Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need some feedback on a clutch replacement. I have a 2002 CC coupe with 4500 miles on it. The entire gearbox failed and is being replaced under warranty. The shop said there is 40% clutch wear. I am now averaging about 500 miles a month, so theoretically I will be do for a clutch in about 13 or 14 months. If I change the clutch now I will be charged for only the clutch parts and additional labor - about $2200 vs about $3600 for a new one. The shop says wait because the clutch parameters are on the conservative side and they don't think it's worth paying for a clutch now. I am trying to decide if I should do it now or wait the 13 or 14 months and pay an additional $1400.

Has anyone had any experience with the clutch read-out. How accurate is it. Is 40% really 40%? If the clutch fails in 3 months I will kick myself for not changing it out now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check out numerous previous postings on this topic.

I can tell you that I have a 2002 CC with 31,000 miles on it (yes this one gets used daily!). I also suffered a failure of the cc box (I assume the hydraulic pump failed on yours as well!).
From what I hear the clutch can last as long as 30,000 miles if you can avoid too much stop/start driving.

The read-out can be totally misleading since it only tells you how much "travel" is in the clutch. This can be set back to zero by the dealer running an adjustment program! So if it has been taken in with say 60% travel and has been reset to say 0% travel then you may be looking at a VERY worn clutch even although the new readout is 40%.

However - your dealer service history will reveal any "resets" - and at 4,500 miles you shold have plenty of wear left (unless the previous owner thrashed the car!)

Insist the dealer tells you how much WEAR is on the clutch taking into account any resets or adjustments done - and not just the current computer read-out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I decided not to change the clutch after talking again with the dealer. Yes they changed the gearbox and the pump. While I have had other small problems, all of which have been fixed under warranty, the gearbox has been a constant problem. I am really hoping I can truly enjoy the car now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
BrianS
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing