Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: 2006 QP with 17K miles has been slipping, shuddering, squeeling at times taking off if not babied. Particularly up inclines or around corners. Have smelled burning clutch a couple of times after incline. Transmission has locked up a couple of times in reverse.

First, dealer replaced pilot bearing. As of that time (this past summer about 4k miles ago), the clutch had 30% wear.

Problem contimues. Dealer now is replacing bellhousing assembly. Clutch wear is 47%.

Questions:
1. Why would the bellhousing assembly need replacement and would that include the throw out bearing?

2. Would the bellhousing replacement affect the premature wear of the clutch (would there be an argument that the clutch repacement should be covered under warranty)?

3. Should I replace the clutch now?

Thanks for any insight!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes absolutely the premature clutch wear and incorrect operation SHOULD be covered. I would also venture to say that they did not properly set up the kisspoint after the pilot bearing replacement. PM me if you need exact info regarding this. Best of luck --Kent

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you think the bellhousing assembly needs replacement (dealer service rep said he didn't know why ut that this has been a fix on a few cars) and how would this affect the premature wear of the clutch?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have replaced almost everthing on QP transmission systems and have never replaced the bell housing. I also havent seen any bulletins regarding this. At this point I would do a kiss point adjustment. A good kiss point adjustment can work wonders. If the clucth is still noisy after this I would say the clutch needs to be replaced. I have also seen the torque tube have excessive runout. So make sure it is inspected. I would be pitching a fit about the clutch and any cost that are involved. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well the reason why a bell housing is replaced, what happens is you have a bearing that is connected to the input shaft in the bell housing. under high load or even when it is cold in the morning.. the bearing physically spins inside the bell housing. if it spins enough times it will cause enough damage to the bell housing where it has to be replaced..the pilot bearing does not cause the squeeling noise on take off. as for the clutch wear.. the clutch wear is not a physical number. its actually calculated from when the time a new clutch was installed to self calibrated ( as in driving the vehicle over a period of time) you will start to see problems with shifting at around 80% clutch wear. hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts