Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gearing up to do a clutch on a late 2006 Quattroporte and I wanted to know what recommendations folks have for places to have clutches remanufactured. I have already contacted HR Clutch and ClutchMasters as per recommendations in other threads.

I also wanted to know if any of you F1 gurus could tell me if it is possible to have a 207700 clutch core rebuilt as a 228738 spec as 228738 assemblies seem to be much harder to find. My clutch is still good, I just want to have all of my pieces sorted for when it goes so I'm looking for a core to have rebuilt as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
The calibration of the F1 software, i.e. the TCU/Nodo Cambio Robotizzato is tied to the Valeo clutch, friction coefficient, thickness when new, etc. You would have a hard time being successful with your endeavour. Also, do concentrate on having a very competent machinist machine the flywheel... because there have been a number of fails, on that account too.

You may have a Sofast3 versus a Sofast3+ clutch, the former being cheaper... so (potentially) take solace in that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sofast3+ but I've read that that may in fact be beneficial if I'm trying to run a non OEM part.

6,185 Posts
The non OEM parts have not seemed to work out to this point on these cars...I would take into account that most of what your reading is from guys that have never put a clutch in one of these cars or any car for that matter...Most likely just repeating information they acquired via the internet and you can't trust everything you read on a car forum...Jason

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
545 Posts
concentrate on having a very competent machinist machine the flywheel.
The research I have done on the F136 flywheels suggest that the drive surface is machined with a very slight concavity.
If that is true, the set-up of the blanchard grinder to get a proper profile will take skill. Having a flywheel machined with a conventional flat profile may be the cause of issues with rebuilt flywheels. Jason, do you have any info on this?

6,185 Posts
What? I'm not a machinist honestly..Where did you see that? I just send them out if needed and they machine both surfaces flat ..If you notice I try to make things as simple as possible...This sounds like making something more complicated than it is honestly...J

·
Registered
369 Posts
Flat makes sense, but why do some machinists appear to have prbs doing it? I know the machined surface is inset, relative to the outer teeth, and so the cutting has to be done on-end, not straight across... but it should be doable...

Seems to me that the lathe's toolpost is configured one way to approach the ID, but has to be rotated to approach the OD, so maybe that gives them some trouble?

·
Registered
545 Posts
If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that the non-flat machining is to take into account the warping of the flywheel by the tension of the clutch assembly, much like using torque plates on a bore/hone. As far as machining is concerned, most re-surfacing is done on a grinder ( Blanchard or jig) to get as close to zero runout (axial and radial) as possible. When they were first manufactured they were probably cut on a cnc lathe.
I was unable to reference the Ferrari spec on re-surface (there is one), but Brian Crall owner of Hill Country Ferrari Service,
Brian Crall Company Incorporated Lakeway, Texas - Brian Crall, Ferrari Service, is a Ferrari trained technician with a lot of experience with 430 clutches and flywheels.
Hope this helps, Ed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very interesting, Oishi, thank you! Gives the OP an avenue to arrive at his desired destination. By all means, OP, share with the Community, what you learn, if indeed you follow-up with this lead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts