Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the regular clutch replacement of $4000 is really only $2700 according to the dealership. The reason the bill is $4000 is because they want to also replace the surrounding parts (Throw out bearing, FI sensor and
flywheel) which is something they prefer to do while replacing clutches
but seems completely unnecessary. Another Maserati dealership told me that replacing these 3 items during the clutch replacement is not nessary.

Can anybody tell me if there is any good reason to replace the flywheel,sensor and bearing? Can these wear out? Why would the dealerships want us to replace these if they know they don't have to be replaced (other than more money for them)? Is there any legit reason to replace these items and jack up the bill to $4k???

Zearnold

·
Registered
722 Posts
Typically, you always replace the throwout bearing because it's a $50 part with $300 labor to get to it. Flywheels used to be resurfaceable once or twice. Seems odd to replace the sensor.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ALWAYS do the T.O.B.

Resurface or change the flywheel

I don't know about the F1 sensor, but based on the price I don't see why you wouldn't.

My outlook on it - I'm driving a $100,000 car, it's probably my second biggest personal expense I've made besides my house. Am I really going to be that cheap and try to save $1,300 by not changing parts the manufacturer of my car recommends? How much of a pain would it be down the road to have to change the T.O.B. by itself or that F1 sensor? Maintenance is ALWAYS cheaper than repair.

·
Registered
773 Posts
short cut

let the dealer do his job, he is right! no short cut, or what ever goes wrong is going to be your fault! in my shop, mostly big trucks, all TOB are replaced, its automatic. well even in a Manuel transmission, pivot in maserati should be done as well, remind them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The is absolutely no reason to change out a flywheel on a 400 hp car with less than 60,000 miles on it. Yes, it is a Maserati, but in essence, it is still just a car the uses a flywheel to engage a clutch just like every other car on the road.

I agree you should change out the throw bearing, because truely it cannot be that expensive of a part and is subject to some wear-and-tear. But unless you have allowed your clutch to deteriorate so badly that the metal-on-metal physically damages the flywheel surface, this is money that can be saved.

I have a 700hp ralley car with 25,000 miles on it that is subject to WAY more abuse than my coupe's flywheel and it screened flat with only a .01mm difference from new. It takes alot to damage a flywheel.

Disclaimer: If you ever had an oil leak or a situation where the dealer did not adequately tighten an oil plug or filter, than yes, you may consider a flywheel resufacing. The oil embeds itself into the pores of the metal and causes the clutch to slip and recatch at certain points. This continued choke point can cause your flywheel to warp.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Two things about the Maserati flywheel that may be different than your race car - 1 - it is much smaller, using a twin disc clutch. I'm willing to bet your race car has a single disc clutch, with much more surface area for clutch engagement, plus a more aggressive pressure plate and clutch compound. I'm willing to bet the Maser flywheels are subject to quite a bit more heat, and after seeing a couple that have been changed at this recommended time, I would say its justified. I'll take a pic the next time we are doing one if you'd like to see for yourself.

I think its better to just do the recommended maintenance, avoid problems, and if you can show everything has been done, the car is worth that much more if you decide to sell it.

- Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts