maserati would repair/replace under warranty given such a new car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts