Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first for me, the dealership recommended AGAINST a clutch replacement on a QP.

Clutch has about 20K on it and the TCU shows 0% life remaining. The car drives fine so the dealership recommends driving it until the clutch starts slipping and then bring it in.

My last experience with a clutch (not a Maser) was that I got about 30 miles between the clutch starting to slip and car being immobile.

My thought was to just replace the damn thing and not worry about it but the dealership says that the sensor isn't accurate and I could have 5K left on it.

Anyone with experience on this?

·
Registered
722 Posts
May have to report that dealer to FMNA, sounds like he was putting your interests first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you were to come to my dealership, i would not even take the risk of you driving the car. I can totally see the car come back in a flat bed truck. Apparently he doesnt want your business?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guys are the dealership are fine and I respect them if they are just trying to save me a few $$$ but I guess my questions are what is my risk of doing more damage (ie trashing the flywheel if the clutch goes) and is it likely that I could still drive 100-150 miles (to the dealership) once I notice the clutch starting to slip (or will the computer adjust the clutch so that slipping isn't really noticeable until it is too late).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You will notice the clutch slipping I believe.. on upshifts and downshifts...

I have heard stories of cars with 130% wear on the clutch still driving lol.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
congrats maseratiboy.....400th post!

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is great. The dealership sells you a clutch and gets called stealership. The dealership advises getting every bit of life out of a clutch and the get bashed for that too. If you truly hate the dealers that much find another brand, by all the comments here all the other manufacturers must be completely different than the Maserati dealers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi got a bit off info about clutches

hi
the sd2 and sd3 both give you a reading that shows the amount of life in the clutch but you can have another reading that give your a percentage that shows the amount of grip is left in the clutch, the clutch fitted to the 4200 engine is a twin plate clutch.
one friction plate could be braking up and the other plate is still healthy and able to grip.
when owning a 4200 just drive the car untill when you use full throttle the clutch slips then change it but i strongly surgest that you change the clutch switch as they dont like being moved or just being disconnected.
it will save you a furtune in the long run.
:) anthony :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts